mtbr member

Others sites to post XL RFX for sale?

I just listed an XL RFX with CCDB shock in the classifieds here; are there other sites that you'd recommend I also post it to? (I know most of you already have one. ) I'll also be listing a freshly rebuilt DUC32 fork and wheel, and another wheelset with XTR hubs soon. It seems like I've done a lot more buying than selling, but I've got to clear some things out. Thanks for any tips. Trying to avoid eBay.

-David

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member

Why not eBay?

I have been buying and selling bikes and parts on eBay since 2001 and have never been burned with the exception of one time that I bought something offline - after the auction ended, the seller contacted me and asked me for my interest in buying his Kona King frame.
    Against my better judgement I bought it, the frame was cracked, but Kona stood behind it and sent me a brand new frame.

Anyway, I have 319 transactions and a 100% feedback rating - no unhappy customers.

I have also bought and sold many Turner's - complete bikes as well as just frames and all has been well for me.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Probably because between eBay and Paypal (the same company) you lose nearly 10% of your sale. I'd love for eBay to have some competition these days. Come on google.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... There is no free lunch!

A listing for a bike that will sell for $2500 costs me $15; eBay will take about $85 for a final value fee and, if I used PayPal, that would add another $85; ergo, about 7%, so your estimate of 10% is high.

In addition you can always ask people to send you a USPS Money Order - about $1.25. That's what I do. That would cut my cost of sales to 4%.

I don't know of many venues that can talk about a cost of sales at that dollar figure to reach as many potential buyers as eBay does and offer some sense of security and trust.

My thoughts anyway. If you don't like it don't use it.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

Stray Bullet
    eBay is the way to go. I listed my 575 in the MTBR classifieds for two months with nothing by scammers for bites. Put it on eBay and it was gone in 5 days. Like Steve said, have the buyer pay you with USPS money order and avoid playing the Paypal fees.

If you really want to sell it for top dollar be willing to go through the hassele of shipping it overseas. I got tons of inquires from people in Europe looking to take advantage of the weak dollar.

mtbr member
    I agree with the both of you guys. eBay has a huge hold on the used marketplace. I use eBay a lot, did about $800 last month and plan to do $2,000 in the next week or so. Their fee's hurt though. But yeah, like they have already said, your stuff will sell a lot faster on eBay.

Also, as an incentive to buyers, eBay just sent out some 10% off coupons to be used by ebayers who pay with Paypal. It's good for up to $1,000 spent. So someone could save $100 on any eBay item if they pay with Paypal. I need to get my stuff up this weekend while the sale is on.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips. I've got it posted here and on RideMonkey now, may try eBay later.

-David