mtbr member

O4 Z1FR vs Pike air - Anyone ridden both on their spot??

Hey guys,

Rode my GF's air suspended S-works Enduro yesterday.. It seemed snappier than the spot. Might be time for some UGI.

Currently I'm running an 04 Z1 FR QR20 and a Romic on my spot. Sydney singletrack consists of anything from nice loamy smooth singletrack.. to rough as guts rocky trails with constant 1 foot drops an the ocassional 4foot drop to flat. Umm I weigh 80kg.. er I guess that's 175lbs add a bit more for gear.

1. I love this fork.. but it is a tad high and and heavy. Would the pike air u-turn be a downgrade in performance?

2. Would the DHX cope with the range of trails. I hear of sensitivity between either plush or drop capability. Or do I need an RP3 canister in there as well

Basically will i be comprimising DH performance for a bit of weight saving??

Cheers

Rich

No, that's not phonetic
    I have both an 04 Z1 130mm QR20 and a Pike Dual Air. The Zoke is killer, but very heavy. It has a little less travel, but the travel is very high quality. One of my favorite forks of all time. The Pike is very close in stroke quality though. It does have a somewhat different feel than the Zoke. Not really worse, just different. The Zoke feels like there is mass there. Like a motorcycle fork, or as if you were running a really heavy front wheel. Super plush and smooth. The Pike is also smooth, but a bit more light and plastic feeling (but still very stiff). I have been running the Pike for over a year now and the Zoke is sitting there. I recently raided it for parts to fix my Z1 FR1.

You would love the DHX Air. At your weight, you would have no issues with the stock air canister.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Thanks Tcheez...

So basically I can go with Pike + DHX air. And get a plush ride + still take the bigger hits!

Cool.

At what weight is the DHX difficult to tune??

Attached are some pics of the smoother Sydney riding....

... and one of the hazards!
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, that's not phonetic
    The DHX Air are troublesome for heavier folks on higher leverage ratio bikes. Bottoming and blowing through travel are the issue for 90+kg riders on 3:1 bikes like the 6-Pack it seems. You at 80kg on a 2.6:1 bike will be fine.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Certified Silly Bugger!
    Where abouts are those trails in Sydney? Up in the Blue Mountains?
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I had a 2004 Z1 on my Spot, QR, then an AM1 with QR20 lowers, then Pike coil, then dual air. The dual air Pike lasted a few months. It had its fair share of issues. Putting it upside down caused damper oil to drip out the floodgate knob. A hard ride reduced the travel of the Pike by 10-15mm. I am guessing air was getting passed from possitive to negative, but I could never figure it out. And the compression knob would never stay where I put it. I had to run it with PopLock on the bars to have it where I wanted it. Just a few weeks ago, I got frustrated with the Pike enough and put the ZAM1 back on the bike. It was a breath of fresh air. Stiffer, plusher, more controlled. Sure it is heaver, but weight rates pretty low on my scale these days.

Also, Pike at 140mm is the same AC height as Z1 at 130mm. PUSH rockers ought to get you improved geometry with a tall fork up front, so maybe you should wait with your UGI until then. And you Romic is a good shock, if it is reliable, I would hold on to it. The DHXair while a very nice air shock and uber plush due to the spring curve of the air medium, has its downsides, too.

I am on a Pushed Vanilla RC right now, and while my medium bumps come through more than on the DHXair, the shock pales the DHX in all other categories, especially high speed washboard stuff and really rocky descents. Whereas before each bump would eat up a lot of stroke of the shock which would noticably slow me down on the descents, I now seemingly coast over the same sections because the shock uses less stroke and there is less forward rear wheel travel. There is a definate improvement in uphill traction as well and the stroke is very controlled in both directions.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, go find yourself a Vanilla and send it to to Push or invest in the Cane Creek double barrel, with a Ti spring if the upcharge doesn't make you cringe . The front fork you have is probably the best thing you could put on the Spot, at least it is the the same category as the Z1 Light and the ZAM1. I am quite impressed with the 66SL, it doesn't exhibit nearly as much brake dive as other air forks I have ridden, it feels very coil like, if the Z1 SL feels the same, you chould shave some weight that way.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    whataboutben

trails are
    1. & 2. Oxford Falls
    3. St Helena's - Blue Mountains
    4. Red Hill
    5. Oxford Falls - Diamond Python. Not particularly dangereous.. but I respect all snakes

MK_

Cheers for the info.. seems like I look a bit more in to the pikes performance and the newer bombers.. still my Z1s do rock.

Why do you recommend the Double Barrel?? Is it servicable?

Thanks for your help

Rich

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich9000
    whataboutben

trails are
    1. & 2. Oxford Falls
    3. St Helena's - Blue Mountains
    4. Red Hill
    5. Oxford Falls - Diamond Python. Not particularly dangereous.. but I respect all snakes

MK_

Cheers for the info.. seems like I look a bit more in to the pikes performance and the newer bombers.. still my Z1s do rock.

Why do you recommend the Double Barrel?? Is it servicable?

Thanks for your help

Rich
    The double barrel might be end user servicable, actually, but I am not positive. The shock is the most user tunable with the broadest range of adjustments of any shocks on the market. It has separate high and low speed compression adjustments, and unique to the shock, low and high speed rebound. Eveyone who has ridden one can't stop praising them, the engineering aspect of it makes perfect sense, too. If I could afford any bike parts right now, I would have the double barrel!

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

... I guess you won't be
    the pike is more of a lateral move, you really aren't gaining or losing anything [except a few grams]. Unless you just gotta have it UGI, don't bother - just change the oil, maybe put some new bushings in to tighten er up, and ride the piss out of it for another 2 years....
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Yeah.. Anyway I love the Z1.

Probably see how the feedback on the push rockers go.
    There's better rear shocks out there than the romic. It's just a matter of which one.

Probably can't stretch the budget to a Double barrel..

Thnx

Rich