banned

New question here. O2/Burner/XCE shock choices

It seems Turner guys are pretty experimental with their setups.

What shocks and rockers have you used over the years with you Burner/XCE and what do you prefer and why?

What is your weight and riding style?

So far I've read about:
    Float RL
    Float RL AVA
    Float R PP (what I use with regular rockers)
    Manitou Swinger
    Cane Creek ( I heard there was a 1.75" stroke version?)
    RP3
    Push variants
    Romic

Never seen a Magura shock, nor have I seen a DT Swiss shock on a Burner XCE.

Bite Me.
    Here's the experimental list -

O2 + stock 3.1" rockers and Cane Creek AD 12 - firm firm firm - the AD12 was pretty sucky IMO, no platform at all, tough to get tuned in right, lots of bob, even in the 3.1" mode - the worst of everything, lots of bob but no compliance.

02 + X rockers for 3.6" and Romic twin tube - much more compliant rear end, felt like way more than an additional .5" of travel, the Romic was heavy, but plush. This was a nice ride set up for rougher trail riding but not especially good for XC due the Romic's weight.

02 + XR rockers for 4" and Romic - poor mix, the XRs made the bike feel "wallowy", large tires hit the seat tube. I kept this set up for about 2 days. This was the outer limit on pushing the 02 where it couldn't go any further

02 + X rockers and Manitou 3-way - great XC race set up, good platform on the 3-way, a bit tricky to get set up right, but once dialed in, the overall ride was firm on climbs and flats, but still pretty compliant on the downhills..not plush as the Romic but very capable. This was my race set up for 2 seasons. Definitely an XC style ride. People hated the 3-way, but I liked it.

Burner + X rockers and Manitou 3-way - very similar feel to the 02 set up above, just slightly heavier overall.

Burner + XR rockers and Manitou 3-way - the XRs smoothed out the 3-way, without losing any noticeable platform. You have to choose the initial set up to be oriented more towards XC/firm or plush. The added leverage of the XRs seems to make the shock behave better in a wider variety of terrain.

Burner + XR + Fox RP3 - this is my current set up. It's a very noticeable improvement over the Manitou - easier to set up, the 3 PP settings let you tune the shock while riding. After a lot of experimentation this is the best overall set up - a solid 4" of travel that feels like more, versatility in settings, smooth climbing, great on the descents. This seems as close to perfect as I can get. But there's always PUSH......
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

MSH
    mtbr member
    Can't wait to try my '00 XCE with.." XR + Fox RP3" I had my XCE built up with a '00 Zokes Z1 and the std Vanilla RC, so this set up should defitely change the feel.

I just swapped my Fox TALAS and RP3 on my Yeti ASR over to my XCE this weekend, but I didn't get a chance to ride it yet. Just ordered a set of XR rockers from Pauls this morning ($145 plus ship), so they should be here either tomorrow or Wednesday.

BTW - just to confirm....when I elect to swap the Vanilla back on the XCE is there any issues whatsoever running the XR rockers with the 1.75" stroke shock?

Thanks,
    MSH

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH
    just to confirm....when I elect to swap the Vanilla back on the XCE is there any issues whatsoever running the XR rockers with the 1.75" stroke shock?
    I asked this very question last week. Based on the responses in this thread:
    XR Rockers, Burner and Fox RC - 4.6"? the XR + Vanilla RC 1.75" combination should work fine on the XCE and the Burner. That's the next iteration of the Burner for me if I can score a Vanilla RC. That's 4.6" in the back and with the Reba out to 115mm, 4.6" up front - nicely balanced. I won't lose the RP3 that's for sure, but for kicks it would be fun to try the longer stroke RC for more downhill oriented applications - it's all good.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells