Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Not to mention that it doesn't try to drive the front wheel down into the very things you're trying to pedal over. Of course, the _dw link won't do that either, as long as you're not pedaling.
    Okay, so you are the kind of person that blames the bike for their lack of skills, thanks for making that clear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Following this thread has made me realize I might have a problem with the 5 Spot I'm currently riding. I don't think the DW Link was properly installed on the frame?? The bike is pretty average on smooth trails, fireroads, etc. Climbing technical terrain I don't feel any pedal feedback or suspension "hang up" on square edge rocky terrain and I seem to be able to get the front end over obstacles while climbing without issue. What gives?? I know Turners are still made in the USA, but you don't think incompetent american frame builders screwed mine up??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works View Post
    Um, look at the geometry, the current spot IS the new RFX.
    Yes I got that for sure but: Using my 160mm fork and an external lower cup on the headset my new spot just may have a 67(66.7?) deg head angle compared to my old RFX 68 deg.
    I think in reality the Spot may be just as strong as the RFX but is the intended use the same? I did crack that frame in several places. I'm hoping I don't miss the .9" less travel.

I'm confident for most of my trail riding I will like this Spot better. Esp after reading several have made the move from the RFx to the new Spot. After all in the end I did order a 2013 Spot.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fermenter View Post
    Yes I got that for sure but: Using my 160mm fork and an external lower cup on the headset my new spot just may have a 67(66.7?) deg head angle compared to my old RFX 68 deg.
    I think in reality the Spot may be just as strong as the RFX but is the intended use the same? I did crack that frame in several places. I'm hoping I don't miss the .9" less travel.

I'm confident for most of my trail riding I will like this Spot better. Esp after reading several have made the move from the RFx to the new Spot. After all in the end I did order a 2013 Spot.

Cheers!
    I've been on my new spot for about 160 trail miles now after riding my RFX for the past 10 years, The spot is more fun and capable for what I ride out here than my RFX and trust me I was worried that the spot wouldn't perform as well.

Boy was I ever wrong. I love my RFX and it is a badass bike but the Spot outclasses it in damn near every category.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Following this thread has made me realize I might have a problem with the 5 Spot I'm currently riding. I don't think the DW Link was properly installed on the frame?? The bike is pretty average on smooth trails, fireroads, etc. Climbing technical terrain I don't feel any pedal feedback or suspension "hang up" on square edge rocky terrain and I seem to be able to get the front end over obstacles while climbing without issue. What gives?? I know Turners are still made in the USA, but you don't think incompetent american frame builders screwed mine up??
    Ours must be from the same batch because I have all of the same issues

mtbr member
    No. Nothing wrong with your bikes. I hope no one is getting the impression that I'm in the same camp as mrwhlr. Yes, we both ride Knolly, but he seems to dislike dw_link and I think it works pretty darn well when executed correctly for my riding preferences (Turner best, Ibis 2nd best, Pivot third. For climbing smoother trails and standing sprints I'd reverse that ranking).

My five spot did all those things cope and LncNuvue describe..... I just think the 4x4 on the chilicotin does some of them a bit better.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    ..but to say a well executed DW Link doesn't provide traction compared to Horst or 4x whatever in my opinion is comical.
    I sort of agree with that. Certain DW-Link executions keep rear traction under pedaling in the rough as well as a horst link (my old mkiii did), but the 5-Spot is not one of them. My take has been that it's part of the trade off for getting a frame that climbs so well (and the 5-Spot DOES climb better than the MKIII did).
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    KRob, I don't think anyone will confuse you with mrwhlr. And I'm pretty sure most people realize that some suspension designs work better than others for their preferences and the terrain they ride. Each design has their pluses and minuses. Different strokes for different folks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I just think the 4x4 on the chilicotin does some of them a bit better.
    It's nice to see you figuring some things out that I've known for years, like Dave has with his remarks about 3-ring crank sets and bottom bracket heights. Enjoy your new bike!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Sorry for the bit of hijacking this thread. Now for something that has much to do with the main conversation: I was happy and surprized at the ability for the RFX to climb in the chunk. Pop the front wheel over a ledge and mash the gas and the back wheel would not hang up. For such a slight reward axle path from the consant arc I was surprized it didn't hang up. I might miss that going to DW. So be it though.

mtbr member

Just couldn't wait any longer for the Chilcotin.

With the Team Orange being delayed and winter in full swing...... I just couldn't take it. I had to have a bike to ride.
    SAM_0290

SAM_0288

SAM_0289

First ride Saturday. I'll give you all the details and comparisons to the Chili. I think it will be good for all the riding I do including SoMo, Moab, and Vegas. Heck I'm thinking it would even be a good bike for Whistler. Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I spent time on a fat tire bike at OuterBike last fall. I GET it! Really way more fun than I would have thought in a zen sorta flow up the sand wash and creeping over rock outcroppings sorta way. I know that JNCarpenter has had them for awhile and in slimy mud and roots in the deep woods they are grippy fun too. Nothing like a normal bike, but no less fun.

DT

Chris Bling
    Hopefully your ride on my Pugs helped you
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Hopefully your ride on my Pugs helped you
    My thoughts regarding fat bikes were pretty similar to those expressed by Mitchell Scott in this article posted on pink bike today. I just couldn't imagine they would be that much better in the snow and they looked like they would be as slow and sluggish as trying to pedal around a tractor or monster truck .

My little spin on your Pugsley at least opened my eyes to how fun feeling and spritely they are. They're also much lighter than I imagined. They look like they'd weight at least 50 lbs but I'd be surprised if this one weighs more than 30-35 lbs. So when my buddy offered his for me to ride this weekend I jumped at the chance. Excited to see how it goes. Like Dave said, I think it's going to be more fun then I imagined from the little spins have taken around the yard.
    Last edited by KRob; 01-31-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2