mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OK, Impress Me! 5.5 Spot?

I had an '06 Spot but sold it since I kept hitting the pedals and didn't want to deal with adjusting my riding style at the time. But I always thought of the great handling, in part due to that low BB (that also caused me to hit the pedals) and low center of gravity. +s and -'s.

So, I keep thinking of the newer 5.5 Spot and how that extra 1/2 might just do the trick to help me with pedal clearance. Besides that, what are other benefits/differences of the 5.5 vs. the 5 Spot?

Impress me!
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I find that the 5spot actually has quite high a BB compared to other 5inch bikes I have ridden. I hate bikes with too low BBs as I find them useless for climbing. What's the point in all that travel if you cannot use it? I still get some pedal strikes, but not many. What bikes are you used to with higher BBs?

Surfin' da mountain
    A good friend told me the samething, but about a different bike. So I rode behind him. As it turns out, he always had his pedal stroke in the wrong position. For example, he'd have his inside pedal down in a corner or his cranks vertical (not horizontal) when riding a log over. The guy is very strong and has great skills, but is constantly replacing his destroyed Crank Bros pedals.
    If Tiger can change his swing, you can consentrate a little more on pedal position.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    since the change to the b/bkt height, virtually all complaints have stopped and it remains the best sellin frame in turner history. the numbers dont lie. so what color are ya gonna order?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailDog
    I find that the 5spot actually has quite high a BB compared to other 5inch bikes I have ridden. I hate bikes with too low BBs as I find them useless for climbing. What's the point in all that travel if you cannot use it? I still get some pedal strikes, but not many. What bikes are you used to with higher BBs?
    Careful.

These types of comments will rile the low-BB gestapo.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Nicole? Papa?
    Well I just bought a 5.5 Spot

That should be your mind made up now

Silence and Thunder...
    Forget about the Spot. Just go straight for the Highline like everyone else...
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu
    If Tiger can change his swing, you can consentrate a little more on pedal position.
    Bingo.

Nicole? Papa?
    ^^^Way to rain on my parade!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    since the change to the b/bkt height, virtually all complaints have stopped and it remains the best sellin frame in turner history. the numbers dont lie. so what color are ya gonna order?
    Okay, yes, the Spot is awesome. Darn you guys! You're not supposed to have good selling points. For me, customer service is a big one too. And I've heard DT is great about meeting you Turner-ite's needs.

So, uh, Black!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    yeah, dt, greg, jarett and the rest all do a helluva job for us homers and every last custy on earth. in all my years in this industry, on both sides of the counter, ive never seen anything like it but more are tryin after they see the benefits of treatin folks like gold.

the black smoke is insanely good lookin. nice call. id make the same one myself.
    No, I'm NOT back!

DGC
    mtbr member

BB choice

Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu
    A good friend told me the samething, but about a different bike. So I rode behind him. As it turns out, he always had his pedal stroke in the wrong position. For example, he'd have his inside pedal down in a corner or his cranks vertical (not horizontal) when riding a log over. The guy is very strong and has great skills, but is constantly replacing his destroyed Crank Bros pedals.
    I'll jump in this post here somewhere,
    I have had the BB on my 5.5 Spot up quite high by way of tall 2.4-2.5 tires and sag on the short side purposely. Actually just recently changed back to smaller tires and excessive sag to lower the BB, (though I could have run smaller tires than I did in this picture to drop the BB even more). The biggest reason? Because the lower BB set up carves fast sweeper turns a little better. Both ways the bike rides damn good.
    Once you have learned to get your pedal position correct, BB height is not an issue. If I was still racing DH, I would set up a DHR with the shortest cranks I could get and set it up with a BB than currently spec'd which is 14.4" for a 8.5" travel bike.
    Anyways, I would not be worrying about BB height on such a great bike, worry more about how to ride more efficiently and smile your ass off while having fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    Once you have learned to get your pedal position correct, BB height is not an issue.
    I've never understood this. If all you're doing is leveling the pedals through rough stuff then sure, but what about rock gardens? I was _constantly_ smacking pedals when riding through rock gardens on my 2006 spot. I absolutely hated it. There's only so much pedal placement and ratcheting you can do through rock gardens, especially when climbing.

My Sultan has a higher BB w/ less travel than my 5-spot and consequently I'm not bothered by pedal strikes at all.

mtbr member
    The trails I ride are rocky as hell - and so you can not coast through them all with momentum - you need to pedal - I got many less pedal strikes when I got rid of my Stumpjumper for an 05 Spot. I basically eliminated them when I got an 06 RFX but for various reasons I ended up getting an 06 Spot. In an ideal world I would have got an 07 Spot because of the slightly higher BB but I swapped frames with a friend. Another way to raise the BB on an 04/05/06 Spot is Push rockers / Pike fork. since the OP sold his spot - go get a 07/08!!!

DGC
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    I've never understood this. If all you're doing is leveling the pedals through rough stuff then sure, but what about rock gardens? I was _constantly_ smacking pedals when riding through rock gardens on my 2006 spot. I absolutely hated it. There's only so much pedal placement and ratcheting you can do through rock gardens, especially when climbing.

My Sultan has a higher BB w/ less travel than my 5-spot and consequently I'm not bothered by pedal strikes at all.
    I dont have problems with rock gardens either, but everyones terrian is different as are their riding styles, unless we all rode together in a big group at each others favorite trails, we cant truely see what really is going on. What works for me, does not always work for others. Sometimes it is as easily figured out as the line you take and the speed you carry, a few MPH. slower and everything changes.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Had similar problems with pedal strikes. Even worse when I switched to the 5.5 rockers. That extra .4" came at the end of the stroke which is what made it worse. I alleviated most of my problems by going with 170 mm crank arms and adding another 5-10 psi in the RP23. Was pretty surprised how much those two small changes helped.

mtbr member
    No problems on my 08,used to on my 03.

MW
    mtbr member
    I don't want to presume about local terrain and all that, but it seems like pedal-strikes--and learning how to avoid them--are a part of riding. Unless you're looking at BB heights on the extremely low or extremely high end of the spectrum, buying / not buying a frame for +/- 0.5in pedal clearance seems . . . um . . . a little extreme. Things like ratcheting and controlling pedal placement through rocky sections are thing's you'll need to do no matter what frame you're on . . . right?

I remember the first time I rode our "company" trails. I was whacking a pedal every 15ft or so . . . smashed the heck out of a CB Candy before I was done. Those trails really forced me to learn some new skills, and pedal placement was on the top of the list. Now, it's second nature to ratchet or time pedal strokes as needed through the rocks.

Let me sum up . . .

Get the Spot. Ride it.

--MW

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MW
    I don't want to presume about local terrain and all that, but it seems like pedal-strikes--and learning how to avoid them--are a part of riding. Unless you're looking at BB heights on the extremely low or extremely high end of the spectrum, buying / not buying a frame for +/- 0.5in pedal clearance seems . . . um . . . a little extreme. Things like ratcheting and controlling pedal placement through rocky sections are thing's you'll need to do no matter what frame you're on . . . right?

I remember the first time I rode our "company" trails. I was whacking a pedal every 15ft or so . . . smashed the heck out of a CB Candy before I was done. Those trails really forced me to learn some new skills, and pedal placement was on the top of the list. Now, it's second nature to ratchet or time pedal strokes as needed through the rocks.

Let me sum up . . .

Get the Spot. Ride it.

--MW
    Heh. I've been riding east coast rock gardens for close to 10 years now; I'm about as good as I'm going to get. My XCE was great through these rock gardens (a few pedal strikes, but that's to be expected), my 5-spot sucked, and my Sultan is pretty good. A .5" difference would be HUGE through the stuff I ride. Perhaps I just suck, but if I can get a bike that makes me suck more or suck less, which one would I prefer?

MW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    Perhaps I just suck, but if I can get a bike that makes me suck more or suck less, which one would I prefer?
    No, I hear you. I grew up riding CA's coastal range and--save a stint in upstate NY--that's pretty much what I know. So like I said, I really didn't mean to be presumptuous in my comments.

At the same time, I can look at my own experiences and see lots of times where I thought, "D@mn, I bet that'd be easier if I had such-and-such a bike." And you know what? In many cases that's probably true (I can only ask so much of my Flux, after all). But I look at many of those moments now and sorta chuckle, because I've figured out how to ride them cleanly (not always easily) . . . and it's a good feeling.

I guess that's what I was speaking to, more than anything else . . . but it doesn't sound very relevant for you (10 years is a good while), and maybe not to the original poster, either.

Plus, I can't seem to stop lusting after a RED Spot to call my own. So again I say (more tongue-in-cheek this time): see the Spot, buy the Spot, ride the Spot.

--MW

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As the OP here, since I switched to a Ventana with 6 inches of travel, no strikes. The X5/6 is another awesome bike, but I always liked the feel of the Spot too. And since we're always looking for excuses to get new toys, the 5.5 is looking sweeter. Now with that extra .5 over the original 5" Spot, but .5 less than my X5/6, there might be some issues, but I'll probably be able to deal with them better. A compromise sorta.

Actually, just another excuse to come back to Turner and get a new toy!

DGC, your bike is similar to what mine will be like. I have a PIKE and love it. Perfect for the Spot, eh?

... I guess you won't be
    It's the poor artist, who blames his brush..........

Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies