Rides like wrecking ball

nOOb question - RFX and Spot

Now that both frames have the trussed rockers, air shocks and assymetrical stays what is the best way to distinguish a Spot from an RFX? Other than taking an educated guess on the fork someone hangs from one, I'm really stuggling to tell the difference in most cases. Next year will be even harder when peeps start hanging Lyrics and 36's on Spots. Any major "tell" I'm missing?

Back to pretending I know what I'm talking about....doh dee doh
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

banned
    Squared downtube at the headtube junction. If you can see the non-drive side, then the bb block is larger. Depending on size, the top tube to downtube junction looks a bit funky on the RFX.

Or basically, if it has a 36 on it, it's likely a 5 Spot, consider that's the new XC fork of the year.

mtbr member

Headtube

IMO, the easiest way to spot the differance is the RFX headtube has a lower ring to prevent flaring the heatube, the spot is just straight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Or basically, if it has a 36 on it, it's likely a 5 Spot, consider that's the new XC fork of the year.
    That and a set of Formula The Ones on the bike tells you it is a 5 Spot.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    note the headtube/downtube gusset on the spot. dead giveaway. oh, and all spots are red.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    I've often wondered what the actual tubeing differences are between a Spot and an RFX... apart from the RFX's beefier head tube.

I'm told teh spot and RFX ride very differently, but they look very similar on paper. OK, the RFX has a taller BB and slightly slacker angles, but then you see many posts on here with RFX's/Pack's with Spot rear ends... what gives?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger90
    I've often wondered what the actual tubeing differences are between a Spot and an RFX... apart from the RFX's beefier head tube.

I'm told teh spot and RFX ride very differently, but they look very similar on paper. OK, the RFX has a taller BB and slightly slacker angles, but then you see many posts on here with RFX's/Pack's with Spot rear ends... what gives?
    You see, they are both the exact same bike. It's only marketing mumbo jumbo and Homer double talk that fools you into thinking they are different.

Try and keep up. The Spot is the new RFX and the RFX is the new Highline.... but since the HL is such an incredible climber it's the new Flux.,,,, but really they are all the same bike. Got it? That Dave Turner is a genious.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    perfect! and all in 2 short paragraphs! make it a sticky.
    No, I'm NOT back!