mtbr member
    May 2004

Pike on an 06 RFX?

Been riding my 05 5 Spot, it climbs so good! But, really have been thinking about an RFX and the close out price is so good and I think that green looks pretty cool, or I can def live with it. (although my king headset is pewter and not sure if it will go with the green, no biggie).

Anyhoo, so as to try and get away with not buying another fork, as $ is tight, do you think the Pike will be fine on the RFX, or will it steepen the geo too much? I guess if it's too short, I can sell it with the Spot frame when I get the RFX
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Been riding my 05 5 Spot, it climbs so good! But, really have been thinking about an RFX and the close out price is so good and I think that green looks pretty cool, or I can def live with it. (although my king headset is pewter and not sure if it will go with the green, no biggie).

Anyhoo, so as to try and get away with not buying another fork, as $ is tight, do you think the Pike will be fine on the RFX, or will it steepen the geo too much? I guess if it's too short, I can sell it with the Spot frame when I get the RFX

I'm getting a six pack here in the next couple of months. I'm also getting a lyrik for it, because the thinking is that the Pike, even with the Ventana spacers, makes the Pack more like a 6 inch spot in the geometry. I was going to run the Pike until I got this deal I couldn't refuse on the lyrik. Otherwise, I was eyeing the 07 Zoke AM SL, or maybe some version of a Z1.

Some have posted that the Z1 light is the perfect Pack fork.

Hope that answers your question.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    I had a pike on my pack for the same reason that you want one. After riding for a couple of times it just didn't feel right. I had the fly over the bars feeling.
    The Pike does mess with the geo. sell the Pike and some spare parts and find a used 06 zoke 66SL. the fork is light tough and ultra adjustable.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by *FRAMEBREAKER*
    . sell the Pike and some spare parts and find a used 06 zoke 66SL. the fork is light tough and ultra adjustable.
    That's the one I was thinking of
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member

Do-able

I rode my RFX about 9 months or so on a Pike, and loved it. I don't do any real serious DH stuff-usually short steep sections, and just some moderate AM and some lite FR thrown in. It is a bit steep when the trail points down, but nothing too bad IMO.

I recently went with a Lyrik, part to fix the head angle issue, and part b/c I have started hitting the bigger drops...but I really am missing the progressiveness of my Pike...(air uturn). The Lyrik (coil) is bottoming on stuff I'd have 1/2" of stanchion left on the Pike...but that (hopefully) will be cured w a stiffer spring.

I'd say ride that Pike while you save for a bigger fork-if thats the kind of riding you will be doing. If you don't really need the 6+ inch fork, the pike is aite!
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

Wicketed
    the pike is a great fork. but if you put it on a pack, i really would suggest getting the spacers for the headset. i've been running a pike on a pack without spacers, and it sort of negates the confidence boost you get from the frame on the steep downs. i've just bought a second hand z1 light because of this issue.
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Z1 Light is a very good alternative to the 66SL.
    Might want to wait for the 07 AM SL, or the 07 66SL too.
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Spec Stumpy Comp FSR 29er
    Turner DHR 2005, drilled

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am running a Pike with the Ventana 4mm spacer on my 06 RFX. For trail/AM riding (some jumps, 3-4 foot drops on trail, and some stunts) it's fine. If you're planning on going bigger....might want to bump up the front fork. I'm in the process of making mine a 5-pack with 5-spot rockers right now to make the rear less pedal influenced for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

You'll be fine with the Pike

I am the same story as you. Coming off of a 5 Spot, I started out with a Pike on my RFX and it was fine for a good while. I eventually got a taller Z1 and more recently, a Boxxer Ride for trips to Snowshoe and playing around.

It might be overkill but you can pick up a new '05 Boxxer Ride with u-turn adjust for $299 off of pricepoint. It's travel will adjust from 5-7" There are a few other really good deals on tall freeride forks on other websites as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I actually rode my old school RFX with a Marzocchi Z150FR for a while, then swapped it to a Pike after I wrecked the Zoke. I ran the U-Turn coil at 130mm and the bike felt like the most rugged trailbike I could ever have asked for. It was stable up hills and carved like no other (also helped that I had the steerer tube cut to 7 3/8"). It did feel a little bit more twitchy in the air and the drop offs certainly took a little bit more finesse and nerve. Recently I put a Lyrik 2-Step air on and love it. The bike not only gets the stability back, it also just looks right. DT even said the Lyrik is for the RFX. I will admit that during climbing, the front end did wander a bit, but that's the great thing about the 2Step.....just crank it down and the front end drops down to lower than the point I had the Pike. The ETA feature in Marzocchi does a similar thing, but limits the travel to like 40mm instead of 115. The higher BB will take a little getting used to, but the bike will reward you with miles of smiles.

Bryan