mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Is this normal or I am not getting full travel?

I just noticed when i remove all the psi from my shock and compress the bike the shock does not use all of its travel (see photo) . Should this be normal? My bike's shock before (different brand) uses all of the shocks stanchion/travel at 0 psi. Any thoughts?Is this normal or I am not getting full travel?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That is normal, I never get more than that. Seemed that older Fox shocks would knock the Oring off, but the newer stuff stops there. If you let the air out, and compressed the shock and that is where it stopped, that is where Fox wants it to stop. There is a urethane bottoming ring in there to keep things from going metal to metal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't tell from the pic exactly what frame this is, but on my newish 5.Spot, if I let out all of the air from the shock, the o-ring stops around there too.
    But it's not the shock that stops it there, it stops there because the rear triangle swings up and makes contact with the back of the seat tube.
    It that normal?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Shok, if there is a dent in the back of the seat tube from the rear hitting that is not normal. If there is no damage to seat tube, then shock is doing it's job of stopping action at the right point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Shok,could you post a pic of the bike at full compression?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The orange anodization on the rear of the seat tube looks like it's been removed where the rear triangle has made contact a few times before I figured out what was happening, but you can't feel a dent.
    The bike is in the shop at the moment so I don't have it here to take a pic when fully compressed, but when I let all of the air out of the shock, I could only get about the same amount of shock travel as your pic shows.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is this normal or I am not getting full travel?-image.jpgHere is mine at full compression. There is an ample space for the seattube not to hit the rear tri. It only hits each other when the shock is removed and frame compressed all the way down which i suppose is perfectly normal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi Gavin,
    You pic shows the spot right where my rear triangle will hit the seat tube. I'm getting the bike back from the shop tomorrow. I'll check out how the shock and frame are doing and post some pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My awesome shop guy, Rob, installed a urethane bottoming ring in the shock and now the frame travel stops at around the same place LGavin's last pic shows. (We let all of the air out of the shock and tested it.) So after I get the sag set, I should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The bottoming ring your shop installed was actually one of these 5 choices that Fox offers for customizing the air spring curve. We talked last week and I recommended the size 'up' from what we spec. Sounds like all is good.

Changing 2013 FLOAT CTD Air Spring Compression Ratios