mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Which Pike for a 5-Spot

Took my 5-spot to the Sierra Nevada range in Spain and - predictably- it rocked. Nice to see the guides riding them as well I really noticed how flexy the Fox Vanilla up front compared to my friends' bolt thrus.

Searching the forum, the Pike seems to be the bolt thru of choice here. I had a set of revelations on another bike and I'm pretty impressed with RS since I abandoned them many years ago (riding on SIDs in those days...).

Can't decide if

a. It's worth having the u-turn
    b. whether to have the extra weight of the coil.

Mine's an 05 spot with a push'd RP3. I'm 175lbs and heavy on abuse and light on smoothness but this is my bike for all day rides and I don't want to make it any heavier that I have to.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have a Pike Dual air (dead moss grey), so no coil and lightish which is great. I decided not to take the U turn version as I didn't change the travel on my former Talas and I don't regret it one bit.
    It flat out rocks. My vote goes to either DA or Air U-Turn.

AC is 518 instead of the prescribed 501.
    Last edited by Mr Bling; 03-05-2006 at 02:29 AM.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Anytime. Anywhere.

454 Air U-Turn

I just replaced my Fox TALUS with the 454 Air U-Turn. I used the travel adjust when tackling long climbs. My axel to crown increased 21mm with the change which I compensated for by swapping high rise bar to a low rise.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It is worth having the U-turn and coil imo. You get useable plush action at any travel setting. The coil is a little more adjustable than the air version because you can wind down the travel a little further. There is no air seals to blow on the coil and it is not that much heavier.

mtbr member

Glad you liked Spain!

Got any photos?

I intend to get the 454 air-U turns like Travis. Ideal, I'd say, especially with your rear shock.
    'The Fear' is your friend...

No, that's not phonetic
    Get the u-turn air. I found getting the correct spring rate in my coil Pike to frankly suck and the coil is not nearly as tuneable against bottomout or setting sag as the air. All you gain with the coil is weight.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks all. I'm better informed although possibly still not quite able to make a decision. I think a little actual eyeballing of different options may help. I like the U-turn on my revs and they seem very plush but my friends coil pikes were fantastic.

H'mm.

Deano - have you finally ordered your new spot yet?

mtbr member

Nope

Still titting about with the colour - very soon though.

Have you read DGCs review of the 454 Pike?

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id72.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    Still titting about with the colour - very soon though.

Have you read DGCs review of the 454 Pike?

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id72.html

Linky not working. Doc doesn't seem to exist. Was it good?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Alex-Leigh
    Took my 5-spot to the Sierra Nevada range in Spain and - predictably- it rocked. Nice to see the guides riding them as well I really noticed how flexy the Fox Vanilla up front compared to my friends' bolt thrus.
    Who did you go with in Spain? Was it Ciclo Montana?

I went out there when I first got my 5 Spot and Mark was all excited to see one as it was his "dream bike". I gave him a test ride on mine and he was so taken with how well it rides that he now sells them!!

Its a great place to ride out there. Sure you had a great time!

mtbr member

Hmmm

Used to be there. I'll send you the pdf.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailDog
    Who did you go with in Spain? Was it Ciclo Montana?

I went out there when I first got my 5 Spot and Mark was all excited to see one as it was his "dream bike". I gave him a test ride on mine and he was so taken with how well it rides that he now sells them!!

Its a great place to ride out there. Sure you had a great time!
    We did go with CM and the fact Mark was riding a 5-spot gave me no excuse not to chase him. We managed - on one fantastic singletrack - to outstrip one Spesh Enduro, one Heckler, one Truth and one Yeti 575. Vive le spot!

Sadly there was SO MUCH F'KING SNOW we couldn't get high so missed some of the best trails. I'd use them again go as they were great - not their fault about the weather. Did lots of street (stair) riding in Granada which was ace.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Oh Deano - thanks, will have a read at lunch. Purchase is currently on hold until I can find out why the thieving b@stards at the IR have decided to charge me an extra £500 of tax this month. The current answer I'm geting is "because we can mwaahhhh"

Pics from Spain. Nothing that great but to give you an idea of the snow.

http://alexleigh.fotopic.net/c878561.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Edwards
    Good to see the lawn ornament is still up to usual tricks.
    Jon - he was. Give him anything with a ledge and he was off. And when it got muddy, of course he came over all "policeman look so young nowadays and this country has gone to hell in a handbasket" kind of middle aged thing. It was all I could do to stop laughing

Right then I'm tending to the air u-turns...

mtbr member
    Good to see the lawn ornament is still up to usual tricks.

I n response to the original question - air U-turns. My old man has just got a set for his Heckler and is utterly besotted. Still loving my coils too. (now on the Soda).

Roll on Luchon for some proper weather!

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Coil is plusher straight out of the box, while the air needs some time to break in the seals, at which point it isn't quite as supple. Within a handful of good rides, however, it will loosen up and it feels equally supple as the coil. I have a Team coil on my townie and a 454 dual air on my Spot. A coil which will provide bottoming resistance over good sized drops will compromise small bump sensitivity. The progressive nature of the air spring will allow you to have both. U-Turn or no is your personal choice. The idea is great in theory, but I always forget to use my travel adjustments on trail, so I didn't bother this time around.

You can always run a larger tire in the rear to help offset the geometry changes brought on by the taller fork.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Decided!

I found that Tim Flooks (UK Suspension Guru) does the Air U-Turns at list but "breathes" on them and sets them up with a bit of insider knowledge. So I'm going with that and a new front wheel and bread and water for the kids for a month.

Thanks for the advice.