mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Oldie but still a Goodie, an 02 RFX makeover

Went into this past winter intending to give my bike a mini overhaul to address some of the issues that cropped up during a hard year of riding. After a final thrashing...

I began the tear down. Noticed a bit of play in the HL chainstay pivot so I decided to upgrade that to a TNT rear triangle. While I was at it, I somehow lost a few gears...

Ditched the front derailleur and went to a single ring up front. During my fork rebuild I isolated the source of the oil leak, my air spring had cracked and was dropping oil into the bottom out chamber and consequently out the foot nut. No matter, new cartridge + a coil spring on that side fixed things up nicely. Switched out the 6" rockers for the 5" to gain some stand over and a little bit of slackness.

Oh, did I mention I got it powder coated?

Inaccurate geometry as shown, 14" BB, 65-66* HA.

Build:

Suspension: SL + coil spring, Shimmed DHX air
    Wheels: Hadley SS Ti bolt on rear, 20mm front, Mavic EN321 rims with a High Roller in back and Minion up front
    Drivetrain: Shimano SLX, e.13 33t guidering
    Controls: Thomson, Sunline, WTB

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wow! What a great looking bike! The rebuild should serve you well. What is your gear spread like now?

Clint

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtgypsy
    Wow! What a great looking bike! The rebuild should serve you well. What is your gear spread like now?

Clint
    33t up front with 25, 23, 21, 19, 17 in the back.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Looks great man! Glad to see she's goin' strong.
    So painter just masked off the headset, no problems there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Looks great man! Glad to see she's goin' strong.
    So painter just masked off the headset, no problems there?
    Yep, just masked it off and sprayed. Teflon bearing cage survived the curing cycle no problem, just greased it up and it was good as new.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    So what was the deal with the play in the rear triangle? Nothing that could be solved with oversized bushings or even some adhesive?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    So what was the deal with the play in the rear triangle? Nothing that could be solved with oversized bushings or even some adhesive?
    The bushings had worn a groove in the chainstay that was deep enough to allow some side to side play. I filed it out a little bit but the play never really disappeared and I didn't want to bother so I sourced a new rear triangle. Old one is still hanging around though in case I need it.

mtbr member
    Looks great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

off camber drop

Bike looks mint. I hit the same drop on my 02 all the time. The 02 is nothing short of amazing.
    Running mine 36V w/ 5.5 rockers. I'd be interested to know what fork/mm you have on there. My 36 is great but kind of rough on DH days. I rode a Domain 318 last season at Attitash and it blew me away w/ its terrain gobbling ability (->180mm 1.5" though).
    I had this in mind if I ever rebuild:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oldie but still a Goodie, an 02 RFX makeover-girl-air.jpg  

All about the ride

Speedbump
    That's a great looking bike. Nice job.
    Crunchy. Even in mud.