Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Paging DGC. Questions about 123Bikes

Hey DGC....Can you help some of us out?

A few posters on this board got ti springs from 123. They are not the springs that the buyers were expecting. They're too long and heavy and are not like the ti spring that you sport on your bike. The only apparent difference between those ti springs and the plain cheap steel springs is that the ti is way more expensive and difficult to install. The correct spring will weigh less and will be much shorter.

I didn't buy the spring, but I was getting ready to place an order for a ti spring and also fork service. I don't want to do business with an outfit that doesn't take care of it's customers.

Can you help? Is there another side to this story? I hope so because from where I'm sitting it looks like 123 unloaded a bunch of springs on some of the posters on this board.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrGuru
    Can you help? Is there another side to this story? I hope so because from where I'm sitting it looks like 123 unloaded a bunch of springs on some of the posters on this board.
    Of course there's another side to the story.

This board is starting to read like the "little old ladies' board."

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Ehhhhhh? Speak up, Sonny!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Of course there's another side to the story.

This board is starting to read like the "little old ladies' board."

DGC
    mtbr member

I can try

Hey DGC....Can you help some of us out?

A few posters on this board got ti springs from 123. They are not the springs that the buyers were expecting. They're too long and heavy and are not like the ti spring that you sport on your bike. The only apparent difference between those ti springs and the plain cheap steel springs is that the ti is way more expensive and difficult to install. The correct spring will weigh less and will be much shorter.

I didn't buy the spring, but I was getting ready to place an order for a ti spring and also fork service. I don't want to do business with an outfit that doesn't take care of it's customers.

Back when i was at 123, I had started this entire project rolling, or the interest anyways then those at 123 took it from there, I had set up to recieve a test spring prior to any further shipment so I could measure and check the pre run test spring out. Including a spring tester etc. I was the one who knew how these springs had to be done. I never recieved anything before leaving, and apparently was never sent before my leaving. I did recieve from Renton the spec sheet on the springs which did show them being the same length as mine, but did show one more coil in there vs. mine. Had I still been there and recieved the tester spring being the same as the ones you all have recieved, I would have refused them. My guess is that 123 was getting enough calls from customers wondering where the springs were who had already been charged on their credit cards plus the delay was quite long as it was, so maybe they chose to just get the spring order coming and send them out instead of getting a tester first and knowing what to look for, creating a longer delay which would have had the springs done correctly. Again this is my guess. I dont really know what when on, I can say it would have never gone down as it did if i was still there handling it. I made it clear to Renton Coil Springs and 123 owner I needed to see the pre run spring and aprove it.
    I also know of another company which is now looking into having Ti springs made and selling them for consumers, this said company knows how they need to be made and finished, it is not just someone pushing sales, someone who really knows their ****. I dont know how soon this will happen, probably not for a few months be my guess.
    Thats about all I can offer about all this, I would say you may want to e-mail Rento Coil Springs directly and ask them whats up. Mike is the guy at Renton to get in touch with on this. I dont understand why the springs were done different, mine has never been a problem so I doubt the spring 2003 run of them was a problem. I recieved the blue print type spec sheet and yet they came out different from what I am hearing here then what was showed on paper. Here is a pic of my Ti along side steel ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    Back when i was at 123, I had started this entire project rolling, or the interest anyways then those at 123 took it from there, I had set up to recieve a test spring prior to any further shipment so I could measure and check the pre run test spring out. Including a spring tester etc. I was the one who knew how these springs had to be done. I never recieved anything before leaving, and apparently was never sent before my leaving. I did recieve from Renton the spec sheet on the springs which did show them being the same length as mine, but did show one more coil in there vs. mine. Had I still been there and recieved the tester spring being the same as the ones you all have recieved, I would have refused them. My guess is that 123 was getting enough calls from customers wondering where the springs were who had already been charged on their credit cards plus the delay was quite long as it was, so maybe they chose to just get the spring order coming and send them out instead of getting a tester first and knowing what to look for, creating a longer delay which would have had the springs done correctly. Again this is my guess. I dont really know what when on, I can say it would have never gone down as it did if i was still there handling it. I made it clear to Renton Coil Springs and 123 owner I needed to see the pre run spring and aprove it.
    I also know of another company which is now looking into having Ti springs made and selling them for consumers, this said company knows how they need to be made and finished, it is not just someone pushing sales, someone who really knows their ****. I dont know how soon this will happen, probably not for a few months be my guess.
    Thats about all I can offer about all this, I would say you may want to e-mail Rento Coil Springs directly and ask them whats up. Mike is the guy at Renton to get in touch with on this. I dont understand why the springs were done different, mine has never been a problem so I doubt the spring 2003 run of them was a problem. I recieved the blue print type spec sheet and yet they came out different from what I am hearing here then what was showed on paper. Here is a pic of my Ti along side steel ones.

I appreciate your input. I'll call Rento. I didn't realize that you weren't still with 123. When did that happen?

banned
    Ehhhhhh? Speak up, Sonny!
    I will, as soon as the old ladies clean out their over-filled Depends.

DGC
    mtbr member

6-7 weeks ago

I appreciate your input. I'll call Rento. I didn't realize that you weren't still with 123. When did that happen?
    I quit on Jan 20. Now back where I was before going to 123, a local sports store called Tahoe Sports LTD. Big store, in bikes we do Giant, Kona, Specialized, Turner.

mtbr member

is 123bikes totally reliable?

I got my bike through 123bikes. It seems mostly like good service but I felt a bit of pressure to make a quick order if I wanted to get the last of the 2003 models with the polished rear ends. I did this but once I opened the box I immediately realized they had sent me the all red 2004 model.

In the long-run it's not a problem at all, as I really do prefer the one colour look. But it's a little bit annoying to be clearly told via email and phone that you're being sent one thing and then being sent something else.

A little more overseas whining from Duncan

mtbr member

Spring

Hey Pete,
    If this deal doesn't interest you, why don't you look else where. I made the mistake of looking at the thread of you building your bike and it didn't interest me so I moved on. Hey Davide, you and Jaybo were having fun at Turner's expense not to long ago. Now your both riding them, cool. I love the fact of how you posted your build (don't like it don't look) I think a light weight Turner is cool. My new Rail arrived today courtsey of GO-Ride and am building as we speak as a BMX/Slamon/Urban Bike. I will report a ride report as soon as I figure out how to make my Evil E-13 Bashguard fit my new Saint single gear crankset fit. I am 38 years old and can't wait for an urban ride tomorrow! And Pete if 5 or 6 OZ. don't bother you no problem, otherwise tell me why the 5 Spot gained weight.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsey
    Hey Pete,
    If this deal doesn't interest you, why don't you look else where.
    What a bizarre response. Why do you assume that "this deal" doesn't interest me? For the record, I think the reactions are pretty amusing.

and Pete if 5 or 6 OZ. don't bother you no problem, otherwise tell me why the 5 Spot gained weight.
    Yeah, it doesn't bother me. The hand wringing is pretty funny though.

mtbr member

Weight

Yea, I am all busted up over it. Sweaty palms and all. Your responses amuse me too. I work my butt off during the week and enjoy buying cool parts for my bike. The Ti spring was a rip, yea it looks great with the red frame but not what was claimed (could of powder coated a stocker and been fine). Like I said why do you feel the need to reply to a thread that you have no interest in except to knock it?

banned
    Like I said why do you feel the need to reply to a thread that you have no interest in except to knock it?
    There's that bizarre response again.

I'll repeat my earlier question:

"Why do you assume that "this deal" doesn't interest me?"

mtbr member

Muddy Leg

Hey Pete could you please shoot another picture of your muddy leg at speed (cool). In the mean time Davide how much do you think you can get your 5 spot down too. I like light trail bikes.

banned
    Hey Pete could you please shoot another picture of your muddy leg at speed (cool).
    No, I already did the Technu thing and took a shower.

Stay tuned though.

DWW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Turner at Sports LTD, Not!

I quit on Jan 20. Now back where I was before going to 123, a local sports store called Tahoe Sports LTD. Big store, in bikes we do Giant, Kona, Specialized, Turner.

Just to put the record straight. Turner Suspension Bicycles are not sold through the Tahoe Sports LTD. They are not an authorized dealer. The only authorized dealer in the Tahoe basin area is 123bikes.com.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DWW
    Just to put the record straight. Turner Suspension Bicycles are not sold through the Tahoe Sports LTD. They are not an authorized dealer. The only authorized dealer in the Tahoe basin area is 123bikes.com.

Boy, it sure looks like somebody has a grudge against their former employee.

DWW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    Boy, it sure looks like somebody has a grudge against their former employee.
    No, not at all! Dave was a meticulous worker and I hated to see him go. As a matter of fact I was in San Diego when he made his decision. I think, for Dave, having 3 days off in a row was a deciding factor, which he was offered at Sports LTD, 4-10 hr days. I just want to make sure there's no confusion as to where Turner is sold in Tahoe because I work so hard to make a living in this business.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    No, not at all! Dave was a meticulous worker and I hated to see him go. As a matter of fact I was in San Diego when he made his decision. I think, for Dave, having 3 days off in a row was a deciding factor, which he was offered at Sports LTD, 4-10 hr days. I just want to make sure there's no confusion as to where Turner is sold in Tahoe because I work so hard to make a living in this business.
    Hold on, I'm busy taking my foot out of my mouth.

DGC
    mtbr member

Incorrect you are

We are a Turner dealer, always have been since I set it up 3 years ago at that store.
    We are just not a volume dealer. Yes Turners are sold through Sports LTD.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Can a guy make any dough in the bike industry?

We are a Turner dealer, always have been since I set it up 3 years ago at that store.
    I was talking to an internet bike retailer who recently had an employee leave. I asked the owner why he left; the said, "The guy wanted to make like $17 an hour." I'm thinking, "Wow! That isn't much dough in today's economy."

I'm not trying to be condescending. I sit at a computer all day, in a job, that I enjoy but get tired of some days. How do you make a decent living in that industry? Is the industry just populated by young people? I talked to a nice guy at 123bikes the other day. He sounded like a SO Cal beach bum with all the cool talk. Regardelss, he did give me some great information.

Your thoughts,

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    There is a great article in this months MBA, probably the best article they have had in years. Basically, unless you own a very successful shop, you likely are not going to make much money in the bike business. I do not envy the guys that own shops, both locally and on the internet.

mtbr member
    I've never seen a Turner at Sports LTD...and i've been going there for years...?

Do you work at the Y or Down town?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Turners at LTD

I can confirm that Sports LTD does sell Turners. I have a friend who purchased a turner from LTD, at least two of their shop wrenches ride turners, and the most turner-savvy mechanic in the business works at the Crescent V shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwater
    I can confirm that Sports LTD does sell Turners. I have a friend who purchased a turner from LTD, at least two of their shop wrenches ride turners, and the most turner-savvy mechanic in the business works at the Crescent V shop.
    Oh, alright. My folks live in Myers, so I mostly go to the Y shop. Good to know they deal turner...they should get one or two on the floor...

DWW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Dave,

I realize that Turner was sold through the Sports LTD shops in the past but at present 123bikes is the only authorized dealer in the Tahoe basin. It's not a question of volume it's a question of authorization. I posted what I posted earlier after speaking to Turner about this issue. The only reason for my post was to make sure that if a Turner client was in need of having some warranty issue resolved they would know who is their authorized dealer in Lake Tahoe.

D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast