Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Code Burr

Paging Bikezilla or other pike owners

Dang man, I just read your post in the shock forum:

"..
    I'd rather have my lard-arsed '03 Z1 than my light nervous floppy Pike 454DA any day. Gawd I miss having a fork that isn't scared of rocks."

I'm actually on a 03 z1 fr qr20 and was thinking of getting a pike DA but now your giving me second thoughts. Are they flexy or what? I just want an air fork that is stiff and doesnt weigh a ton. I thought the pike or the mag laurin were good options.

gravity curmudgeon
    One large sized rider doesn't like the pike. Ah, whatever.

I think the pike is an excellent fork that is even better pushed. It ain't afraid of no rocks ... nope.

Lay off the Levers
    Pike is a great light fork. Fantastic for fast flowy riding.
    It does not Bomb into rock gardens like a coil zoke no way no how.

If rocks were an occasional distraction the Pike would be more than sufficient. If the trails are practically paved with chop, not so much so.

Maybe Push fixes that.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Maybe Push fixes that.
    That is correct. Push does fix that.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Bodhisattva

If rocks were an occasional distraction the Pike would be more than sufficient. If the trails are practically paved with chop, not so much so.
    I disagree somewhat. I had a coil Pike on my 6-Pack for over a year. On the other hand, the fore/aft flex on my z150 was quite noticeable even at my burly 160 pounds.

I can't comment on the newer 55/66 or the Pike DA which I haven't ridden enough.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

rr
    I don't do PC
    Zilla is drunk on Zokeaid

C'mon dude, Zoke doesn't own the patent on plush or stiff, no way no how

My Domain was plusher and stiffer than my Z1 or Z150

No, that's not phonetic
    I run a Pike dual air on my Spot. At 195 I personally don't find the Pike wanting in any real way. It will take just as well as the Spot imo. I think you would be underforked on a bigger bike running a Pike, but the dual air is nicely tunable, plenty progressive (and you can put oil on top of the air piston if you want as long as it does not have an automatically set negative chamber), and is stiff enough. The damping is not up to Zokes top offerings, but better than Zoke's mid-level dampers.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Team Blindspot

Maybe Push fixes that.
    Yeah, totally got to agree with BZ. I routinely and exclusively these types of trails. Notice how it just blows through it's travel.

No wait, I agree with Roeder. (yeah I did say that )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astigmatic Visionary

Lay off the Levers
    Never said Zoke owned plush. I was simply comparing my stock Pike with my Z1. Infact I wasn't talking plush I was talking about confidence in the Rocks. I never tried th domain, the discussion was what did Zoke customers want from Zoke. The answer is More of what they used to have in Spades.

mtbr member
    Gotta say that I'm 210, and my pike does well in the rough so far, haven't hit anything too narly yet but it shows all the same as any of my prior marzocchi and others.

Lay off the Levers
    It's all relative. Come ride with me sometime.

The Pike is a great fork. The '03 Z1 was a superb fork. Much heavier, dual coil full oil and 10mm shorter in travel. They aren't really in the same class of forks even if the Pike is longer travel, it's not a Freeride fork like the old Z1s were. That was the point. For general trail riding the Pike is kickass. For Aggro trail, light freeriding and charging axle deep rockgardens at speed, the Z1 was superb. The orig discussion was about Zokes, I was reminissing about how great they were. It was not about how other brands stack up.

The OP wanted to know if he should rethink getting a Pike. Short answer is it is it depends on what kind of riding he'll be doing. Zoke is clearly not the only answer or I wouldn't have bought the Pike in the first place. It blows the AM1 it replaced out of the water.

I think rroder is reliving that "vaporize" comment I made years ago.

It'd be nice not to have to write out a page of qualifiers once in a while.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 05-01-2008 at 07:56 PM.

rr
    I don't do PC
    It's OK Zilla, we all know your a Zoke whore

I hear ya on the qualifier thing tho, damn homers are difficult to deal with!

trail fairy
    Agree with Tscheezy and others PIKE is fricken awesome what ya talking about rocks, I spent four weeks in rock infested country last year and loved the PIKE Im no lightwieght and it handled it like a dream maybe setup is an issue, mines totally standard, no push [454 uturn air] Ive had an 06 66 rc2x and its not as plush as that but then no 140mm vs 170 open bath coil is gonna be, but Ive never questioned its stiffness, I love getting back on this fork!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Code Burr
    Zilla, thanks for being honest, its hard to give an unpopular opinion.

Push is not an option for me. Buying a $500 fork and then another $200 to customize it aint happening. Big bank hank I aint.

I'll probably just stay on the Z1 untill I can find a used one to try out. Trails in Texas are very rocky technical sections and sudden short climbs. Stiff fork is the only way to go and the 20mm z1 is great, but heavy.

rr
    I don't do PC
    bronze- maybe try the coil version, I don't think an air fork is a good match for chunky terrain and a big guy like Zilla, TA said it above, not fair to compare a 5lb air fork to a 6lb coil one, the old Zoke's were def known to have a stiff platform(and heavy) but the damping wasn't that great and no way as nice as the newer RS stuff. You don't need to Push the fork to make it ride nice. Just my stinky opinion

gravity curmudgeon
    It's all relative. Come ride with me sometime.
    Nice chunk you guys have there! Around here if we hit a small piece of gravel on our single singletrack, we call it a rock garden and walk.

No, that's not phonetic
    I really like that pic.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

"Zilla deep in axle gardens!

Love that pic. Looks like my kind of place. I'm quickly becoming a fan.
    Where are these great trails at?

I was fumbling about wether to run a Lyric or 36 for my RFX build. Now you guys have me thinking. A Z1 150mm with only 7mm short A/C from the others should work on a '07/08 RFX. So now I'm wondering about getting a used Z1 and having it gone over by one of the pro's.
    Give me some food for thought.
    Don't bother due to?

What are the good years and models of 150mm Z1's?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by fermenter
    Give me some food for thought. Don't bother due to?
    I used to own a z150 and loved that fork. Downsides are: It's pretty heavy relative to the new crop of 160mm forks, it has very minimal compression damping, and the quick release isn't that quick. The crop of new forks have better/more controlled damping IMHO.

mtbr member
    E-banter is pretty comical really.

Riding style/ terrain and rider weight are the prevailing factors here. Personally, I would opine that anyone over 180lbs and aspiring to ride moderately aggressive terrain/ technique should look for a +32mm stanchion'd fork.

To the OP: what bike is said fork mounted on?

Code Burr
    Some Texas love, not so rocky

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter

To the OP: what bike is said fork mounted on?
    5spot, no rockers, currently riding a 2004 Z1 Fr QR 130mm dual coil. Its plush, stiff, silky smooth rebound, and heavy as hell. I wanted to try an air fork, 32mm stanchions, pike fits the bill, but its gotta be stiff. I'm 6'3" and 230 w cape.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You guys call that rocks?

Sheesh! Now this is dry end Columbia River Gorge rock; my buddy, Jon, having some fun. My Pike does me pretty well in these conditons; however, I sent it to Push for some overpriced love .

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 02-27-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    Some Texas love, not so rocky
    Stock Pike will work well in that terrain. I guess we should have asked about terrain earlier.

Code Burr
    That is not the typical terrain. Thats just a real purty shot of Bar H. Nice limestone escarpment trail. Here's another side of the same trail. Our usual trail is cross timbers prairie, lots of sandstone outcroppings, i'll try to find a pic, but here's Devils Back bone, Bar H was written up in one of the magazines a couple years back and now we get lots of euro weirdo's showing up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast