ga mtnbiker
    Apr 2004

Pedal strikes on my Flux

I rode my XCE for almost 5 years before I traded it for the Flux back in January.

Both bikes had 175mm crank arm length and I never noticed much of an issue with my pedals or cranks ends hitting rocks or roots. Maybe once every few rides.

Now with the Flux, it's happening several times per ride. My new XT cranks have lots of nicks in them after only 2 months riding. First, how much difference is there in the BB height of the Flux vs. the XCE? One search turned up a number of 12.8" vs. 13.5". Is that accurate?

What can be done to reduce the number of strikes? I'm running the correct sag on my RP3 according to Turner's website. Can an increase the psi help without risking a harsher ride? I'm currently running my Fox Vanilla fork at 100mm but thinking of increasing that to 125mm. Is that a recommended move?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    Give it more time, you'll probably get used to it. I had a few pedal strikes per ride when I first got the flux, but a year later I rarely strike a pedal. It's the price you pay for the low center of gravity. You just start to watch your pedal position a little more and especially keep the inside foot up in the corners, which is good technique anyway.

I wouldn't run the fork at 125 IMO unless it was for mostly descending.. which is unlikely on a flux

mtbr member
    Are you really going to notice the +25mm in the front?

At this point what will affect you worse, pedal strikes or slacker HA?
    My own situation is different, but I kept hitting my pedals and sometimes while cornering. That dosen't seem bad but it can make you crash at speed. I didn't go to shorter cranks because this is a 7" bike and I need the 175s leverage to climb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

sag

Double check the sag! I see so many bikes running 50% of travel on the shock shaft. Check it again from time to time, 'specially at season change when gear req'ts change, more water or more clothes or ?

Just 'cause the bikes have the same travel does not mean they were ever considered for the same kinda riding. The Flux is not intended to work as well in the rough as the XCE or Spot, with the lower BB it just can't. The Flux was really designed to replace the 02, but with more travel as the market was demanding a plusher ride for the same kinda riding in all the catagories.

DT

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    also check yer pp setting. #2 should do it. if yer on #1 (softest setting), it may be too light causin strikes and a too squishy of a feel overall.

i can tell ya i rode my flux through some nasty, rocky, choppy, rooty, rutty crap and rarely had this issue at 25% sag weighed w/ full ride gear and a full c/back bladder. but it aint no 5" + bike, kinda like dt suggests, so ya gotta time yer pedal revolutions once in awhile. its all a part of adaptin to a new bike and becommin a better rider. do this and youll love this bike more than any other in its class. maybe more than any other... period.
    No, I'm NOT back!