Thread: Ouch

Anytime. Anywhere.

Ouch

I had to go down to the LBS after work today and picked up a Brooks B17 on kinda a whim. The mechanic installed it and then came some of the most painful 15 km I've endured in a while. Leather, how come my couch is so comfy and the saddle hurts, they are both leather.

Anyone know how long it takes to break in a B17?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Bike Snob
    The B17 stands for "break in 17 months"

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Try some rope underwear and anal suppositories.

Lets see some action shots!

No, that's not phonetic
    Over the first few hundred miles of riding (the break-in period) the leather molds itself to your body...

We have found that most people who try Brooks saddles and reject them have given up way too soon, long before the saddle has had a chance to conform to their body and become truly comfortable. So when you buy a Brooks saddle, give it a chance. Expect it to feel hard at first, give it time, and remember that over time it will become the most comfortable (and quite possibly the last) saddle you’ll ever own.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Baked Alaskan
    I was looking at one of these for a touring bike I'm assembling, now the fun bits are scared. Guess when everyone raves about the comfort they leave out the break-in part...
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    thats almost the truth. im not that tough no matter how comfy it is after 400 miles. it would take me 400 rides to get there.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    At over 500g, it better have a built-in EBM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Proper positioning of the Brooks is the key to making it comfortable. Start out with the saddle level and make small adjustments from there. With the nose pointed too far down, you'll always feel like you're sliding to the front, with the nose too far up...well, you'll know. Find the right spot where only you're sit bones are being supported and you'll be all set.

If the handlebars are lower than the saddle, it will be tough to get comfortable on a B17... especially during break-in.

It takes some time to find the right position with these saddles, that's why a lot of people give up on them. If you can't get it to fit on your Turner, try it on a bike with a more upright position until it breaks in.

Applying Proofide will speed up the break-in process....and help protect the leather.

It will probably take a few months for the saddle to start taking shape. Break-in period shouldn't be uncomfortable with the proper position.

I've had a B17 on a commuting/touring bike for the past 5 yrs. I like it a lot.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Hmm, it's on my commuter fixie and the bars are about 4-5" lower than the saddle. I'm going to give it another go tomorrow.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Took me maybe a month to break it in but I coated that seat with Poofhide and even left it like that in the sun for a few hours. It is on my roadbike and is extremely comfortable. It feels firm but it must conform to the sit bones because I never have any discomfort. The only bad thing is that you tend to slide around a bit if the nose is tilted down. Maybe that goes away after the seat is a bit worn.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A properly positioned Brooks on a fixie is great. Being able to sit comfortably enough with most of your weight on the saddle can give the legs a bit of a rest once in a while. If you can get the bars level with the saddle or 1-2" higher until it breaks in, it shouldn't be painful. Sitting more upright will help a lot.

Were you planning to use the Brooks on a mtb? I tried it on my 5-Spot over the winter because leather is nicer to sit on than plastic at -15 C. The seat is wide, my legs were bruised from hanging off the back on steep dhs. And ya... at over 500g, the higher C of G almost makes the bike handle differently