Baked Alaskan

Paging Bob the Wheelbuilder, Re:Pugsley

Yo Bob,

Didn't want to hijack the thread about Rando funking up his knee, but you gotta share more details on the Pugs.

Any idea on the weight? How about more pics? How well do the Surly tires roll? I know they're monster truck sized, but I've never found the Gazzy to be a particularly good rolling tire.

From what I've read you can actually get some pretty good momentum with the big tires once they get a rollin'.

That thing is so awesome! I intend to have one built up before Turkey Day.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Yo Bob,

Didn't want to hijack the thread about Rando funking up his knee, but you gotta share more details on the Pugs.

Any idea on the weight? How about more pics? How well do the Surly tires roll? I know they're monster truck sized, but I've never found the Gazzy to be a particularly good rolling tire.

From what I've read you can actually get some pretty good momentum with the big tires once they get a rollin'.

That thing is so awesome! I intend to have one built up before Turkey Day.
    It weighs a tick under 35 pounds as I've got it set up. The tires roll very well at higher pressures (max is 30 psi, but 20 psi still feels good on pavement). They have very low profile knobs so they roll much better than a big Nokian.

This am before work I went to a local sand dune with very dry drifted sand and gradually lowered the pressure as I rode around. Below about 8 psi I was able to climb a dune edge I'd guess was an 8-10 percent slope. Even lower pressure was better, but the sidewalls of the tires were squirming so much I was a little worried about unseating the tire. Still, this was stuff I wouldn't have been able to climb from a dead stop on my old Suzuki DR 350! I'm stoked to say the least.

I have a topeak digital gauge that seems to stop working below 5 psi. I'm going to have to get an ATV gauge so I can accurately measure the lower pressures. I'm guessing for pure sand and snow I might go between 4 and 8 psi. The tires feel really squirmy on hardpack at those pressures though. On the Surly blog, they posted they were riding 10-12 psi for all around riding.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.