Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

No more double taco please

I think the Spot is a cool looking bike, but not really in the XL size. Just in case I am in the market for a 5.5 inch travel bike at some time in the future, I thought I'd go ahead and mention a couple things I'd recommend I'd have a hard time buying an XL Spot right now with its current looks.

- No more double taco please
    - Shorter seat tube...no longer than 21 inches

There's my two cents. Just thought I'd throw that out since good ole DT patrols these pages and is very aware of customer preferences. Thanks for listening.

mtbr member
    Completely agree however, generally speaking, people that ride XL sizes would rather the added durability and stiffness that it offers.

TLL
    mtbr member
    I'm in agreement with Loco--can't stand the double taco. It is one of the reasons I went with an RFX rather than a Spot in XL. The Sultan also lacks the double taco on the XL. But I do understand the advantage the taco provides so I'm not complaining.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    But I do understand the advantage the taco provides so I'm not complaining.

I'm in agreement with Loco--can't stand the double taco. It is one of the reasons I went with an RFX rather than a Spot in XL. The Sultan also lacks the double taco on the XL.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken

I guess I should amend my comment to "I'm not complaining because I bought a frame that doesn't have the double taco" or "I'm not complaining too loudly since it doesn't affect me personally" or "buy a 29er because they make tacos obsolete".

Now if you want something to complain about, what about the noise that Hope Pro IIs make? THAT drives me crazy.

tg
    mtbr member

no double on my xl

My 06 xl 5 spot came with uno taco love it .
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Now if you want something to complain about, what about the noise that Hope Pro IIs make? THAT drives me crazy.

+1000 on that! I'm about ready to build up a new wheelset because of all that racket my pro2 makes.

banned
    Where's whafe when I need him to show off my quote? You guys are closer to the c*nts on 90210. Aaron Spelling should lurk on this forum.

"Its All Good"
    The double double taco taco are needed for support baby.....

Hi from Warsaw.......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frisky_zissou
    Completely agree however, generally speaking, people that ride XL sizes would rather the added durability and stiffness that it offers.
    The XL RFX doesn't have it and that's a burlier bike

banned
    As if the XL frames of any manufacturer aren't ugly already, removing a support brace is now demanded?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As if the XL frames of any manufacturer aren't ugly already, removing a support brace is now demanded?
    I hope I don't sound like a whiner, I just wanted to voice my opinion that's all. I also think the seat tube is too long so it's not just the double taco. Most other brand XLs have a 21 inch seat tube which is more appropriate I think. Enough of my opinion on that! Good riding!

Lay off the Levers
    Shorten the seat tube and long legged XL riders will be complaining about too much seat post showing. IDK either way. I can't see any of it from the saddle.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomoto
    I hope I don't sound like a whiner, I just wanted to voice my opinion that's all. I also think the seat tube is too long so it's not just the double taco. Most other brand XLs have a 21 inch seat tube which is more appropriate I think. Enough of my opinion on that! Good riding!
    If I was DT I would ditch the double taco, lower the SO on the XL by an inch and use a bigger upper taco. I would also add an extra size into the Spot lineup, ala 21" size. Then I would add a gusset to the Spot HT to handle a 160mm fork. Then, I would ditch the Highline from the lineup and beef up the RFX to it's former glory, ala 2001. But what the hell do I know!

I think the double taco looks lame, mostly just because I like disagreeing with Aqua.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Sasquatch needs to get rid of the double taco as well. My XXL Sultan has only one and it looks just right. BTW there is really no need for 24" ST and this comes from a guy with 34" between BB and seat.

banned
    Why not go for one of these? They're pretty sexy, if I say so myself.

oof.
    Attached Images Attached Images

trail fairy
    Why not drop the taco, weld a brace similar to the junction between the lower side of the downtube bridge to head tube on the medium spot, it could be smaller than the taco and not look so obtrusive, but still provide stiffness and support to the seat tube for you Sasquatches!

Ya can't compare RFX tubing to Spots, obviously the lighter frame is thinner and probably different again in different stress area's I wouldn't worry about it so much if I was that big atleast ya get size in such a quality machine

chur.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Why not go for one of these? They're pretty sexy, if I say so myself.

oof.
    That bike is ugly. I think most Ellsworth's are very good looking bikes, but not that one.

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
    What kind of guy orders 1 taco?

2 tacos!

Both at my local mexican establishment and my Turner. When the bike is covered in mud and dirt, who cares. Stronger is better!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by SportDerek
    What kind of guy orders 1 taco?

2 tacos!

Both at my local mexican establishment and my Turner. When the bike is covered in mud and dirt, who cares. Stronger is better!
    Agree Loco that Ellsworth is ugly, every year they get more and more like road bikes

SportDerek I like ya thinking, been a long time since I last went to taco bell, I know its shitholla compared to the real things but hey, when ya travelling all that stuff seems good the first time

Ps what sorta guy only buys one Turner!

Step it up step it up

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    As an owner of an XL Turner sir, I AM OFFENDED! There is nothing ugly about an XL bike.

Unless it's an Ells or Speccy or crybex.

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Ps what sorta guy only buys one Turner!
    The kind of guy that feels obligated to feed his family occasionally? PS do Ventanas count?

trail fairy

, ya got style TLL

The kind of guy that feels obligated to feed his family occasionally? PS do Ventanas count?
    Never argue with a mans family, got to come first!
    Venty's count, theyre Homer offsrping anyways

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    I'll deny it if you ever repeat it to anyone, but I agree with Dusty.

mtbr member
    As an owner of an XL Turner sir, I AM OFFENDED! There is nothing ugly about an XL bike.

"Speccys" hide the XL ugliness much better than the dualing taco 5-spot.

MY Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, Ellsworth can't keep the designer(s) long enough. The main designer could not get back into the country after a trip home (France, I think) so they went looking for others and somehow ended up letting the original guy work from overseas....not sure how that ended up.

Then I hear that TE hires three of SAPA's guys, who promptly walk out together a few days ago. I mean, can YOU imagine working for TE? WTH were they thinking? Pretty soon they will try to hire the Cervelo landscaper to make bike shaped like svelte hedges. I mean, the rear triangles are a bit wavy to begin with so why not...

Okay, I don't care about the double taco because I'm not a freakish giant like some of you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast