Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Silence and Thunder...

New question here. OT...kinda...What's 'bad' about 29er-SS ??

I have a newfound curiosity about 29er singlespeeds, never having tried it myself. Haven't had the opportunity yet...
    I've spent some time reading through the 29er and Singlespeed forums, and have found mostly positive remarks there (natch...).
    I want to know about the other side of the coin. Applied toward less technical, XC-type trails, what are the negatives of these bikes, if there are any...????
    I don't want speculation, as I can do plenty of that by myself.
    I want to hear from peeps who have actually done it.

Is it true that you have to be super-fit in order to enjoy that workout?
    What about the older average Joe, like me?

Is it true that less is more???
    ...every day sends future to past...

trail fairy
    XJ

I'd say if ya got the itch, just scratch it if ya can reach it ok, you'll probably really enjoy the experience by the sounds!

Not riding a SS 29er, but I had some of my best times on my DJ SS and I rode it everywhere, actually single track was so much fun, mine is steel, which really helped, I couldn't have handled a harsh alloy ride, body wouldn't be up for it, though in time its amazing what ya get used to.

You also strenthen and fitten up allot, it helps, ya tech, ya re learn stuff ya got lazy over and weren't aware of, its just a blast, I'd sumise a 29er SS would have its good points too and be way fun, it complements ya FS riding skills in the long run from my experience which is why I got the DJ and wanted SS.

SS brings back the simpler days when we were young and dumb and rode for fun and hanging with the bros, nothing else

Go fo it

chur..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Silence and Thunder...
    TA dood! Well said....thanks!

* I just read CC's post "once stung..." ...how funny!

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    no, less is less, but that can be good. The SS will make you suffer, focus you on maintaining momentum and form, make you stronger and more aggressive on the cranks. After two weeks on the single speed, get back on your FS ride - you'll find yourself attacking climbs and muscling the FS much more and going faster. The SS experience is cool, fun and great training (especially when the weather is crap and I don't want to get my Turners greased with MagChlor), but for me it's more of a means to end - improving my fitness and technique for riding the Turners. This applies whether you're riding a 29er or a 26er SS.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

trail fairy
    TA dood! Well said....thanks!

* I just read CC's post "once stung..." ...how funny!

Chur..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Expert Crasher
    there are some good, relatively inexpensive steel hardtails out there like the Redline Monocog Flight - an absolute blast to ride.

TA had some good input - go scratch the itch.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I want to hear from peeps who have actually done it.

Is it true that you have to be super-fit in order to enjoy that workout?
    What about the older average Joe, like me?

I have a Waltworks 29er hardtail that spends most of its time as a singlespeed, though I do have a geared wheel I can swap in and mount a rear derailleur and shifter when I'm fat and lazy.

If you're riding with others, it is helpful to be fit ... that way you can run a gear that'll average out to about their speed. I thought I was already fit when I put together my first 26" singlespeed, but it really kicked my ass. After spending a summer riding it, I was way faster on my geared bikes ... and didn't spend as much time shifting either.

Simplicity is nice ... not having to worry about shifters, derailleurs, and suspension pivots. I like my singlespeed 29er, but I certainly won't give up my geared full suspension bikes either (and if I could have only one, I'd take the geared full suspension bike for sure).

Bike Snob
    I just placed an order to scratch my itch for the 29 SS lifestyle. I went with steel for the reasons that TA listed above.
    I have plenty of trails here that I think suit the SS perfectly, I am looking for something different in my riding because of my self imposed "no air" policy.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    I just placed an order to scratch my itch for the 29 SS lifestyle. I went with steel for the reasons that TA listed above.
    I have plenty of trails here that I think suit the SS perfectly, I am looking for something different in my riding because of my self imposed "no air" policy.
    Now ya just made me plain envious!

Dam Im itching all over, I just can't reach it, maybe I can in 6ths or so, find a 2nd hand mary One 29er or something as a training bike, it will be a EL Cheapo, none of FO's cheap build components

"Steel is real" homies! in HTs anyways

"Can't get it right" sweet..............

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Steel, 29er, SS...? Yeah, we can do that

Powered by ice cream.
    You just have to try it to know.

It is Fun with a capital F, but I pretty much have fun no matter what I ride. I like the SS because it concentrates the work out. I can only ride off road about twice a week, so I want the best beating I can get. I also tend to wuss to my smallest gear when climbing if I have the option. No options with the SS, just man up and do it.

Sometimes the best thing about it is when you ride it for a few weeks, then get back on gears and suspension. You feel like a super hero.

As far as technical trails: There is nothing you are riding now that you can't ride on a 29" SS bike. You will just ride it differently. This is a good thing. It will surprise you what you can get up with a little speed, momentum and grunt, however.

I started the SS bug three years ago, and honestly, my SS bike gets about 80% of the love just because it is so fun. I tend to pull out the suspension when riding with other riders similarly equipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Steel, 29er, SS...? Yeah, we can do that
    JN thats a stunningly beautiful rig no doubts, thats in the Fo budget range not mine

Cheers for sharing though I like to look

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    Steve Garro special? Dude....great choice!

trail fairy
    Steve Garro special? Dude....great choice!
    Pix

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Neg reppers r my biatches
    no, you do not have to be in shape to do it...i do it so you can too

Silence and Thunder...
    ...I wanna feel like a super hero!

See, this is what I'm talking about. I ask for negative feedback and get more like 95% positive. I am definitely intrigued.

'Wolfhound' eh? That rig looks like good sex....

...I wanna feel like a super hero!

See, this is what I'm talking about. I ask for negative feedback and get more like 95% positive. I am definitely intrigued.

'Wolfhound' eh? That rig looks like good sex....
    wolfhounds are fine...so long as you dont mind waiting till you can use your 401(k) to buy it

Single Malt

Makes you feel......

.....like you're 8 years old again!! Came in on the cheap, then dialed it in to my like'n. A blast to ride, with no worries of malfunction!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~~Cheers!!! PMF~~

Bike Snob
    This is the bike that put me over the edge. 10 Months from now I should be very happy.

pvb's bike.jpg

Dishwasher Safe
    That bike is badass, but I gotta say, I don't get the bars. It would be even more badass with some traditional flats, ALA, gulp, JNC's rig. JMHOOC...

mtbr member
    My first 29er just happened to be my first SS since riding bmx back in the day. I went with a Niner Sir9 and the Niner rigid fork. Ok bike, I don't really have anything bad to say about it and it does kinda bring back the kid thing. For me it's a little hard to swap back and forth between the geared fs bike and the rigid SS. After riding the rigid SS and then jumping on the geared fs bike it takes a while to get used to the suspension doing its thing and having to think about shifting gears. I really like the simplicity of a rigid SS whether its a 29er or 26er.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt
    That bike is badass, but I gotta say, I don't get the bars. It would be even more badass with some traditional flats, ALA, gulp, JNC's rig. JMHOOC...
    I concur. I will probably go with the Salso Moto Carbon bar.
    I rode those bars on a buddies bike, they were nowhere near wide enough for my moto style arm motion ......................and they look like a$$.

Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt
    ? have you tried them? they are not my thing but lots of people like em...most homers wouldnt have a clue as to an advantage of a bar that would allow altering positions as they are too phat to get of their azz off the saddle anyway when climbing their sofas on wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    ...most homers wouldnt have a clue as to an advantage of a bar that would allow altering positions as they are too phat to get of their azz anyway when climbing their sofas on wheels
    ...unfortunately for you, you have no excuses as to why you suck on a bike. Perhaps a modicum of obesity would give you the credibility you so earnestly strive for

...unfortunately for you, you have no excuses as to why you suck on a bike. Perhaps a modicum of obesity would give you the credibility you so earnestly strive for
    good point....i should gain about 75 lbs so my riding style would equate to my figure

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast