Dude...

Pike - Coil vs. Air

Hi, I recently ordered a 2009 Pike U-Turn Dual Air 454. When I got home today, and opened the package that had arrived, I found a Pike U-Turn Coil 454. I immediately figured I would send it back, but now I'm having second thoughts..

Would any of you who have ridden both, or even if you just feel strongly, give me your opinion on whether to keep the coil, or to get the dual air? I read the reviews, but they kind of sucked.

Also, I'm about 180 ride ready. Would the coil that came with the shock work, or would I need something stiffer?

And, by the way, I picked up an 08 Spot in August, and I absolutely love it.

mtbr member
    If you don't mind the extra weight I would stick with the coil. I have an air 454, my buddy has a coil. I have not had time to fully break mine in, but his coil feels better.

Also, less to go wrong with the coils.

Most people here think the PIKE is great for the Spot. I don't think you will find a better 140mm fork. If the coil was a bit cheaper, get some money back and enjoy it.

TG

Dude...
    Thanks for the response.

I'm actually replacing a Fox 32 Talas. I wanted to upgrade to the 20mm TA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Either Pike will give you a more supple ride than the Talas, IMO.

The Talas is just a bit spikey.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    +1 for the Pike v. the Talas. As far as air v. coil, I can't comment, but my coil Pike is great. Once I dialed it in and played with the oil levels a bit, it soaks up small bumps great and it's a monster on the big stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I love my coil Pike. I also came from a Talas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebry74
    Hi, I recently ordered a 2009 Pike U-Turn Dual Air 454. When I got home today, and opened the package that had arrived, I found a Pike U-Turn Coil 454. I immediately figured I would send it back, but now I'm having second thoughts..

Would any of you who have ridden both, or even if you just feel strongly, give me your opinion on whether to keep the coil, or to get the dual air? I read the reviews, but they kind of sucked.

Also, I'm about 180 ride ready. Would the coil that came with the shock work, or would I need something stiffer?

And, by the way, I picked up an 08 Spot in August, and I absolutely love it.
    I have had a pike air (2006) and pike coil (2007) and liked them both (but preferred the air). The problem I had with the coil was that if I used the medium coil the fork was butter smooth but would bottom out over 2 foot drops and when I switched to the heavy coil the ride was no longer plush. I'm about 30lbs heavier than you so the medium might be the ticket.

Dude...
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning towards keeping the coil, and upgrading the spring. The next spring up falls in the 160 - 180lb range, which should be perfect for me. I'm a little surprised that they sell the coil fork with one spring, and don't allow you to pick the one that supports your weight.

How hard is it to change the springs yourself, or to change the oil? I have built up plenty of frames myself, but have never cracked open a fork.

How does everyone like the maxle? I don't have my wheels yet, so I haven't experimented with it yet.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ebry74
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning towards keeping the coil, and upgrading the spring. The next spring up falls in the 160 - 180lb range, which should be perfect for me. I'm a little surprised that they sell the coil fork with one spring, and don't allow you to pick the one that supports your weight.
    Don't buy the firmer spring until you find you are bottoming the standard spring too often. A proper coil weight should bottom travel occasionally with your regular uses. The ratings are for very extreme use.

The Pike 454 coil is an awesome fork!

Dude...
    Good point. Thanks.

I AM I AM
    I had an air pike and since replacing it (new longer travel bike) with a Coil domain I'm pretty much a convert. The domain feels "plusher" than the air pike even though I need to get a softer spring for it. If I was to get a Pike again I'd be option for coil. BTW I think the Pike only comes in a coil option for '09, some other fork in the RS range takes care of an air version with that amount of travel (revelation?)

Love the maxle, it's like a qr lever but stronger and easier to use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you got an air shock in the back, id say go for an air fork. The pike air u-turn is like 0.4 pounds lighter than the coil u-turn so, think about that. You can also infinitely adjust the spring rate on the air which you cant do on the coil. You wont ever have to swap springs.

Last thing, the air is worth more than the coil so if you end up keeping the coil, get some money back form the shop, like 50$ at least.

I have an air u-turn on my 5spot with a pushed rp23 out back and I could not be any happier.

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by ridewithchucky
    I have an air u-turn on my 5spot with a pushed rp23 out back and I could not be any happier.
    +1 to that, style and trail have as much to do with it as anything now that air suss is more refined and durable.

if OP is at 180 lbs and doing moderately aggressive XC or AM with extended ascents, air works very well. I still happily run airs as a Clyde, as do many Homers who aren't hucking.

OTOH, if you are airborne and doing more aggro FR or part time DH style then coil is your friend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have had a boat load of coil forks, hybrids and until recently a Pike Dual Air. For tune-ability The Dual Air is tops. Unless it was an open bath Marzocchi coil all the single sprung coils - Fox , RS, Manitou were hard to balance bottomout & small bump compliance.

I AM I AM
    Consider though that the extra cost of the air fork is most likely because it comes with a Shock Pump. Over here at least the price of a shock pump aftermarket is about equivalent to buying a new fork spring - which once you got correct you shouldn't really need to change anyway.

But yes I agree that adjustability is one thing that air has going for it as well as weight. It probably needs to be maintained a bit more frequently though.

If you do keep the coil then I would ask for some money back (depending on their listed price)

mtbr member
    I also came from TALAS. Now I'm enjoying my PIKEv 454 Dual Air.

JK2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I bought a coil Pike 454 but couldn't get it to feel right - the standard spring was too soft and the firm too firm (i am about 190 lbs with gear). so I swaped the spring side for an air uturn mechanism. i like the tunability of the air - especially if i am playing with rear shock settings too. If you stay with a spring and it feels slightly too soft don't forget to try the motion control to increase low speed compression. turn the floodgate all the way off (the little gold knob counterclockwise) and turn the blue knob 1/2 to full on. i can be really helpful for getting the fork to sit up in its travel especailly on stepper rougher terrain where a softer spring might dive and pack up.

JK2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I bought a coil Pike 454 but couldn't get it to feel right - the standard spring was too soft and the firm too firm (i am about 190 lbs with gear). so I swaped the spring side for an air uturn mechanism. i like the tunability of the air - especially if i am playing with rear shock settings too. If you stay with a spring and it feels slightly too soft don't forget to try the motion control to increase low speed compression. turn the floodgate all the way off (the little gold knob counterclockwise) and turn the blue knob 1/2 to full on. i can be really helpful for getting the fork to sit up in its travel especailly on stepper rougher terrain where a softer spring might dive and pack up.