Gravity Rides Everything

OUCH! my fivespot has aquired a wicked ding.

as you can see from the condition of my cranks, i ride in rocky conditions frequently.

sooo i doubt this is warranteeable. seeing how i'm a bonehead who rides on rocks.
    should i be concerned about the frame giving way? i didn't notice any cracking. the ano is cracked, but the frame seems intact.

i made a little bumper out of a bit of old tire to protect this area. i had 2 other little dings there before, and had a bumper on the to-do list... but alas... too late to prevent this one.

mtbr member
    just keep watching it I reckon it's fine - I have a similar but slightly smaller ding in the same place form riding in the (rock) garden state....

mtbr member
    god that pains me just to look at it... so sorry man

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    the bright flash makes it hard to see whats goin on but anno doesnt really crack as its not a covering like paint is, its more like a pigment set into the alloy. before i comment further, id like to see more detail. wishin ya luck till then.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Silence and Thunder...
    It's dead. Toss it in the recycle bin and order up a new replacement...

...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Talk about rode hard and put away wet!!!
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Those cranks surprise me as much as the frame. I have never known cranks to get nailed like that.

~~~~~~~~
    you should get a mojo

PSI
    I want that one
    i have one so big it can be seen from space... its deep too and has been there for about 2 years - didn't develop into anything. you can see in in the pic on the down tube right above the bash guard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

big butt

The butted tube down by the BB isn't too thin so you guys should be fine. If those were on the front end I would be screaming trade in, on a Turner of course! But since it is by the BB just keep an eye on the area. The black ano is just a die so seeing it crazing like that is not a big deal, but a crack will look like a crack with dirt getting into it right away, so watch it! That ding on PSI s bike is insane! But since it has no sharp indents it is hard for the stress to congregate, but the dent is so large that if it were in the front end it could lead to crumpling of the tube with big front end loads. But since it is not near the head tube it is holding up! Good to see this stuff.

DT

so what yer sayin is they both need a new motolite?

good news dt. i had that pegged as a dead dog. psi's is nuts! just goes to show ya we all made the right choice in bikes. this thread is worth referencing in the future for folks askin about strength and longevity of a turner.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Silence and Thunder...
    ..should save this thread as a sticky and title it "DT's Big Butt"

...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member

crying

Man, I would cry myself to sleep if my frame looked like these referenced. Like CC said, goes to show you how much abuse these frames can take. Also, every riding style is different, cuz I ride hard in rocks also and my frame hardly has a scratch on it w/ 3000+ miles of saddle time.

Just roll it......
    [QUOTE=prooperator]Man, I would cry myself to sleep if my frame looked like these referenced. /QUOTE]

Looks like a properly ridden bike right there!

I guess my expectations are slightly different, but anyone that rides in rocks long enough is gonna get dings like that on a downtube - especially at speed, when rocks are prone to kick up and hit your shins, feet, frame, fork, etc. Shale fields seem to do that the most to me.

trail fairy
    I know its a bit late but a wee trick for future if ya worried about rocks or ride really nar trails like that allot, is to cut an old 2.3 tire or something ya have lying around in half and zip tie it to the downtube, mades a good bash plate and rock defender! And is so factory looking

Was going to be my DH trick for trailer shuttles this year but well I got side tracked
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Gravity Rides Everything
    it's a tool not a decoration.

i did a quick search for "dent" on this forum after posting this thread. seems to be a pretty common mishap.
    i didn't see anybody with a CRACK there though.. so i guess i can rest easy for now.

i'll keep an eye out.

what's the crash replacement price on a front triangle anyway?

i did ziptie a bit of old tire to the frame in that spot.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by frisky_zissou
    Those cranks surprise me as much as the frame. I have never known cranks to get nailed like that.
    this is my third season on those cranks. only season #2 on the fiver frame.

the trails i ride contain many many fist sized rocks. as well as some bigger ones. and some shale bits. and all kinds of nasty things.

i'm just kickin myself for not putting a bashguard of some sort on there sooner. ah well. live and learn.

if it helps at all, my old burner got a hidious dent in the same area back in the late 90's and its still alive. ride on.

i think front tri's are about 9 bills but its been a cpl years for me.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    it's a tool not a decoration.

i did ziptie a bit of old tire to the frame in that spot.
    Rough bugga, maybe ya need one of these

Im jiving ya dude, tough stuff in the rocks, **** happens, I guess nothing is indestructible
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs