Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Picking the perfect 29er fork for my new sultan:

I have a box full of some really nice handpicked parts and a Reba SL sitting here waiting to jump on my new Sultan frame when it arrives. I have viewed most of the Sultan setups and noticed that a lot of the riders have the White Brothers Fluid-29 135. Nobody around my bike shop knows a lot about them – So I was wondering if you guys would be kind and give me some input. Most if not all of my riding has been on Cannondale Fatty Suspensions and I know nothing about the other brands. My mechanic likes the Fox F32 29er but said that he doesn’t think that it is worth the extra $ compared to the Reba. In thinking about it, I want the Suspension that I can feel BRAVE with and not wonder if I am taking my life (body aches) in my own hands. In short I want to take that trail less traveled and not take 3 hours to get out of bed the next morning. (And at 42 that is becoming a more of an concern then in my early years.)
    A little about me: I am 6’ 5” and am about 215 lbs. Most of my riding is hard-trail and XC but I would really like to hit Galbraith Mt. with a vengeance. I am not looking to through away my money but if I can justify the extra $ for a plusher ride I don’t my mind. I would really be grateful for any guidance that you can give me. Thanks to all and I am looking forward to showing you all my baby when she is up and running.
    Evan

No, that's not phonetic
    Forks I have tried on Sultans: Reba 100mm, Maverick DUC32 115mm, Manitou Minute 29 120mm, and the WB F135. I have owned the DUC and F135, and demoed the others. So far I like the F135 the best by a good margin. I think it compliments the handling of the Sultan better than it's shorter brethren, and the damping is actually quite nice. It looked absurdly spindly at first, but it has a reasonably stiff chassis. I also like their thru axle design a lot. The knobs suck, and the arch is anemic, but otherwise I think WB did a pretty good job on the fork. Runner up would be the Minute. A Reba 120mm with thru axle is on the horizon too, and it may be a real contender. The current 100mm reba is just too wimpy for anything other than xc or smooth trail imho.

I have not tried the new Fox 29er, but based on all the experiences I have had on Floats over the years, I'm not in a hurry to get on one. Perhaps the worst line of forks ever imo.

Do you already have wheels? At your weight and riding style, you should strongly consider a 20mm thru axle front in any case.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Yeah, definitely go with a thru axel fork at your weight. The White Brothers F135 is a proven winner; I've been riding one on a Sultan for over a year now. In fact, I even built up a second Sultan around that fork because it alters the ride characteristics so much compared to the Reba (or presumably the Fox). The upcoming Reba 120 with Maxel lite should be nice too, and some folks are happy enough with the Minute 120 TA, so you've got a few choices.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

gravity curmudgeon
    Any idea how soon the Reba 120 Maxle lite will be available?

mtbr member
    I have Minute with TA, I must say I was afraid of the Manipoo fork but so far so good (knock, knock). I didn't had a chance to try the others, but I like the performace. The only think that really bothers me is the clicking sound coming from the platform valve.

I am looking forward to try the new Reba - that may be the ultimate fork for Sultan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    Any idea how soon the Reba 120 Maxle lite will be available?
    Rumors have it within a month

SBK
    HMFIC
    I put a White Bros Magic 100 on my Sultan over the winter. Sure does feel a bit "snappier" than the Reba setup I had previously - I assume due to the difference in fork offset and stiffness. It's a great fork so far, I'm very happy with the change on my Sultan.
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the input guys; well at least I know that the Reba is going back (I think?). I can now tell the powers that be “My new Sultan MUST have a better fork!” I would like to learn some more about this new 120mm Reba, such as the eta and price ect…, I can only wait so long to play with my x-mass presents before I just exploded and if this new Reba is the fork to have maybe I should hold on to the 100mm Reba and use it until the new one is available.

No, that's not phonetic
    I *think* the msrp on the 120 Reba thru axle is about $700. Street price will be lower eventually.

The Reba is all new for 2009 and is offered in both a 26″ & a 29″ version. Both sizes offer QR or Maxle Lite and have available travel from 80mm to 120mm. There is a brand new BlackBox Motion Control damper that features a titanium spring tube as well as Dual Flow compression and rebound. Exterior wise, the new Reba sports new graphics and subtle power bulges that increases stiffness.

Prices go from $475 for the Reba SL 26″ to $701 for the Reba Team 29er w/Maxle Lite.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Expert Crasher
    I'm the voice of dissent I guess. From my understanding, the Sultan is a 29" version of Turners Flux, so it's got XC origins. Sure, it can be run with the F135 and a coil CCDB for a AM build, but I think your build should be oriented towards what you predominantly ride. In my case, I went from a 5" travel 32lb trail bike with a 140mm Fox TALAS to the Sultan but my intent was XC trail riding and racing (for fun). The 100mm front fork and a good 44mm offset on the Sultan and it's ideal for what I was looking for.

I think I'll jump on the 120mm TA Reba, pending the AtoC measurement is fairly close to the 510 I have now. I like the motion control system and plan to run a bit more sag with some floodgate to ensure my front end isn't jacked to the sky.

That being said - I loved my 32 TALAS and wish we had a 100-120-140 option for the 29er as well.

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    I'm the voice of dissent I guess. From my understanding, the Sultan is a 29" version of Turners Flux, so it's got XC origins.
    Nope. Turner's 29er version of the Spot, actually.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Forks I have tried on Sultans: Reba 100mm, Maverick DUC32 115mm, Manitou Minute 29 120mm, and the WB F135. I have owned the DUC and F135, and demoed the others. So far I like the F135 the best by a good margin. I think it compliments the handling of the Sultan better than it's shorter brethren, and the damping is actually quite nice. It looked absurdly spindly at first, but it has a reasonably stiff chassis. I also like their thru axle design a lot. The knobs suck, and the arch is anemic, but otherwise I think WB did a pretty good job on the fork. Runner up would be the Minute. A Reba 120mm with thru axle is on the horizon too, and it may be a real contender. The current 100mm reba is just too wimpy for anything other than xc or smooth trail imho.
    I agree with Tscheezy !!!!!!!

Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    A 4" Spot?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    A 4" Spot?
    You may consider it a Flux in terms of travel, but it is definitely a Spot in terms of geometry and tubing. The Sultan def handles more like a Spot than a Flux. I base this on having owned a Sultan and a Flux, and having ridden a Spot.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I would be the second lone voice in the woods along with GLG. There are very few times that I wish for more travel, or a higher/slacker front end than I get with my Reba 100.

But if a Talas 29er was available, my wallet would instantly become somewhat lighter!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    My understanding may be askew , would not be the first time. Not that I care b/c the smaller wheels are so dead to me I think I've read stuff like this before though.

Turner website calls the Sultan a "full suspension XC frame", the Flux a "pure XC machine" and doesn't call the 5Spot anything but aims it towards "aggressive and versatile" riders.

After further review - and some searching powered by a good cup of Starbucks Mexico El Retiro medium blend - I have found the answer we all seek here - from the man himself. Or, for an early definitive answer - look here.
    Last edited by GreenLightGo; 05-03-2008 at 06:56 PM.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Not sure about comparing ride characteristics (since the Sultan rides so much better than all the 26er Turners, anyway ), but I do know that the Sultan tubeset is very similar to the 5 Spot. Significantly beefier than the Flux. Maybe that's what JNC is remembering?
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    My understanding may be askew , would not be the first time. Not that I care b/c the smaller wheels are so dead to me I think I've read stuff like this before though.

Turner website calls the Sultan a "full suspension XC frame", the Flux a "pure XC machine" and doesn't call the 5Spot anything but aims it towards "aggressive and versatile" riders.

After further review - and some searching powered by a good cup of Starbucks Mexico El Retiro medium blend - I have found the answer we all speak here - from the man himself. Or, for an early definitive answer - look here.
    How about this one

Quote Originally Posted by DT
    Spot Spot Spot

In my mind this is a Spot, a 4" travel 29" wheeled Spot, the way it will be ridden and that means from a light build 24 hour racer with Reba to a WB Fluid 130 on the front and Aqua approved wheelset. And like the Spot class bike the weight for a complete bike will be about 26-31lbs depending on the build (and frame size) Like the Spot it will not be the lightest on the starting line at the 24 Hours of Adrenaline, but it will be your friend when you are brain dead at 2am, and on a all day big mountain epic there will always be a bigger bike going bigger, but like the Spot it will be just a versatile trail bike.

DT

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Not sure about comparing ride characteristics (since the Sultan rides so much better than all the 26er Turners, anyway ), but I do know that the Sultan tubeset is very similar to the 5 Spot. Significantly beefier than the Flux. Maybe that's what JNC is remembering?
    Sultan & Spot share the same tubing.

But Sultan shares the Flux's shock mount & bottom bracket machining.

Sultan rides closer to a Spot than a Flux but I guess it can fill any niche between the spectrum of those two bikes depending on fork & wheelset choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So are we saying that the 135 is overkill when matched with the rp23? Or is it just overkill altogether?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Evank777
    So are we saying that the 135 is overkill when matched with the rp23? Or is it just overkill altogether?
    My opinion is that this is a perfect combo

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I was hoping to hear that.
    O.k. on a different note, does anybody want to buy a REALLY COOL Reba Sl 29er? Just joking

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    There is a catch to this. The F135 will make the stock RP23 feel like garbage, you'll need to get the RP23 Pushed to make it the perfect combo Squeak is referring to IMHO.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    who cares about your opinion...there is only one opinion that matters around here and its not yours, b1tch

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    There is a catch to this. The F135 will make the stock RP23 feel like garbage, you'll need to get the RP23 Pushed to make it the perfect combo Squeak is referring to IMHO.

B
    Or slap a coil on it.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast