DHR Rider

Optimal Fork for Turner DHR

Hi Turner riders,

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2004 Turner DHR, and after reading all of the positive feedback and reviews here, I'm really convinced that I'm making the right decision. I'm looking to create a great DH bike that I can take back to Europe with me, and use for shuttle runs at ski resorts and perhaps even some DH racing.

What I am wondering about is what fork to choose with this frame. I am trying to decide between a 888r, Monster T or Boxxer. Although Dorados would be nice, they are out of my price range. I've also read that the DHR frame is designed for 7 to 8 inch travel forks, and that with some of the forks there can be handling-related problems due to high crown height. Is this only the case with the 888r? Anyone using Shivers on their DHR? I don't see to many people using this fork - anyone know why?

I've used RockShox in the past, and was disappointed by their quality, which prompted me to switch to Marzocchi for my current ride (which I haven't regretted one bit). But I'm willing to give them a new chance if need be. What are you guys using? Would a heavy fork like the monster T create an imbalance on the bikes weight distribution?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Cohiba

PS: here's a pic of what I currently ride. I love that 4 bar linkage design and ride-feel just like the burner!
    Attached Images Attached Images

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    you can't go wrong with either the Boxxer or 7" 888. I choose to run a Boxxer because it's my personal preference - it's light, works great, easy to service and I've always had great support from their CS.

No, that's not phonetic
    Hey Cohiba,

Page Scott@Go-Ride over on the Downhill - Freeride board. He just recently posted a very nice review of the DHR, V10, and Cuervo. Go-Ride deals largely in DH bikes and those guys really know their stuff. They have ridden a lot of configurations and will be able to tell you what effect different forks will have on the ride. Visit their website http://go-ride.com/ for more contact information to get a hold of them if you can't raise Scott.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Registered Dietitian

Bonking ... not feelin' well Nice, Steve3...

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    I had an LTS. Rides NOTHING like the Burner at all. Not to mention that the rear end extends (by design) under braking. You also have the taller feel and the bounciness. Then there's the coupe deluxe shock that blew out better than it performed. Then there are those bushings and the flexy rear end...
    ... way to make someone feel welcome.

Personally, I'd stick with Marzocchi, or maybe try one of Manitou's DH forks. I hear the new Slider SPV is really nice. Boxxers are OK too, RS just needs to update that design. Of course, PUSH's first fork product will be a Boxxer cartridge, according to Jimmy, so that problem could be pretty easily solved.

Good luck finding a nice DH bike- between the Turner, Ventana, and the others carried by Go-Ride, you can't really go wrong.

Tommy
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com