mtbr member
    May 2010

Parts for 2011 5 spot build

Please forgive my ignorance (i'm a newbie at buildouts)
    I unfortunately broke my 2006 5 spot frame and have found what I hope to be is my new 2011 5 spot replacement (frame with RP23).

I am trying to figure out how much I would have to pay in additional parts to use as many of the existing components as I can from my old setup.

So far I have rough estimates (outside of the frame ~800) for a few things that a buddy told me I would need. Please tell me what I'm missing, and ~cost estimates. I unfortunately don't have the 2006 specs (geometry etc) but have found the 2011 specs. (size M frame)

My old bike parts.....

Medium frame w/ Fox RP23, 5" travel - A few scratches and some cable rub. Looks and works great overall.
    Fox Float 32 140 R - scratches on lowers. stanchions are excellent. works perfectly
    Mavic 317, XT, DT Swiss Wheels - Excellent overall
    Panaracer Fire XC Front, WTB Moto rear tires - NEW
    Hayes Stroker Trail brakes, 160mm rear, 185mm front - Working well, but could use a bleed soon
    XT Derailleurs - Front is like new, Rear is well scratched. Both work well
    SLX Shifters 9spd - Scratched but work perfectly
    Shimano Hollowtech Cranks - Very scratched. Teeth are good though
    Truvativ bars and stem - bars have some scratches, stem is excellent.
    Thomson Post - perfect
    WTB Vigo Comp seatChris King Headset

The beginning of the new build-out

800 frame
    144.95 bottom bracket
    160.00 tapered threadset
    20.00 brake adapter
    140.00 seat post

~~~~~~~~
    You should only need a new headset, a rear brake adaptor and you can use a shim instead of getting a new seatpost. Your prices are really high, where are you shopping for parts?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i was looking at chris king parts for the headset and bottom bracket........seatpost was a rough estimate and so was the brake adapter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Does he need a brake adapter? The 2011 frame is post mount and he's running A 160 rotor. The caliper should bolt right onto the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    also, do i need a pressed or threaded bottom bracket?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    threaded. Up to now Spot frames use 73mm threaded bottom bracket, so you could get the one from your old frame and put it in your new frame as indicated by airwreck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Threaded, thankfully.

~~~~~~~~
    good one, no need for the rear brake adapter.

Sounds like you are going for some quality parts. Are your BB bearings bad now or have you had issues with bad bearings before? The Chris King BB is considerably more than a typical bearing replacement.

Personally I would put some money towards a new fork, but you may have to update your front wheel for a larger axle if your present one is normal quick release. You will want to consider a tapered steerer fork which would also require a different headset. You could stick with a straight steerer but they are becoming less common, except used.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Hope stainless BB is a good tough one and cheaper than the CK, but the Shimano XT BBs are pretty durable these days (they weren't when externals first appeard). Speaking of Bang for Buck - I reckon the RS Revs are pretty good. They work well and they don't require maintenance every 5 minutes like some others.