Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

once stung, twice stoked!

squish and i took a pre work ride today so he got some action shots. someone asked for a rippin photo of dirt leavin the back tire and a sunset background. sorry i couldnt deliver on the sunset. this thing is incredible!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    LOL., you must be enamored judging by the daily updates we are getting.

We will know when the honeymoon is over when the constant posts stop. Keep bringin it (as long as there are photos.....)

banned

she's sweet,,,,But

she ain't no homegrown! I see the vintage schwing will be taking a back seat to the stinger crutch

im sure itll taper off soon but for now, im havin fun sharein the joy of this bike. if ya have any interest whatsoever in a super light fs xc rig, do yerself a favor and find one of these but understand the shock is no longer serviceable so dont get too deep into yer pockets. i need to find a spare myself.
    No, I'm NOT back!

yer right man. i was careful not to rob many parts off dj homie lite for this build. i took the bar ends, replaced em with vintage onza's, and may swap the tiny fires for the larsens before next weekend. i love that bike too! if i ever get back into xc racing, guess what 2 bikes will be on the roof rack? i love choices and back ups.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Dishwasher Safe
    Pretty cool. Glad you're enjoying the new stoke; looks like fun. I'm in the process of putting together a new rig and can't wait to get back on the trails.

thanx. whatcha got planned?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Mr.Secret
    Man CC that trail you're on looks so similar of some trails we've got at a place called Keppler /Bradley about a 1/2 hr north of Anchorage. Looks like it's greening up nicely as well. Ahh summer. Sweet bike and terrain!.... Are you sure though about the shock not being serviceable? If not I've got a replacement ..........
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    but understand the shock is no longer serviceable so dont get too deep into yer pockets. i need to find a spare myself.
    The good news is that the air seals are standard Float ones. As far as the damper itself goes, I thought it was a standard Float R damper that was just turned around inside the shock body. In other words not significantly different than a standard Float R.

Flyin Canine
    hey cactus, you need to tell the doggie she's supposed to " look where you want to go"...Hasn't she read the lopes book yet?

mtbr member
    Stupid UGI acting up, posts like this really make me want an full blown XC flyer to compliment my RFX lite. Don't get me wrong, RFX is the most fun I've had on a MTB yet and continues to impress, but coming from XC bikes I do miss some of the snap of acceleration, the constant fear of the OTB crashes, the list goes on. Question really is Flux or Sultan.....

Oh yea, sweet rig CC, I'm a sucker for vintage builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

Large member
    Nice work Mr Corn, that bike really is very nice

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    yer right man. i was careful not to rob many parts off dj homie lite for this build. i took the bar ends, replaced em with vintage onza's, and may swap the tiny fires for the larsens before next weekend. i love that bike too! if i ever get back into xc racing, guess what 2 bikes will be on the roof rack? i love choices and back ups.

My buddy just built up this beauty after taking my SS homegrown out for a spin during a night ride. Geo is perfect for just about every discipline, just lacking the 6' of crutchness

MW
    mtbr member
    No full-drift sunset silhouette with an ocean backdrop??!! Pffft.

Keep the retro XC stoke comin' for as long as you're feelin' it . . . lots of vicarious fun to be had through this project.

--MW
    Last edited by MW; 05-14-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    The good news is that the air seals are standard Float ones. As far as the damper itself goes, I thought it was a standard Float R damper that was just turned around inside the shock body. In other words not significantly different than a standard Float R.
    I believe that's correct.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I knew you would come around

I've been extolling the virtues of the short-travel xc bike since forever. But for those of you who chime in with how cool lightweight hardtails are in this regard I maintain there's no comparison with a lightweight rig such as CC is riding in these pics and a similarly lightweight hardtail. Any cush at all beats the crap out of the no-cush scenario of a hardtail. Even 2.8 inches, oh yeah!

OK, you all like to stand all the time when hammering your hardtails? CC, notice how you don't have to stand to take the sting out of the G-outs when going to the bottom of a hill then abruptly back uphill? Notice how your butt thanks you when you get back from your ride? Notice how you're not giving up anything to a hardtail ride?

How could any hardtail be faster than that Stinger you're having the privilege to hammer out in the woods? It just warms my heart to hear a Homer posting about the virtues of a lightweight xc ride rather than checking out endless pics of drops and big air (cool as they are but I feel like I'm looking at mountain biking on Mars or something). They both have a place in Homerville, but, CC, light is right in some scenarios yeah?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I've been extolling the virtues of the short-travel xc bike since forever. But for those of you who chime in with how cool lightweight hardtails are in this regard I maintain there's no comparison with a lightweight rig such as CC is riding in these pics and a similarly lightweight hardtail. Any cush at all beats the crap out of the no-cush scenario of a hardtail. Even 2.8 inches, oh yeah!

They both have a place in Homerville, but, CC, light is right in some scenarios yeah?
    Ahh yeah have you looked at the trails hes on sheesh my grandma rest her soul could ride those, smooth as babies bh, though my virtual XC Highline could rip on those as well Im sure

CC cheers for more "stokage", awesome!! though slightly while pulling XCs chain it does look like fun and they do look like nice trails as smooth as they are

You guys do have some buff trails out your way

Oh I do like that word BUFF...

Chur, always wanted to say that..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tidybeard, I'm begging you

Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    Nice work Mr Corn, that bike really is very nice
    Lose the avatar. Gagging now....
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

i hope you guys are right. dt thought differently so i figured he had the skinny on these old things. looks like its time to call fox, find out for sure and order a seal kit or 2 if i can. thanx for the tip! ill post what i find out in here.

shane: yeah, she does that from time to time i guess. i always know when i almost run her nose over. but man, layla is a ripper! see how she had closed on me as i hit the apex?
    No, I'm NOT back!

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I snipped the rest of your post because i am pretty much in agreement.

There is NO comparison between a lightweight FS bike and a HT. FS rules.

As of today, I have put around 500 miles on my Ventana HT. Nice bike, but . . . . I'm ready to hang it up and find a short travel FS frame.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

MW
    mtbr member
    Here's hoping the full-rigid 29er SS militia doesn't find this thread . . .

--MW

thanx xc. ive never been much of a stand and hammer kinda guy. whatever i once had died when i got the burner so yeah, i hear ya there. is this faster than a ht? i dunno but i suspect it is. i do know its more fun and forgiving when i hit the roots and ruts that seem to cover our trails in spring and it carves much better than the homegrown with a very simimlar spec, same gearing, on the same tires and slightly stiffer yet almost identical wheels. the racelites on the homie are 28/26 while the stinger wheels are 32/32, otherwise they share the same bits save for some wheelsmith spokes on the drive side of the rear.

this will be my go to speed rig but i dont see sellin the homie anytime soon. its been too good to me in its own way and certainly has its place in my lineup.
    No, I'm NOT back!

PSI
    I want that one

thats a nice bike you got there CC

nice to see its all thawed out in your part of the world and you're out riding.

my morning ride (32-36 celsius at 7AM, btw) ended after 45m with a broken GD -

ride season at last! now we just dodge the spring rains before the humidity of summer hits, the short days of fall followed by another winter in 5 months. it aint easy bein a midwest rider, ill tell ya that.

sorry to hear yer ride went to crap and yer bike broke. how far out were ya?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

HT vs short travel FS

Just continuing the HT vs short travel FS discussion, I've been riding quite a few of my older non Turner rides of late and its interesting to see how they compare.

On short punchy smooth climbs the old rigid steel bike just feels like its flying and its great fun to get out of the saddle and sprint over the crests - that and Suntour XC Pro thumbies aren't as precise at shifting as they could be so its easier to really attack the climbs once you've got a gear.

Similarly my old Ti Kona is great to sprint on out of the saddle even though the Z1 is a bit bouncy.

Where they are let down is keeping the rear end planted over bumps, rocks or roots at speed, as they tend to get bounced about quite a bit.

While both are great fun a short travel Turner just kills them though on anything other than tarmac mainly as you can stay on your line more easily and the traction is so much better.

Also interesting to note though that if I ride the HTs more often I'm more inclined to get out of the saddle when I race, whereas when I ride the Spot predominantly I stay seated more....
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast