mtbr member
    Mar 2004

panic attack! 5 spot longevity and paranoia!

Ok, so my 5 spot will be here in a few days and I am starting to have these weird feelings...at first I thought "yeah I'm going to ride hard and love abusing my bike" now I am thinking differently... My five spot will probably be my only custom bike purchase for the next 2 or 3 years...I spent alot of dough and now I am getting scared!...heres why: I am not sure how long my frame should last for hard trail useage, I am affraid of riding her hard! I am also getting worried that one day I will get rear ended at a red light and my poor 5 spot will be crushed on the back of my car!!! who will pay for the bike? my insurance? his insurance? can I get insurance on a bicycle? aaaaaagh! panic attack!!!!! what if someone steals my bike!!! is there some kind of lo-jack anti theft thing for my spot...anyone ever seen the movie pee wees big adventure? what if I get caught in the middle of a drive by shooting and my spot takes a bullet!!! ok ok...wooooshhhaaaa

Ouch, I am hot!

I Hear You

Quote Originally Posted by tony0643
    Ok, so my 5 spot will be here in a few days and I am starting to have these weird feelings...at first I thought "yeah I'm going to ride hard and love abusing my bike" now I am thinking differently... My five spot will probably be my only custom bike purchase for the next 2 or 3 years...I spent alot of dough and now I am getting scared!...heres why: I am not sure how long my frame should last for hard trail useage, I am affraid of riding her hard! I am also getting worried that one day I will get rear ended at a red light and my poor 5 spot will be crushed on the back of my car!!! who will pay for the bike? my insurance? his insurance? can I get insurance on a bicycle? aaaaaagh! panic attack!!!!! what if someone steals my bike!!! is there some kind of lo-jack anti theft thing for my spot...anyone ever seen the movie pee wees big adventure? what if I get caught in the middle of a drive by shooting and my spot takes a bullet!!! ok ok...wooooshhhaaaa
    My Spot is barely two months old but I never use it. I stare at it and keep it in a glass case on the wall. This way it will never get damaged unless a meteor hits. Can I get insurance for that?
    I AM JUST A JERK

Lay off the Levers
    That's why most people buy two...why else would sales are so brisk?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Ouch, I am hot!

Be Careful

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    I decided not to ride my bike either. Even the mud was bothering me. I decided that it's too risky to ride the bike because I might break it.

Also, to prevent dulling or fading of the powder coat, I locked my bike in a case with nitrogen in it. That should preserve it for a few hundred years or more.
    I hope it is not liquid nitorgen, that can be dangerous. http://webs.wichita.edu/facsme/nitro/safe.htm
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

reality check time...

O.K., so the last time you bought a car, were you afraid to drive it? Did you just park it and admire it? Remember that killer sound system you bought for your home? Once you had it all set up, did you just sit there and look at it? Of course not. The bikes we buy are meant to be used and if you're concerned about a nick or scratch, you're gonna have to figure a way to get over it. Or, mount your trusty new steed above the mantle and admire it from afar. My guess is the bike will be able to handle much more than you're able to dish out, at least in the beginning. That was my experience anyway.

I understand your concerns. I've had them myself with some of my other bikes. But you made a decision, and a very smart one at that, to purchase one of the best non-motorized, two-wheeled conveyances on this earth, so for God sakes man, go out and enjoy it. I guarantee that after a couple of rides, you will never look back. Just remember, we wear the scars on our bodies like a badge of courage. Ever think that your bike might be proud of them as well?

Good luck with the new Spot. I think you're gonna like it!

Motion activated
    Tony (hope he doesn't mind me restating this) is 260lb IIRC. So I'm guessing thats where the concern is comming from.

At that weight, I guessing you should be pretty ok hard trail riding, but the smoother you get, the longer the frame will last. I wouldn't drop more than a few feet to flat. But to be honest I don't know..... call and ask Turner, and maybe post in the clydesdale forum

anyway, If you ride lots, you'll drop weight, unless its all muscle.

Call your insurance agent about the bike. My home owners insurance covers my bikes against theft while they're in the car, but not on a bike rack IIRC. Thats one of the reasons I bought a little beater Toyota truck with a shell, just to carry the bikes and know they're covered when we're away camping.

Some small insurance companies will offer insurance on the bike for theft, but I don't think anyone will insure against a crash but once again I don't realy know for sure.

Nothing wrong with covering your bases (this bike has to last you years, right), but don't let it get in the way of enjoying the bike. Just make sure you're covered for theft and enjoy it.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Tony (hope he doesn't mind me restating this) is 260lb IIRC. So I'm guessing thats where the concern is comming from.

You mean he was serious? I thought he was just joking and venting in hot anticipation of a new hot scoot. I know I was going crazy by the time mine showed up.

Roy
    mtbr member

Great......

Now Ellsworth himself is posting in the Turner forum and in his delirium can't differentiate between his Id and the Spot any longer.
    Last edited by Roy; 05-06-2004 at 07:47 AM.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    There will be that "moment" when your bike will get its first stratch ding whatever............
    but you will get over it and then you will have some fun.
    Call it a baptism for the bike.....
    We have all been there at one time or another and know what it feels like....

Besides the mud hids the name.....from the thieves
    Happy trails

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

my bike should be here tommorrow

is there any reason why I shouldnt ride my first ride in the rain? it wont hurt the bike any will it? I am going to name my 5 spot jasmine, because when I was in highschool there was this hot girl who I wanted to get with. I waited and waited to "get" her and finnally when I did "get" her she was worth the long wait.

No, that's not phonetic
    Take your medication and do your first ride in any damn weather you want to. The bike does not care. You are going to love it, it will treat you well for a long time, and it will all be fine.

If you take your meds, that is...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    My brother is a bike mechanic who absolutely loves and worships his Fat Chance Yo Eddy (Fat Chance basically become Independent Fabrications).

However, that didn't stop him from picking up a small hammer on the day his frame arrived at the shop and deliberately giving the bike its first small scratch.

Anyway, I find that the more scratches I get on my bike the less I'm bothered. Just don't go sticking huge dents in your down tube or chain stays.

Jasmine is a nice name by the way. One of our old cats was called Jasmine. Cute little thing, black and white and fluffy. I call my 5 Spot Twinkletoes. Also the name of an old cat.

Cheers, Duncan

Lay off the Levers
    is there any reason why I shouldnt ride my first ride in the rain? it wont hurt the bike any will it? I am going to name my 5 spot jasmine, because when I was in highschool there was this hot girl who I wanted to get with. I waited and waited to "get" her and finnally when I did "get" her she was worth the long wait.
    Well after all this fuss, I sure hope you post some good trail shots the next nice day you ride.

I agree with Tscheezy, be sure to bring extra meds with you...or your bike will start talking to you like mine does....(what? no I wasn't talking about you sir....no I'll be right there...) I gotta go now...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

lol!

13 hours until Mr. Fed Ex knocks at my door with my baby jasmine. she will no doubt keep me whipped. I shall polish her every night. my wife will have me sleeping on the couch in no time...
    wait till you guys see the incredible jungle trail pictures from here in japan. huge insane spiders and Haboo snakes that can kill a man. huge man eating catapillers and frogs. I hear that there is a few jaguars in the jungles to. this place brings new meaning to single track. in the morning when I ride there is this creepy thick fog that hovers low over the ground just like in the movies. the jungles are haunted by dead japanese soldiers from WW2, but its the only place in the world like it so I am enjoying the rides....exept the freakin spiders, man they are huge... I went to the middle east and brought my hardtail and you should see the spiders!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Cheer up

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    My Spot is barely two months old but I never use it. I stare at it and keep it in a glass case on the wall. This way it will never get damaged unless a meteor hits. Can I get insurance for that?
    ... cheer up Tony, Spotty will last, and if not we ask some money back from the Turner-fundamentalist in this forum!

PS my GT STS lasted 7+ year on the trail and it is still works fine. I aspect Spotty to last 10 at least (besided the bushing, ,). I ride about 8 miles everyday on dirt (to go to work, that is about 2400 miles/year) and I go for longer rides once a week on average.
    Last edited by Davide; 05-06-2004 at 12:20 PM.

Ouch, I am hot!

... and if we just ... My 5-Spot is Named Micki After My Mom because ....

I am going to name my 5 spot jasmine, because when I was in highschool there was this hot girl who I wanted to get with.
    I have this Freudian thing for mommy. I sleep with her (the bike) naked and she has taken advantage of me while I was sleeping. So far though no real damage except for a few small dents in the tube areas that I don't think were caused by riding (at least trail riding). Oh sh!t, I forgot to take my meds again. Docor said not to talk about this stuff.
    I AM JUST A JERK