Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Hmmm. After the last time you had an Endo(s)? Really? Just buy Lance's since you know Dusty will take care of you. Or treat yourself to an on sale now Sultan which is the 9er you should have purchased in the first place.

Bob
    Yeah..really. I love the Chili, best bike I have owned by far for the stuff I ride. A super light Endo would be killer and much more versatile than the Pivot I am on now. If I were to stay with a 29er, I would probably go with a RIP9 as I have some time on one and like the way it rides. A Sultan might be an option if there were a killer deal on one, but a Knolly would still top the list. The real question is 29 or 26?

An no, I'm not buying Lance's bike, it's the wrong color

Of course, none of this matters unless the Pivot sells for a decent amount.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I don't care what bike he buys, won't slow me down at all.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I'll be on a new Endo if I can sell the Pivot. Built nice and light, and a great compliment to the Chili.
    Pivots sell fast! Wow! Merry Xmas to tiSSer.

Knollician
    Pivots sell fast! Wow! Merry Xmas to tiSSer.
    Yep, they sure do (it helps when they are priced right). Even better is it was a local sale. We met up at T100, 10 minutes after he took it for a ride we were heading to the bank

Looking forward to getting a more purposeful and functional bike.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone I hope you all get some great saddle time in.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to getting a more purposeful and functional bike.
    650B Endorphin??

The DT has sold as a complete bike and I'm lowering the 5 Spot frame to $850.
    The Avalanche modified DHX shock is still available as well .
    Last edited by KRob; 12-22-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    650B Endorphin??
    Doesn't exist...

Burner does.

mtbr member
    Doesn't exist...

Burner does.
    True, but after a brief ride on a new Endorphin while down in Phoenix a couple weeks ago I'd say the Endorphin 650B (when it does come out) will give him a little more separation from his Chili. Eventhough the Endo650b and Burner will have the same travel, I think the Endo will be more XC/trail oriented versus the Burner's Trail/AM leanings.

The Endo is light, efficient and fast. Not like the old Endo at all.

Besides, I don't think tiSS'er is a big dw link fan.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    True, but after a brief ride on a new Endorphin while down in Phoenix a couple weeks ago I'd say the Endorphin 650B (when it does come out) will give him a little more separation from his Chili. Eventhough the Endo650b and Burner will have the same travel, I think the Endo will be more XC/trail oriented versus the Burner's Trail/AM leanings.

The only question to answer is will the new Endo have a longer time before top tube to seat tube cracks, top tube to head tube cracks or chainstay cracks than the old Endo? I hope so.

I know about TiSSer's problems with DW link which is why I was surprised when he bought a 429 and I can guess what bike the knollician will buy. I am still working on you.

Although I suspect that even though you rode a DW 5 spot for the last year and a half as your primary ride and would not have been outbiked at the Knollfest in Phoenix, you will succumb to the Knolly peer pressure and be on a chili soon even though the Burner or 5 spot would be better for 90 percent of your rides. Merry Xmas!

Bobo

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Stay on topic, this is your ad, even if Turner's little succubus is trying to have its way.

mtbr member
    Although I suspect that even though you rode a DW 5 spot for the last year and a half as your primary ride and would not have been outbiked at the Knollfest in Phoenix, you will succumb to the Knolly peer pressure and be on a chili soon even though the Burner or 5 spot would be better for 90 percent of your rides. Merry Xmas!

Bobo
    Why do ya gotta go and muddy the water with all that logical thinking and facts. Bike purchases are all based on impulse and emotion. You should know that.

No peer pressure at the Knollfest (maybe some envy on my part on the climbs). In fact it was kinda cool being the only one there with the old school DT....and in that uber-chunk I was much happier/comfortable to be on the DT than my Spot when the trail pointed downward (although I don't think I would've been too underbiked on the Spot)

While what you say may be true (and I do lust after the Burner...and would love to have a '12-'13 Spot with the slacker lower geometry and 142mm rear wheel spacing), I think the Chili is more versatile. I could take it from a 30 lb 5 Spot competitor with lighter wheels and air suspension to near-DT levels of gnar-competence with heavier wheels/tires and a 180 fork and it'd still be five lbs lighter than my DT.

As much as I like my 5 Spot and as cool as the new Spot and Burner are, Dave still doesn't make a bike that will do that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Stay on topic, this is your ad, even if Turner's little succubus is trying to have its way.
    That's true. I should get back to spaming my parts.

Did you see that I've lowered the 5 Spot to $850?..... and I still have some nice Havoc wheels and a really cool Avy modified DHX ti coiled shock on the block?

Actually kinda surprised the mods haven't locked this thread. Sorry about the derail.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Did you see that I've lowered the 5 Spot to $850?..... and I still have some nice Havoc wheels and a really cool Avy modified DHX ti coiled shock on the block?

Actually kinda surprised the mods haven't locked this thread. Sorry about the derail.
    I disagree. This thread is actually an interesting debate on what bike you should get next. I think that might be the reason for this website. To talk about bikes. Good and bad.

And since I am a male it is incubus... Accuracy, facts and all that.

Although Dave Turner is not a demon, so that is not accurate either.

Bobo

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I disagree. This thread is actually an interesting debate on what bike you should get next. I think that might be the reason for this website. To talk about bikes. Good and bad.

And since I am a male it is incubus... Accuracy, facts and all that.

Although Dave Turner is not a demon, so that is not accurate either.

Bobo
    Oh it was accurate, Dave's the one dreaming .

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

The ti spring probably won't fit my CCDB....boo.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Oh it was accurate, Dave's the one dreaming .
    Mr. Blunderbuss?

Knollician
    The only question to answer is will the new Endo have a longer time before top tube to seat tube cracks, top tube to head tube cracks or chainstay cracks than the old Endo? I hope so.

I know about TiSSer's problems with DW link which is why I was surprised when he bought a 429 and I can guess what bike the knollician will buy. I am still working on you.

Bobo
    I guess I am not sure why anyone cares what I buy, but I can appreciate that Dave has guys out there shilling for him, I do the same for Knolly. It's a great sign for Dave. And it should be no big mystery what bike I'm getting, it will be here later this week or next

Bobo feels the need the to keep brining up the breaking issue I had with my previous generation Endo. It's true, I cracked it a few times (never catastrophic I was never stranded), each time Knolly had me squared away. Noel has addressed the problem and the new frames are solid.

Bobo, if it makes you feel any better, I broke my 06 RFX 4 times in 18 months. I first broke the seat stay in Flag. I then broke the main triangle at the taco. Shortly after that, I broke the chainstay at the CNC'd dropout, and finally the rockers. The dropout break required a nice long hike back to my car. After the RFX, I broke an 07 Spot. I broke the top tube right at head tube., The break went nearly all of the way around, and had I been riding, it could have been bad. I may be wrong, but I think Lance broke his DW Spot a few times, once before and once after the gusset was added. Rex, a member in our group, is on his 3rd DW Spot. Fact of the matter, stuff breaks. Knolly, Turner, Ventana, Yeti, Giant, Specialized, etc. You of all people should know SOMO eats bikes. In fairness, turner always took care of me.

When I broke the Spot, I was lucky enough to talk to the man himself. He asked what I was riding, and I told him. He was less than thrilled, saying the Spot was not the right bike and should be on an RFX. One problem, there is no RFX. So he then said the Spot would be a stronger option than the old Spot, but he still would rather I be on an RFX. Dave knows the terrain here, and he knows what his bikes are capable of. I've said it before, and I will say it again, if something is going to break, it will break here.

I have had the opportunity to ride DW Spots, Firebird, and Mojo HD, and I like the Knolly 4x4 better. I think it climbs tech better, and it certainly descends better, and just works with the way I ride.

As for the 429, I had a greater expectations. Pivot, being a local company, should know better. Lots of people out there raving about them (as seen by how quickly it sold). There were a few glaring issues. The first, was the rear tire clearance. I could only fit a 2.0 or a small 2.1 on the back. The cable routing sucked, I couldn't get the DW dialed. A friend of mine who is a huge mini link fan, was blown away by how rough the bike rode. It felt like it had 2" of travel. His Jet 9 with 85mm of travel is significantly more plush. I expected more out of Pivot on that one, and it looks like the new carbon 429 may address the issues.

It's all good....Merry Christmas. I hope you were able to get out today, SOMO was super quiet this morning.

**PLEASE STOP READNG THIS BABBLE AND BUY KROB'S STUFF**

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Wink

I guess I am not sure why anyone cares what I buy, but I can appreciate that Dave has guys out there shilling for him, I do the same for Knolly. It's a great sign for Dave. And it should be no big mystery what bike I'm getting, it will be here later this week or next

Bobo feels the need the to keep brining up the breaking issue I had with my previous generation Endo. It's true, I cracked it a few times (never catastrophic I was never stranded), each time Knolly had me squared away. Noel has addressed the problem and the new frames are solid.

Bobo, if it makes you feel any better, I broke my 06 RFX 4 times in 18 months. I first broke the seat stay in Flag. I then broke the main triangle at the taco. Shortly after that, I broke the chainstay at the CNC'd dropout, and finally the rockers. The dropout break required a nice long hike back to my car. After the RFX, I broke an 07 Spot. I broke the top tube right at head tube., The break went nearly all of the way around, and had I been riding, it could have been bad. I may be wrong, but I think Lance broke his DW Spot a few times, once before and once after the gusset was added. Rex, a member in our group, is on his 3rd DW Spot. Fact of the matter, stuff breaks. Knolly, Turner, Ventana, Yeti, Giant, Specialized, etc. You of all people should know SOMO eats bikes. In fairness, turner always took care of me.

When I broke the Spot, I was lucky enough to talk to the man himself. He asked what I was riding, and I told him. He was less than thrilled, saying the Spot was not the right bike and should be on an RFX. One problem, there is no RFX. So he then said the Spot would be a stronger option than the old Spot, but he still would rather I be on an RFX. Dave knows the terrain here, and he knows what his bikes are capable of. I've said it before, and I will say it again, if something is going to break, it will break here.

I have had the opportunity to ride DW Spots, Firebird, and Mojo HD, and I like the Knolly 4x4 better. I think it climbs tech better, and it certainly descends better, and just works with the way I ride.

As for the 429, I had a greater expectations. Pivot, being a local company, should know better. Lots of people out there raving about them (as seen by how quickly it sold). There were a few glaring issues. The first, was the rear tire clearance. I could only fit a 2.0 or a small 2.1 on the back. The cable routing sucked, I couldn't get the DW dialed. A friend of mine who is a huge mini link fan, was blown away by how rough the bike rode. It felt like it had 2" of travel. His Jet 9 with 85mm of travel is significantly more plush. I expected more out of Pivot on that one, and it looks like the new carbon 429 may address the issues.

It's all good....Merry Christmas. I hope you were able to get out today, SOMO was super quiet this morning.

* STUFF**

Awesome post! Tons of info there. Thanks for sharing all of it.

Agree that stuff breaks, how that is handled is the important thing. I have been consistent with that opinion.

I am stuck in Tucson visiting family but wil ride tomorrow. Should be empty too.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Hope

Why do ya gotta go and muddy the water with all that logical thinking and facts. Bike purchases are all based on impulse and emotion. You should know that.

While what you say may be true (and I do lust after the Burner...and would love to have a '12-'13 Spot with the slacker lower geometry and 142mm rear wheel spacing), I think the Chili is more versatile. I could take it from a 30 lb 5 Spot competitor with lighter wheels and air suspension to near-DT levels of gnar-competence with heavier wheels/tires and a 180 fork and it'd still be five lbs lighter than my DT.

As much as I like my 5 Spot and as cool as the new Spot and Burner are, Dave still doesn't make a bike that will do that.
    Can't argue the fact that there is no 180 mm fork bike in the Turner line up.

If you need that capability gotta go elsewhere. Sadly.

Bobo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Or 1595 with the Turner for Turner deal. That's how I read it

What is the link for the Turner to Turner deal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

I have inquired about the 'double dip' before I seem to remember. I dont think (at that time at least) you were allowed to do the $600 trade in on a sale frame? Maybe this time it is different, just dont be too surprised if its a no go.

Buzz

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

Here you go

Turner Bikes - Warranty/Trade

Enjoy!

Bobo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3