old and busted
    Sep 2004

Out with the old ... in with the new

I got an '04 Burner almost 2 years ago. It's been a great ride and I loved every minute of it. But in the back of my mind, I've always lusted after the Spot. Fast forward to last week. I decided to pull the trigger and build the Spot I've always wanted. I swapped over most of the parts from my Burner along with a few new goodies for an "aggressive XC" build. Here in TN we've got flowing singletrack, rocks, roots, bumps and jumps, but no real drops or hardcore terrain. The bike was built last night and got some final tweaks today before its maiden voyage. The Burner to Spot transition couldn't have been smoother. I love the way the Spot rides. On with the show.

The Burner waiting for disassembly.

Current Burner build weight.

The shiny new Spot frame weighing in at just a tick over 6 lbs.

The finished product.

Final weight ... just a bit less than the Burner. The only difference in parts between the bikes is the cassette, crank set, and cables.

I had Chad at Red Barn swap out the DHX-A shock for an RP3. You can imagine my surprise when I pulled the frame out of the box with this little guy on it.

Here's the build specifics: Spot Setups (Data Base)

I'd like to thank Greg at Turner for answering my gazillion questions. RedRocker for giving me his take on moving from a Burner to a Spot. And last but not least, Chad at Red Barn for the frame and some lightning fast shock swapping and quick delivery.

So far I really, really like the way the RP23 rides. If anyone's interested, I can do a mini review once I have some more ride time on it.

Nothing here
    Hey great job on the bike. I bet you're thrilled with having a nice surprise like the RP23, hopefully it's all that and a bag of chips. Chad IS awesome at Red Barn. I'm planning to buy a new 5Spot from him as soon as my new business takes off.

Funny how the 5Spot's lighter huh? I finished building up Zion Rasta's bike for him and his 5SPot feels like it weighs less than my Burner. Bastard!

mtbr member
    very nice build enjoy.

And keep us informed about that RP23.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have been secret modded! Nice bike Tony . . .Good move. Can't wait to see how it does at the 12 hours of Tsali next weekend.

mouthbreather
    Sep 2005
    Both cranksets look like XTs. Does the one on the spot have an integrated bottom bracket? Also both bikes have good weights, what wheelset are you running? Your build looks great. Enjoy

Edit: Nevermind. My lazy brain finally stumbled over the link to your build. Doh.
    Last edited by vasdeferens; 05-14-2006 at 01:47 PM.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Nice looking bike! Light sucker too.
    Yeah, it's a wonder that Chad has an ear any more. He'll talk with you a ton about which parts are the right ones for you.
    Enjoy
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004
    what's the car in the picture and do you DE/track or x-cross?

Berardino

old and busted
    Sep 2004
    I ran the old style XT cranks on the Burner and the Spot has the new integrated bb crank set.

The wheel set specifics - King ISO hubs, DT Revolution spokes, DT alloy nips, DT 4.1d rims, DT tubeless kit. Hand built by Ralph's Wheel Shop in Chattanooga, TN. The wheels are light and really strong. I weigh about 210-215 fully geared up and I haven't had any issues. The wheels are true as the day they were built.

The car is my other hobby/toy ... it's a Honda s2000. This car hasn't seen any track time yet, but I hope to do some HPDE (high performance driving education) events in the future. Asahi and I go back a ways. We were modifying cars and doing track days, drag racing, and auto-x long before we got into biking.

HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shivers
    The car is my other hobby/toy ... it's a Honda s2000. This car hasn't seen any track time yet, but I hope to do some HPDE (high performance driving education) events in the future. Asahi and I go back a ways. We were modifying cars and doing track days, drag racing, and auto-x long before we got into biking.
    I have an old 911 turbo (1984) that I have done a few DEs with here at the tracks around Austin (Texas World Speedway and Motorsports Ranch), lots of fun. The S2000s are alot of fun on track from what I've heard.

Seems to be a few people that enjoy fast cars and bikes

Enjoy the Spot, looks like a very nice bike ...

Berardino