Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

"one minute with: Turner bicycles founder david turner"

Haven't tried posting a link yet, but just came across this article.

One Minute With: Turner Bicycles Founder David Turner | The Straight Dirt | MountainBike.com

I have enjoyed riding for as far back as I can remember. Never really got into the education of it, just pedaled what was under me. About a year ago I got introduced to the name Turner Bikes. I was in the market for a new full suspension bike and started researching. I am constantly impressed by everything that is said about these bikes.

Now if the 2012s would just get released I could start riding one.

Kiwi that Flew

Great article.

Great article.

It's official then - the RFX really is the current slack 5.Spot.
    Looks like I will have to get one of these then....

Thanks for the link VegasWind

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasWind View Post
    Haven't tried posting a link yet, but just came across this article.

One Minute With: Turner Bicycles Founder David Turner | The Straight Dirt | MountainBike.com

I have enjoyed riding for as far back as I can remember. Never really got into the education of it, just pedaled what was under me. About a year ago I got introduced to the name Turner Bikes. I was in the market for a new full suspension bike and started researching. I am constantly impressed by everything that is said about these bikes.

Now if the 2012s would just get released I could start riding one.
    wonder how many RFX futureists will finally believe it just ain't gonna happen
    breezy shade

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    wonder how many RFX futureists will finally believe it just ain't gonna happen
    Finally I believe...

mtbr member
    Guess all those rfx placeholders are permanent fixtures.

Burn
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

mtbr member
    Glad I have my highline!

mtbr member
    The RFX would sell at $2500. I would have bought one in 2011. It wasn't an option so I bought something else. I bet I'm not the only one.

At this point maybe it's wise to scrap the RFX, I don't know, but there's a massive hole in the Turner lineup now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    IIRC, I read somewhere in this forum that the Highline did not sell well, especially at the list price. If that is true, perhaps that is why the RFX was ultimately shelved. But then again, the longer travel bike market seems to be a little different than it was back in the Highline days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    IIRC, I read somewhere in this forum that the Highline did not sell well, especially at the list price. If that is true, perhaps that is why the RFX was ultimately shelved. But then again, the longer travel bike market seems to be a little different than it was back in the Highline days.
    Yes, the Highline really only moved in big numbers once it was discounted. People seem to forget that fact. But you are correct, things have changed quite a bit since then. Lots of people on 160mm plus bikes. Look at Knolly, they are moving Deliriums and even redesigning it for more travel and heavier riding and it's not cheap by any means.

I don't think the RFX was ever a big mover. Maybe the Turner name is associated more with the AM trail bike vs the hardcore freeride style bike people seem to want the RFX to be. It's DT's call though and I know he offered people to put down deposits to show they were interested and obviously not enough did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The big question is what's next? Seems like the next model is a short travel carbon 29er. But what's the other new model? Cyclocross bike? 650B? It will be completely unique from the existing models, so what else is there?

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Full suspension 650b unicycle
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    An RFX at $2500 would be lower than other competitors no? I mean look at a Delirium....Knolly had no trouble selling those and at a higher price point as well. How about the Chilcotin? Again....seem to be no trouble selling those either.

Not sure I get it, but DT lost a sale in me as well.

Buzz

mtbr member

Rfx

I'd like to see the DW RFX make it to market. I think it would be a great bike.

That being said. The 5 Spot is the bread and butter bike for Turner. Seems to be quite a few 2011 5 Spots being dumped on the market, and some online retailers are still selling 2010 5 Spots.

I could be wrong. But, it appears that 5 Spot is not selling as well as DT might have hoped for, judging by the fire sale on the 5 Spots.

I'm not a bike manufacturer, but I just can't see the RFX being a money maker in todays economy.

Between the economy and a high percentage of people that would have bought a DW RFX say two years ago are riding a DW 5 Spot or have moved onto what was once called an RFX placeholder.

Kind of bummed.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wfoacman View Post
    I'd like to see the DW RFX make it to market. I think it would be a great bike.

That being said. The 5 Spot is the bread and butter bike for Turner. Seems to be quite a few 2011 5 Spots being dumped on the market, and some online retailers are still selling 2010 5 Spots.

I could be wrong. But, it appears that 5 Spot is not selling as well as DT might have hoped for, judging by the fire sale on the 5 Spots.

I'm not a bike manufacturer, but I just can't see the RFX being a money maker in todays economy.

Between the economy and a high percentage of people that would have bought a DW RFX say two years ago are riding a DW 5 Spot or have moved onto what was once called an RFX placeholder.

Kind of bummed.....
    The Sultan is cannibalizing 5 Spot sales is all...

bump and grind
    650b - yay!
    Cx- yay!
    Carbon-!?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Ya, I could see that being true.

Bike Snob
    DT- count me in for the CX bike, maybe you could mix in a horizontal dropout for those of us that can't ride gears.

mtbr member

DT, please make us a 650b DW Frame with 2.3 big tire capability!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us informed, if at all possible.
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
    PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us informed, if at all possible.
    What he said
    Drink beer all day

mtbr member
    Sounds like DT shift his focus/priorities into CX and 650 because of the challenges he face with RFX,
    The result, a slack and low Spot
    Kind of he give up on the RFX already :-(
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Big surprise

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Of course they are....think about it.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I would like to see a short travel 29er in carbon!

The 650B bike sounds freaking awesome! I just wish Fox or Rock Shox would make a 650 fork.

mtbr member

......next one will be a 650b.....

So I hope Dave will whisper sweet nothings into the ears of Maxxis tires!

Sad about the RFX, though I fully expect not to be in the market to replace my RFX for about 7 years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My guess would be that next in line is the much-discussed short travel carbon 29er. Then, with the Spot kind of being the RFX, a redesigned carbon Flux with a skosh more travel might make sense. The Flux seems fine as-is, but even most trail riders these days are looking for more travel than 100 mm, whether that makes sense or not.

Big hit bikes sell in surprisingly low numbers, unless you live in one of the freeride epicenters of the universe, and even then, they sell mostly to younger riders who beat the crap out of them, and are typically most interested in heavily discounted leftover models from prior model years.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Geritol Power
    I also would be interested in a 650B 5-spot. I spent 3 hours on a Mojo SL-R yesterday and really liked it other than the 26" wheels. I ride 29er's but would like a 650B trailbike as a mix of both worlds Looking forward to riding a Ripley whenever those come out even though I may have a 2012 Sultan by then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast