mtbr member
    Aug 2004

painted my 2005 AM1

well my bro who is a professional painter painted it, but I am stoked with the new color. He put 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear so it should be good to go. The tan is gone baby! Kevin from Marz was kind enough to send me a few sticker kits so I had a choice of new graphics and I went with the 2006 AM1 graphics. Before and after pics below. I will post more detailed pica later. Don't you think it looks better ??

IB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lookin good!

not so super...
    Much better.
    Nothing to see here.

banned
    Very nice. Do you know what type of paint was used? I was thinking about something like this, but was hesitant due to durability concerns.

mtbr member
    Looks much better. I always wondered what kind of special genius it took to come up with a tan fork. Same with the TALAS 36 Brown, too. People care about color, and if a fork is gonna look like crap on their frame, they're less likely to buy it - why not stick with the basics?

banned
    yeah, for pete's sake, there's no way that fork performed well in a different color.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    yeah, for pete's sake, there's no way that fork performed well in a different color.
    Right you are. And everyone knows that, but why would someone care about what color thier fork is at all then? Why would companies offer frames, cars, clothes, ANYTHING in different colors. If everything were only about function, then what would the world look like?

It'd be Gonztastic, that's for sure.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    Everyone knows Black is more plush than Tan.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    big mistake.....you should have had your buddy paint your frame to match the fork color instead. that would have been sweet!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Everyone knows Black is more plush than Tan.
    No, black has more platform than tan. Everyone knows that.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    No, no, no…. pink is plusher!! There’s a reason all of those rigid single speed boys are spending up on pink bike parts…

Nice paint job IdahoBiker, have you got some shots of the new paint out in the daylight?

Cheers, Dave.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i would have painted only one leg black, and left the other one tan..

all in good irish spirit

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blender
    i would have painted only one leg black, and left the other one tan..

all in good irish spirit
    nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

paint

Paint used:

Dupont Black ($35 per pint)
    Dupont Clear ($35 per pint)

It took about 1/2 pint for the job. The paint is automotive grade so it hardens up nicely. The great thing about the AM1 is that it is already primered. That tan "paint" that they use is just primer. I couldn't freakin believe it until my bro showed me EXACLTY the stuff they used and what it looked like after he primered a car hood. Dudes, I was riding around with a primered fork. I guess I should have just put it up on blocks in front of my house while I was at it and taken the wheels off. I was red-necking it and I didn't even know it. Anyway, I just peeled the stickers off and cleaned it up nice it it was ready for paint. I will get some day shots, cause the one I posted there kinda suck. I think DT should consider a primered tan spot as a custom color and then the frame would have matched. For me it was about a $40 project, and yes it climbs much better in black!!

late
    IB