ride your bike

Older (2004) 5 Spot enthusiasts...opinions please.

Homers,
    I am starting to push my frame past it's intended use, so it may be time to unload. I've got a MED '04 (horst link) spot that I absolutely love, but it's time to move on to something a bit heavier-duty. Was waiting for the RFX, but seriously looking at the Knolly Endorphin now.

Question:
    What is an old spot frame worth? It needs a full pivot bushing rebuild, zerk fittings, and upper shock mount hardware. Would like to list it at a fair price and not find out a week later someone flipped it for $300 more! It would be nice to know the buyer would give it a good home (regular rides), but I realize there are no guarantees.

Thanks for any info/advice guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

Outcast
    Jubilee, I think that if your spot was in top notch shape, and had all the needed pivot/zerk/etc stuff done to it, you'd be fortunate to get $500 for it. It's a tough market right now. Good luck.

ride your bike
    Thanks Renny. That means...hmm....I'd ONLY need $2K more for the Endo!

mtbr member
    Trade it in for a DW Spot? I am not sure if it is $500 or $600 for the frame from Turner, but the DW spot would be very comparable in terms of travel as the Endorphin? It might not be quite as burly as the Endorphin, but I guess it all depends on what you intend on using it for.
    IMO the mythical 2010 RFX and Endorphin would not have been in the same class in terms of intended usage. 2010 RFX and Delerium T would have been closer.

Just my .02

Buzz

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    Thanks Renny. That means...hmm....I'd ONLY need $2K more for the Endo!

Get a banshee instead, and you'll only need to come up with $1000!
    FWIW, I just sold my '02 RFX with avy chubbie and a 66RC2X fork for $700, and I feel fortunate for getting that much.

mtbr member
    Ouch That works out to about $100 for the frame? Times are tough...
    No wonder I cant unload my Burner....

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    Ouch That works out to about $100 for the frame? Times are tough...
    No wonder I cant unload my Burner....
    Desperate times call for desperate measures!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Get a banshee instead, and you'll only need to come up with $1000!
    I'm going to refrain from suggesting any brands here
    The knolly is certainly very nice

Seems like you would be swapping one 5" travel, horst-link bike with a 1-1/8" headtube and no ISG tabs for another 5" travel, horst-link bike with a 1-1/8" headtube and no ISG tabs. But yeah, it would be stronger, and very nice!

Dare I suggest some test rides?
    After test-riding a lot of bikes last year, I was pretty surprised at the results... 2-3 bikes really stood out, and none of them were really "boutique" by MTBR standards. After the test rides I knew exactly what I wanted.

To your question- with the current market, might be better to just "hook somebody up" rather than get top-dollar (if the difference is only $100 either way)
    Last edited by FM; 03-30-2010 at 03:07 PM.

ride your bike
    I hear you FM and others... The "hook up" idea is a good one and will consider.

I did email Knolly about the tabs, sounds like there's no plans for them on the Endo. Thinking about the Delirium too; looking forward to seeing a fellow HLC-er's soon.

FM, I'm confident your bike can handle the jumps/drops in our area. Perhaps a test ride on some "xc" trails someday soon? XC/trail riding is my real question when looking for the new frame.

I'd love to think I'm a gnarly DH rider, but the truth is I really enjoy gnarly AM, lighter FR, and xc trails...hence the Endorphin idea. There are guys doing some pretty big moves on Endos.

Or...maybe I can ship my beloved 5spot back to Dave and he can weld some reinforcements on it?

mtbr member
    Knollys are nice, but totaly overbuild - even their XC/Trail bikes seems to be beefier than RFX. I was thinking about getting Endo for some time, finally I've decided to stay with Turners and got DW Spot. Absolutely no regrets.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by serhij
    Knollys are nice, but totaly overbuild - even their XC/Trail bikes seems to be beefier than RFX. I was thinking about getting Endo for some time, finally I've decided to stay with Turners and got DW Spot. Absolutely no regrets.
    'Overbuilt' is a relative term...though I do understand your point.

Where Knollys come from, their "xc" is similar to what a lot of us call "freeride".

We'll see how this pans out. I'm still a Turner fan at heart, and time may see something different happen.

mtbr member
    I hear ya. I too am a Turner fan (my gf and I own 4 between us), but with the death of the 2010 RFX, I am afraid my eyes (and dollars) will likely be going to a Delerium T in the future.

Buzz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I'm going to refrain from suggesting any brands here
    The knolly is certainly very nice

Seems like you would be swapping one 5" travel, horst-link bike with a 1-1/8" headtube and no ISG tabs for another 5" travel, horst-link bike with a 1-1/8" headtube and no ISG tabs. But yeah, it would be stronger, and very nice!

Dare I suggest some test rides?
    After test-riding a lot of bikes last year, I was pretty surprised at the results... 2-3 bikes really stood out, and none of them were really "boutique" by MTBR standards. After the test rides I knew exactly what I wanted.

To your question- with the current market, might be better to just "hook somebody up" rather than get top-dollar (if the difference is only $100 either way)
    Do tell....

mtbr member
    Few weeks ago I had an opportunity to test Delirium. Very nice bike, but it was nothig like RFX. To be honest - I had a deja vu of riding my old SC VPFree. Heavy, beefy, glued to the ground (gaining 1' bunny hop was total nightmare, while on my '06 RFX 2' bunny hop was a piece of cake). I'm not saying Knollys are bad. Ibis Mojo seemed to me too much XC-ish, Knollys were definitely on the heavy side of the MTB. IMO, Turner is in the sweet spot, right in the middle .

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Bill, ride that sucker into the ground! There's a certain pride in breaking a frame. I still think Horst bikes are some of the best feeling and best technical climbing there are. A rebuilt or new shock would make that thing feel amazing!
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

try driving your car less
    If you want a new bike try the DW spot. if you like it, you can get the trade in of 500 on that frame without replacing anything.
    The DW spot is leaning towards RFX, but you should try it first.

Or just keep it as a loaner/spare bike.

I have a large 5 spot like yours. i tried lots of bikes, but nothing has made me want to 'upgrade'.

If you want to unload it as is, I am looking for a bike to leave at my inlaws to use one month a year... i would just use it as is.

resale on a frame that needs maintenance is not good... and if you get a good price for it, you are sort of 'duping' the seller.
    Only boring people get bored.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    ...and if you get a good price for it, you are sort of 'duping' the seller.
    I wouldn't ever do that. Still chewing on this decision.

Last night I checked everything out...still in good shape, just needs some love. Might see if a friend wants to use it a few times. Get him hooked on mtb then give him a killer deal on a nice trail bike.

mtbr member
    I would keep it and put a little bit of $$ into it. The HL frames are sweet. Track down a used Van-R get it pushed, PUSH pivot kit, lace up a pair of 819 rims and go tubeless. It would feel like a whole new ride. Just my thoughts.

ride your bike
    Muled over the plethora of options, went over the budget.

Going to give the 'ol spot a new lease on life with the Turner rebuild service, probably some new brakes (been running mech discs), and maybe a new shock.

Thanks for the opinions and advice guys.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    FWIW I saw a 2005 Spot w/ Push rockers and Pushed RP3 go for $660.00 on ebay recently.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanfissure
    FWIW I saw a 2005 Spot w/ Push rockers and Pushed RP3 go for $660.00 on ebay recently.
    I found similar in my research.

It's just worth more than that to me right now. Can't deny I love this bike!

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    I found similar in my research.

It's just worth more than that to me right now. Can't deny I love this bike!
    me a a riding buddy, both on old hl spots, are looking at buying up any old spot frame we can get our hands on. if you are dumb enough to let her go pm me and ill give ya an offer

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    I'm with juice, ride her into the ground. Mine just broke.. boohoo.
    Drink beer all day

trail fairy
    Um since FM won't say it RUNE! lol...

I would have thought the newer DT since its a bit lighter than the older ver would be a better option over the Endorphin as you can build it up lighter and stronger [heavier] rather than the ED as FM said not much to gain there, the DT seems very versatile in its newest form!

This is gonna be a major issue for Turner owners not all want LT bikes.

Since have a DHR the gap for me is good to go to a 5" rig so Spot would be fine for what I want I would have waited for the RFX as well if it were coming but since its not, I will look at Spot or Spitfire, Spitty is probably not what ya want for the next step up, hence the Rune, I know FM has been stoked with his.

So my vote would be the RUNE though based on what Ive scoped out performance pure and value.

I'm in a similar delima Jubee trying to sell my Spot [not hard] but for what its worth still lower than what I would prefer but some are just taking the piss so I'm holding off, if I got $700 Us with CK HS and bits I'd let her go for that here! but not a penny less I'd rather hang it on the wall
    Last edited by trailadvent; 04-11-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs