mtbr member

Old vs. New DWL 5 Spot

I know not many people have had a chance to ride the new 5 Spots, but how do you guys think the new DWL Spot compares to the old one in terms of geometry and handling.

It sounds like it is snappier and climbs better, but is it basically the same general feel as the old Spots?

Can the new Spot take the place of last years RFX (considering the same build and fork)?

I am looking for an AM 5" travel bike. I don't cary about the differences in climbing. I think the current crop of 5" AM bikes all climb well. I want the bike to shine on the DH.

My short list:
    DWL Spot w/ 160mm fork
    semi-custom El Ciclon w/ Pike
    SC BLT2 w/ 160mm fork

Thanks,
    TG

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    I know not many people have had a chance to ride the new 5 Spots, but how do you guys think the new DWL Spot compares to the old one in terms of geometry and handling.

It sounds like it is snappier and climbs better, but is it basically the same general feel as the old Spots?

Can the new Spot take the place of last years RFX (considering the same build and fork)?

I am looking for an AM 5" travel bike. I don't cary about the differences in climbing. I think the current crop of 5" AM bikes all climb well. I want the bike to shine on the DH.

My short list:
    DWL Spot w/ 160mm fork
    semi-custom El Ciclon w/ Pike
    SC BLT2 w/ 160mm fork

Thanks,
    TG
    Czech out mudpie's post. He has owned one or two of every model of Turner and just got his DW 5er.

mtbr member
    Even though they're pretty new if you dig back a few pages on this forum you will find numerous posts comparing the 08 and 09 Spots.

The consesnsus is, the New Spot is a much beter descender than the 08 version. The DW link allows the rear wheel to track over really rough terrain since the wheel moves back a bit while it compresses. And as you've thought, it works so well that quite a few people here have taken the parts off of their RFX's and put them on DW Spots.

If you're looking for a great descending 5" travel bike the Spot is very tough to beat in terms of suspension performance. They are supple over charttery terrain and take big hits well. Braking performance is excellent.

If you've ridden Turners in the past the new bikes have a very familiar feel in the cockpit department, and feel very neutral and comfortable. It just gets better with the new suspension design.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I think Krispy pretty much nailed it. It's like a Turner, but better.

Knollician
    I may be in the minority here, but I had a chance to ride the DW 5 Spot and wasn't blown away. It did pedal slightly better, but the demo was lighter than my 07 Spot. My Spot is built more aggressively. The fit and finish is very good, and the DWs are stiffer. In the end, I felt like I was on a Turner.

The minimal performance gain was not all that drastic to me. I didn't leave with the "I gotta get one of these", but rather "I'm glad I got my Spot on the cheap". Bumps were still bumps, hills were still hills, and loose climbs were still loose. I am glad I test rode one as I will not be selling my current Spot to subsidize a new one. If I were to replace my bike, Turners will always be my first choice for fit, finish, and support.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member

Yes and no`

The fit and handling left me feeling right at home, just like being on my old HL 5 Spot, I felt like I didn't need all the headset spacers that I use on my old Spot. It is a just a hair more toward freeride than the old Spot but not as freeride as the old 6 pack, it has more standover than either and it felt like a better steep, technical climber. I didn't feel that it was as easy to pedal on the fast flats or easy climbs as the 5 Spot but far better on any climb than my old 6 pack. Filter my impression by knowin that I've been riding my old bike for 5 years and have perfected the set up for me.

mtbr member

Thanks guys!

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have been riding Turners since 2002. I have bounced back and forth between the RFX and 5 Spot. I currently have an '03 5 Spot with the 5.3" rockers. I am really looking for a bike right between the RFX and the Spot. My 2003 Spot feels just a bit XC. I did have it set up with PUSH rockers and 150mm fork and it felt great. Then I decided to get a bigger bike and return the Spot to its original form; 5" w/PIKE.

I would really like a bike that can handle 90% of my riding and then have a beater shuttle bike.

Any more suggestions/opinions?

Thanks,
    TG

not so super...

I would really like a bike that can handle 90% of my riding and then have a beater shuttle bike.

Thanks,
    TG

5.5 (DW or TNT) Spot with Talas 36 (or similar)

mtbr member

DW Spot

I have an 03 Spot with 5.3 rockers myself and the DW 5.5 is a bit of a DH improvement over the 5.3 Spot without a serious disadvantage anywhere. It also has a considerable climbing advantage over the 6Pack and Foes FXR. With my riding style I actually think that I could sell my 5 Spot and my 2 6" bikes and ride the DW 5 Spot every day and not miss the others. I suppose I should have a garage sale and unclutter my house of all this eye candy.
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have been riding Turners since 2002. I have bounced back and forth between the RFX and 5 Spot. I currently have an '03 5 Spot with the 5.3" rockers. I am really looking for a bike right between the RFX and the Spot. My 2003 Spot feels just a bit XC. I did have it set up with PUSH rockers and 150mm fork and it felt great. Then I decided to get a bigger bike and return the Spot to its original form; 5" w/PIKE.

Thanks,
    TG

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Agree with Slowrider - the new Spot gets a bit closer to a 6-Pack downhill but climbs better than the old Spot. Rode mine for the first time in anger and deeply impressed with the suspension action. Still need to get used to moving to a large frame though vs my old medium!