Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Old RFX reborn, again...

I could not find a 160mm bike out there that fits me and rides as well as the RFX. So she got some new parts... Right at or slightly below 28 lbs with 2.4 Hans Dampf and Nobby Nics. There are carbon bikes out there with less travel and similar components that weight more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old RFX reborn, again...-img_0486.jpg  

It's carbon dontcha know.
    That looks
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Nice bike! Awesome build.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Nice build and respectable weight! The color is unique. One of a kind and the perfect bike for Idaho's ups and downs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wow!

roots, rocks, rhythm

Wink

Nice!!!
    Like to see a RFX getting some TLC!

Carbon what is that?

beer is good
    That really looks good, Gary! Here's mine in the trees above town (Boise)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old RFX reborn, again...-swpea-006-large-e-mail-view.jpg  

Old RFX reborn, again...-new-image-large-e-mail-view.jpg  

Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

mtbr member
    Long live the RFX! Very nice bikes fellas, especially that first one.

mtbr member
    looks purty! I just adopted airwreck's rfx as it was sitting neglected in the garage now that he's on the burner. It's getting resurrected also with my parts, getting a sangria red paint job now and maybe a pushed shock in the future. (My mother's day gift to myself) Funny I was considering that same blue, but my friend has a juliana that color and we'd look like twins.

ps what dropper post is on there, and do you like it? i think limited selections with 27.2

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    FAP FAP FAP FAP! Long live the RFX!! Sweet build!!

mtbr member
    Nice! Awesome build bro!
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Beautiful! I miss my RFX....now even more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    looks purty! I just adopted airwreck's rfx as it was sitting neglected in the garage now that he's on the burner. It's getting resurrected also with my parts, getting a sangria red paint job now and maybe a pushed shock in the future. (My mother's day gift to myself) Funny I was considering that same blue, but my friend has a juliana that color and we'd look like twins.

ps what dropper post is on there, and do you like it? i think limited selections with 27.2
    The seatpost is an AMP (no longer made). It still works well but a bit loose although you can't feel it while actually riding the bike. I think KS Lev makes a dropper in 27.2 and Thomson is reportedly working on one as well due to be shown later this year (no idea of production date).
    The XX1 is a good fit (quiet and shifts well). Matching Enve stickers (same Johnny Blue as the frame) are on the way. The bike doesn't have many miles since the Turner repaint and rebuild last year so it feels brand new and with the lighter wheelset, it feels almost like an XC bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nels View Post
    That really looks good, Gary! Here's mine in the trees above town (Boise)...
    How are the Eastside trails?

beer is good
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    How are the Eastside trails?
    All clear and good to go!
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

Just A Mountain Biker.

Old RFX reborn, again...

That bike just looks right, you just helped to answer a situation I am in with my Terremoto and a bad case of unnecessary "new bike-itis"...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice set up!

mtbr member
    A w e s o m e

mtbr member
    Very nice. Really impressed with the weight.

Aren't you the one that bought my Haven bar and stem when I was parting out my 5 Spot?
    If so, glad they found a new home on such a cool Turner.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Very nice. Really impressed with the weight.

Aren't you the one that bought my Haven bar and stem when I was parting out my 5 Spot?
    If so, glad they found a new home on such a cool Turner.
    Yeah dude... That's your stem and handlebar. They were a perfect fit for the RFX.

mtbr member
    Looks FN SWEET! I just updated my RFX this spring too but there's no way its under 30lb. I get the bikitis just aweful sometimes but no test ride, carbon or otherwise, has ever made me loose faith in the RFX. Its so good at everything!

Kiwi that Flew

Old RFX reborn, again...

Beautiful!
    I like the polished rockers matching perfectly with the cranks.

Mtb Guide
    I could not find a 160mm bike out there that fits me and rides as well as the RFX. So she got some new parts... Right at or slightly below 28 lbs with 2.4 Hans Dampf and Nobby Nics. There are carbon bikes out there with less travel and similar components that weight more.
    One of the best bikes ever made, well done dude, sweet ride, great to see someone put the effort into a worthy specc.

The RFX with 5Spot seat stays was and still is one of the best handling bikes Ive ever ridden, maybe a CCDB air on that pup and it would be done.

I wish it had had a 1.5" head tube, then it would still be better & current than most 6" bikes out there.

That bike was so versatile with suspension updates it keeps it current, sure dwl might pedal uphill better, but they're are many single pivots that still kill it in Enduro, few have the balance of an RFX.

Just A Mountain Biker.

Old RFX reborn, again...

Right at or slightly below 28 lbs with 2.4 Hans Dampf and Nobby Nics.
    Is that NN a 2.4 as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

Let's Ride!
    oh, a chance to post my RFX too, awesome bikes for sure!!

Old RFX reborn, again...-8734539735_848a08d739_c.jpg
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Whoa! That's a big boy bike. Nice orange colour too!

Rides like wrecking ball
    Sweet ride!

Am I out of touch when I open a thread about an "old" RFX and see an swanky new RFX?? (I still love my 2001)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Fortunately it takes a while before Turner's are ready for the museum. I have the same year and size frx frame as digthemlows, only in the original white. Although it is new to me, I would also call it old, considering most other MTB's will not be ridden seriously at this age anymore. As it is the last production year RFX, it is of course rather new.

Once I have cleaned it and the sun comes out, I will post a picture. I put Hope V4's on it, and have made my first ride two weeks ago. Did not have the opportunity yet to make a nice photo. I still need to

Let's Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXLspot View Post
    Fortunately it takes a while before Turner's are ready for the museum. I have the same year and size frx frame as digthemlows, only in the original white. Although it is new to me, I would also call it old, considering most other MTB's will not be ridden seriously at this age anymore. As it is the last production year RFX, it is of course rather new.

Once I have cleaned it and the sun comes out, I will post a picture. I put Hope V4's on it, and have made my first ride two weeks ago. Did not have the opportunity yet to make a nice photo. I still need to
    Looking forward to pics!!

roots, rocks, rhythm
    They are awesome bikes and IMHO one of the best designed bike frame out there, that is still relevant today.
    The frame design is a classic and any improvements made now like DW or 650 or whatever else are only slight improvements.
    Just my 0.02 cents......

mtbr member
    Ok, so one more little tweak that doesn't really improve performance, but I figured, WTF...

Let's Ride!
    I'm seriously considering getting a 140/180 Talas for mine. Think my RFX would climb killer at 140 and then I can go down quite well with 180 ....... thoughts??

mtbr member
    I've had the RFX with a 150 fork (Z1-RC2) and a 160 fork (36-RC2). The 160 fork was the sweet spot for climbing and descending. I'm not a big fan of travel adjust on forks. I had a few U-Turns and Talas forks but I found that I just set them at the longer travel setting and left them alone (and we have some long climbs out here)...

Let's Ride!
    I found myself using the Talas on my old Stumpjumper and it worked well............I really like 160 and forget it too, but I've been riding with DH guys more and more and want to see how 180 is for the geo........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    I found myself using the Talas on my old Stumpjumper and it worked well............I really like 160 and forget it too, but I've been riding with DH guys more and more and want to see how 180 is for the geo........
    Not really apples to apples comparison but I als have a Totem Coil (180mm fixed) on a Titus El Guapo and I climb with that as well. It slackens the front end quite a bit and when you're climbing steeper hills, it steers like a wheelbarrow going up hill. But it's easy enough to adjust to it.

mtbr member
    I had a few U-Turns and Talas forks but I found that I just set them at the longer travel setting and left them alone (and we have some long climbs out here)...
    I agree, same thing here. With my Magura on my Spot I've just set it and left it. We have some crazy, ultra steep climbing (and some really long climbs) and I used to change the travel and have found I don't need to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    I agree, same thing here. With my Magura on my Spot I've just set it and left it. We have some crazy, ultra steep climbing (and some really long climbs) and I used to change the travel and have found I don't need to.
    Did you find that lowering the fork on the climb, actually made it feel harder to climb the bike? It was a weird sensation for me, maybe related to the change of the saddle angle/front geometry when the fork was compressed.

mtbr member
    Did you find that lowering the fork on the climb, actually made it feel harder to climb the bike? It was a weird sensation for me, maybe related to the change of the saddle angle/front geometry when the fork was compressed.
    Yes, some of the times it seems like it put a weird stress (for me) on my knees. Somehow, the weighting of the bike just didn't seem right and the pedaling seemed harder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ok, so one more little tweak that doesn't really improve performance, but I figured, WTF...
    WTF indeed...! At a time when everybody's dishing out new-this, new-that, seeing what you did with your old RFX, keeping it current, is really refreshing and fantastic...! I have a couple of ride buddies that don't wanna let go of their '08's... I share with them what you've done... cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sidelined View Post
    WTF indeed...! At a time when everybody's dishing out new-this, new-that, seeing what you did with your old RFX, keeping it current, is really refreshing and fantastic...! I have a couple of ride buddies that don't wanna let go of their '08's... I share with them what you've done... cheers!
    The only thing left to do is to replace the AMP dropper seatpost with either a KS Lev 27.2 or a Thomson Dropper 27.2...
    One more shot from yesterday's ride...

mtbr member
    I have the KS Lev 27.2 on my RFX. I love it, haven't had any problems in almost 3 seasons of use.

I also agree when I crank the travel on my Lyrik down below 145 I feel like I am pushing myself into the hill and not up the hill. Kinda hard to explain.

Gary my RFX is not nearly as hot as yours but I sure do love it, and it rides great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old RFX reborn, again...-simon-rock-island.jpg  

Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw1 View Post
    I have the KS Lev 27.2 on my RFX. I love it, haven't had any problems in almost 3 seasons of use.

I also agree when I crank the travel on my Lyrik down below 145 I feel like I am pushing myself into the hill and not up the hill. Kinda hard to explain.

Gary my RFX is not nearly as hot as yours but I sure do love it, and it rides great!
    Quarry and Rock Island is where I get mentally ready for Moab... Where did you get your Lev? Local shop?

mtbr member
    My bad, my seatpost is not the Lev. I didn't realize they were even going to do the new Lev model in the 27.2. It is the previous 27.2 model with the cable attachment at the head. Honestly I have had no problems with the seatpost or the loop of cable that develops when the seat is dropped. I purchased it at Bob's.

The trails up on table rock are some of my favorites in the lower foothills.
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw1 View Post
    I have the KS Lev 27.2 on my RFX.
    I have the gravity dropper on my RFX and the KS Lev on another bike. While the KS Lev is definately a step up in class it's not a huge performance upgrade. There are better places to spend money. But then again, that baby blue RFX aint pulling any punches.

With regards to the 180/140 TALAS being a good choice, I can't give direct feedback but when that fork came out the first thing I did was call Turner to see if they had tried that A/C height on the RFX. I got Greg on the line who said it would most likely kill the trademark handling that makes the RFX so awesome. Not only do you have the extra height from extra travel, but you also would get more stack height from the silly adapter cup you would need for a taper steer tube on a 1 1/8 head tube. Bottom bracket could come up about an inch on an already high platform.

One of the best RFX upgrades I did recently was buy a 1 degree headset from a UK company called Works (UK based). The headset, along with an offset shock bushing, lowered the BB, slacked the headangle, and made a already great decending bike even more of a rocket sled.

Also, Monarch Plus, get one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That RFX looks great. I recently sent my 05 Six Pack back to Turner to have the cracked seat tube replaced & a refurb - they did a fantstic job so I decided to update it a little. I was already running a 2.5mm offset bush in the lower shock mount to slacken the angles by about 1 degree and drop the bb by about 3/8". I added a Works Components -1.0 degree headset for a little more slackness, +1/2" on the wheel base & another 1/4" off the bb height (now 14" on 2.4" maxxis Ardents - was 14 5/8"). Added a 27.2mm KS Lev dropper,Push industries pivot bushes, changed to 10 speed shifters, cassette, chain & clutched rear mech & XT trail pedals.
    It's no lightweight at 38.6lbs with dual plys. Just got back from a weeks riding in Southern Spain with Ciclo Montana & it's such fun on the decents & wasn't too bad on the climbs - not even the 5000 foot one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old RFX reborn, again...-iainkona.jpg  

Old RFX reborn, again...-2013-05-19-19.05.41.jpg  

Old RFX reborn, again...-2013-05-19-19.03.31.jpg  

Last edited by rc200; 05-29-2013 at 01:43 PM.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Nice build.
    My 6pack is still goin strong.

Old RFX reborn, again...-turner-redoo.jpg

Old RFX reborn, again...-turner-burner-sea-otter-2011.jpg
    Banned for showing Boobies.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    The only thing left to do is to replace the AMP dropper seatpost with either a KS Lev 27.2 or a Thomson Dropper 27.2...
    [/URL]
    I am looking for a dropper post but from the Thomson web site they don't have a 27.2 option?
    I like there product and would even wait if it is true.....
    k

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    I am looking for a dropper post but from the Thomson web site they don't have a 27.2 option?
    I like there product and would even wait if it is true.....
    k
    Check out the last line in this article... Thomson Elite Dropper Seatpost ? Exclusive First Ride Review - BikeRadar

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Thanks Flipnidaho!
    Now it is a wait and see now if is true.......

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Update........not good news right now.

Contacted Thomson and here there response from a David Parrett:
    "We are working on a road bike suspension post. We will know a lot more about release date later in the year. Hoping for spring 2014 right now."

More waiting......to bad but things might change? Never know!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast