BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Noooooo Fork troubles!

Well the riding season is in full swing in SW colorado. Warm and dry weather has opened many trails. Trips to moab and fruita have been great. My trusty 5spot(2004) has been working fine unil I noticed a decent amount of oil coming down the legs of my three year old vanilla rlc. Well I guess I need new seals I said to myself. Unfourtinily circumstances have left me broke. Bills, new glasses and trying to pay off my CC(5-spot, transmission and all). But seals are inexpensive so no problems(wrong!!). After waiting for a week for the shop to look at my fork they told me that the upper tube of the fork was slightly worn allowing oil to escape. Taking it to another shop the confirmed the first shops diagnosis. So I have a leaky for and can not afford a replacement. What should I do? How bad is it to ride on a leaky coil fork?? Can I add oil every week?? Any sugestions would be great thanks
    BSG

No, that's not phonetic
    I think you can replace the seals and it will help the leak a lot. I wore the gold coating off a Vanilla fork in front of one of the legs and it does not leak. Get some Enduro fork seals and install them yourself. The LBS probably just does not want to be responsible if the fix does not work. Fox seals are iffy. Go Enduro.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Lay off the Levers
    What TS said.
    To think a set of stanchions could wear out after 3 years of use seems like a reach to me.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.