Bring Back Buck

Orange, the new whiteÖ

well, it was in 2002 anyway.

Hereís my old/new to me 2002 RFX. Originally this bike came from CA.

As I already have a 5-Spot for most trail duties, I kind of picture using this bike more for shorter rides and uplifts. I also tried to keep the build cost realistic, (although a few bits of bling crept in).

Hereís what I did:

- Frame: 2002 RFX, lrg (with Spot chain stay & 2006 RFX rocker)
    - Shock: Fox Van 7.875x2.25 / 650 spring
    - Fork: Marz 66SL ATA
    - Headset: CK Steelset
    - Stem: Thompson 70mm
    - Handlebar: FSA Gravity DH carbon
    - Shifters: 2005 X9
    - Front Der: XT
    - Rear Der: SRAM X9, med cage (2007)
    - Cables: Avid flack jacket
    - Crankset: FSA Afterburner, 22/36T chain rings
    - Bash guard: E13
    - Chain guide: Heim/MRP LRP roller
    - Chain: Wipperman ConneX 920
    - Brakes: Formula K24 (200/185)
    - Seat post: Thompson
    - Seat: SDG Bel Air RL Ti
    - Front wheel: Hadley 20mm, Mavic EX823, 2mm straight spokes
    - Rear: CK ISO 10mm, Mavic XM 819 (Temporarily borrowed from my 5-Spot)
    - Tyres: Hutchinson Barracuda UST 2.4

Changes yet to be made:
    - Syntace QR Ė now have this, just need to fit it
    - CK/Mavic EX823 rear wheel
    - 2.5 tyres
    - Possibly a 50mm stem for the Wanaka bike park in NZ (when I get there)

Ride impressions:
    The bike felt pretty balanced geometry wise. I was a little worried that itíd be to hi at the back, but after my ride in Wales a couple of weeks ago, Iím pretty happy with it. Once I get everything dialled in a bit more when I get back NZ for good in Christmas, it should be even better. I even managed to land a few good sized drops on this that I would never have taken my 5-Spot off. For the grin factor alone, this was money well spent.

Fork: Marzoochi 66SL ATA
    I didnít actually achieve full travel, and had put that down to the seals bedding in. But after reading a few other 66SL reviews, I think I need to let more air out. It definitely got better as the weekend ride went on. The ATA feature was great. It worked better with a little pressure applied to fork, and was easy enough to operate on the move. The ATA feature was also the deciding factor for me over the RS Totem Ė and Iím now very pleased that I went with Marzoochi.

Rear shock: 2007 Fox Van 7.875x2.25 / 650 spring
    Just right. No messing around, spring rate seemed OK, but Iíll have to see.

Brakes: Formula K24ís (200/185)
    Wow - Formula have done a great job. Compared with my Hope M4ís (203/180) they have stacks of bite, but much less modulation. The bite point adjuster worked well, and the pads came through the Welsh gloop well (Iíve worn out a complete set of rear pads in 1 day in Wales before).

Crankset: FSA Afterburner
    I was a bit worried that this would be too light for the job, but itís fine. Stiffer than my XT hollowtech 2, but a little heavier. If I break it, then Iíll change it.

Chain device: Heim 3 back plate / MRP long range patrol roller
    Works great. Quiet too! Thanks TS.

Rear mech: 2007 SRAM X9 (med cage)
    Just as snappy as my long cage 2005 Xo version.

Front mech: Shimano XT
    Does what itís supposed to

Front Wheel: Hadley 20mm hub, Mavic EX823 rim, 2mm straight pull spokes
    The Hadley hub seems like good value for money. Not as bling as CK, but much better build quality than Hope. Front rim seemed good too Ė a bit wider than my XM819ís on my 5-Spot, but not too heavy either.

Tyres: Hutchinson Barracuda UST 2.4
    Front Ė Great. Hooked up and held its line well
    Rear Ė OK. Slid out a bit, but otherwise good
    Overall Ė The tires didnít feel too heavy, rolled well and didnít clog up with mud
    These will be going onto my 5-Spot, and Iíll be putting on a Maxxis Hi Roller UST 2.5ís.

Picís:
    - View form the Skyline Trails, Glyncorrwg, Wales
    - Classic car park footage
    - Fence shot
    - Fork / Front brake
    - Rear brake

Once I get a few more rides under my belt in January, Iíll post an update.

BBB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neg reppers r my biatches
    great bike! only problem is the location of the rear pivot but otherwise, its great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hey...

... are you missing one of your rear disc adapter bolts? The one that is parallel to the axle? Appears so in the bottom picture.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I'll have to look at mine, but I think it bolts in from the inside and sits flush in a recessed hole.

rpt
    mtbr member
    what BBB missed out of the story was the hanging around we all had to do in the car park while he tweaked every single setting on the bike

couple of the guys did the trail - came back - he was still going at it!

i went for a sleep in the van

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ah, OK, on my O2 it bolts from the outside. Just thought I'd mention it to be sure.

not so super...
    SWEET! Orange and white is an awesome combo...but I am a bit biased
    Nothing to see here.

trail fairy
    Sweet ride BBB when ya getting back in country (NZ) if ya round AK PM us at some stage maybe the RFXs can hook up and shread some trails together.

Ya gonna love those 2 puppis in NZ, I will keep my eyes peeled for that orange beast on my travels, I get around NZ a bit have truck will travel.

Nice parts pic too, ya goona stand out over here never seen an orange Turner here, looks nicer in the non smurf size 2

Ss

just jerking ya chain
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Bring Back Buck
    OK, so I thought I'd update this thread.

I'm now back in NZ and the ridings been great, (especially since winter came late!).
    So far the changes I've made are:
    1. Switched back to the original shock (felt a bit light in the tail with he longer stroke shock and gave me 6 stitches in my knee (although I was having a bad day and had about 4 offs on the same ride).
    2. The 66sl was loosing air out of the left ata cartridge. That's now been replaced under warranty and the fork is about 100 times better - its plush as and now doesn't loose any air. I usually have it set at about 165 - 170. Nice to have the adjustment.
    3. The Hutchinson Baracudas have gone. They're a great front tyre, but too skittish on the back fro my liking. I've now got a super tacky Minion 2.5 UST on the front, and a 2.3 igniter on the back.
    4. The CK rear wheel's back on my spot, and I've got my old XT hub with a Mavic EX729 rim. I definitely prefer the tyre spread on the wider rim, and weight's not really an issue on this bike.

Other than that, the bike is how I had it set up in Wales. I'm beginning to like the Formula brakes more and more. They just don't seem to have the issues that my hopes have.

I've been using this bike through winter up at Makara Peak MTB park in Wellington and although it's a bit heavier than my 5 spot riding up hills, you definitely get payed back in spades on the way back down.

Future changes?
    When I get around to it I'll be getting a Hadley 10mm rear hub with a EX729 rim. Think I'll wait and see if DT brings out a RFX maxle rear end, and if that's compatable with the older frames until I order that though. I'll also put a 729 on the front at the same time.

The sun's out so I'm off for a ride.

BBB.

trail fairy
    BBB

We needs pix dude, some of Makara would be nice oh and the rides
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Bring Back Buck
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    BBB

We needs pix dude, some of Makara would be nice oh and the rides
    Fair enough TA. Have been focusing more on the riding than taking pics lately. Must sort some pics out . Although you Northerners do seem to spend a lot of time taking photos of your selves ! Na - just pulling. Did your Hopes sell on Trademe?