Living the Dream

Performance difference between 2005 & 2007 X9?

I am about to put an 05 Sram x9 trigger shifter and derailer on my Spot. Is there a noticeable shifting performance difference between the 05 & 07 model?

BTW, I just got my 2007 66SL ATA today. Im gonna run in on the 140mm setting until my 2007 RFX arrives.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    actually yes. here is my understanding anyway:

2007 X9 pretty much equals 2006 X0, and so on...therefore 07 X9 would potentially be quite a bit better than 05 X9. Having said that, I am not sure how much is material change (versus function) with the X9 now incorporating composite...and thats for chicks.

get 07 X7....it comes in all black and should function as well as 06 X9 but looks way better and has no girly composite material.

perhaps some SRAM whores can elaborate

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes, IMO.

I just built up a Flux with 2007 X9 shifters and rear der. There is a small performance upgrade with the 07's but it's noticible. The shifters are the biggest difference in both looks and performance. A much more positive click over the older X9's. The old X9's felt mushy to me but the X9's and way different feeling.

Therefore performance wise, not a huge difference but positive shifting wise, a BIG difference.

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I am not sure how much is material change (versus function) with the X9 now incorporating composite...and thats for chicks.
    oh good! because UGI has mee looking at SRAM...and '07 X9 may even be in the ball park of what i can sort of afford...and since it's for chicks...
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

mtbr member
    I have 05' X9 on my Spot, my brother just built up a Yeti DJ w/07' X9. The shifting is just as good between the 05' and 07' IMO. Where the 07' differs in the quality of the material. My 05 is cast aluminum and has cracked on my bar, my bad, I over tightened it just a bit too much. The new stuff has a better build to it. If money is a factor I would have no problem recomending the 05 stuff if you can still get it but if you have the extra $$$ get the new stuff.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    The short answer: The 07's are two better than the 05's

Thanks folks, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your servers.

But seriously, I have '06 X.0 shifters and '06 X.9 shifters and the X.0 definitely have a more positive feel, particularly on the upshifts (i.e. into a smaller cog). It certainly looks like the X.9 shifters use the same design as the previous X.0 shifters. I will probably migrate my older X.9 shifters to the newer design in the next few months.

trail fairy
    Alpenglow I am about to put an 05 Sram x9 trigger shifter and derailer on my Spot. Is there a noticeable shifting performance difference between the 05 & 07 model?

BTW, I just got my 2007 66SL ATA today. Im gonna run in on the 140mm setting until my 2007 RFX arrives.
    my 2c
    I'll add one major advantage with 06 XO and 07 X9 is the mounting onto the bars the clamp is an individual component that has independant adjustment, plus its more durable earlier X9s which suffered cracks or breakages at the clamp from overtighening or during a crash.

Our crew went through 7 or 8 of these alone, the 07 X9 resolves this is way superior the shifters are crisper though not as stiff as XO imo, the rear derailuer uses the same srping in the mech as XO and I can tell no difference, I don't know fOs issue with the color its nearly all black way better looking than X7 but thats opinions for ya, I like Mudbunnies he dosen't, Im camo hes a red n black sorta guy

Definitely go 07 X9 you won't be disapointed and also you'll be Sram converted, 05 Sram could dent you, its not bad but the new stuff is just way better and fixes the negitives or the first generation stuff

>>
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by dHarriet
    oh good! because UGI has mee looking at SRAM...and '07 X9 may even be in the ball park of what i can sort of afford...and since it's for chicks...

You may be surprised what you can afford with Larry at Mtnhighcyclery. Give him a call tomorrow after 1:30pm to find out.
    Astigmatic Visionary

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    You may be surprised what you can afford with Larry at Mtnhighcyclery. Give him a call tomorrow after 1:30pm to find out.
    it's true...when i was building up gigi i actually bought my bike, wheels, crank/bb, and headset...and various other bits from Larry...and i did get some great deals! we were phone pals for a while...while my wheels were being planned...and hadley was having issues...but that's a different story...so Larry's number is permanently programmed into my cell phone. when that drivetrain UGI knocks my socks off...Larry will deinitely be the frist to know!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

rr
    I don't do PC
    I use XO gripshifts so I can't speak for the shifter but the '07 der uses forged linkages and hanger mount piece compared to cast alum pieces prior, should be much stronger, I broke 3 of the previous X9's. I did manage to ruin an '07 der already though, took a hard rock impact and the hanger mount piece bent, the previous model would of just shattered.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    oh! oh! oh! pick meeee!

after havin ridden '05 x9 for the last year and havin some time with the new stuff, i have nice things to say and can help make the direct comparison yer lookin for.

the '05 is very user friendly with its positive click engagement and stiff-ish paddles. jumps from 1 gear to the next are fast and flawless. the weight is quite reasonable and so is the price with the closeouts you can now find.

on to the '07:

i spent a long, very long day on these and i was instantly impressed with the changes. they took a good product and advanced it into a great one. 1st, the engagement is much more positive. this may be from the lighter paddle feel. as you used to be limited to a 1 gear per shift movement, this years pod allows as many as a 3 gear switch up the ratio with a hare trigger like feel. takes some gettin used to but its there for ya when ya need it. its lighter and more compact on the bar and have some adjustment along the length of the bar much like the xo's for a slightly better range of comfort adjustment next to the brake lever and less chance of damage in a fall. (edit: nevermind) rebuild and service seem to be a touch easyer too by the looks of things.

nuthin wrong with the last gen pods, its just that these are the better moustrap and likely well worth current priceing to anyone who likes a better shift, more shifting options and self serviceability. check em out.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 11-24-2006 at 04:15 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

breathing helium
    I got some 07 X-9 triggers and rear derailleur from Larry at Mtn High and have really enjoyed them. I have a new set of 05's but after seeing the newer 07's, I didn't even bother with them. The shifts are really crisp. Apparently the only differences between the X-9 and XO are the housing being plastic rather than carbon (little weight savings), the thumb paddles don't adjust (they are in the "0" position of the XO, not really needed in my opinion), and the internals are not bearings but bushings (Like Turners!!!!). Oh, and Larry's prices make it hard not to upgrade. Good stuff all around.