Thread: No DHRs 4 2014

Mtb Guide

No DHRs 4 2014

Another Turner legend crashed and burned!

Nitrous, Highline, RFX, 5Spot, DHR,

RIP.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    What makes you say that, they're still listed on the updated website?
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    What makes you say that, they're still listed on the updated website?
    Our Turner importer cant supply they're DH team with Turners as they're will be none to supply in 2014, so while still distributing Czars and Burners they will be riding another DH brand.

~~~~~~~~
    Hugely disproportional number of DH race bikes on the market compared to buyers, especially full retail buyers. More new companies making DH bikes, but more companies making DH capable trail bikes. Crazy that there is any return on the amount of money that gets thrown at DH racing.

Why would you say crashed and burned? They will continue to be supported better than any other dh bike out there and just like the dhr's before it will continue to be a solid performer.

mtbr member
    I was wondering how and why the DHR frame prices were so good. It is too bad, considering that there is a lot of solid engineering in this frame. DW says it is one of his favorites owing to the execution of the horizontal shock. My buddy just one and it is a great frame and he is shredding it!!! You can see his confidence and riding improve because of the new frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    hm, i hope this makes for an eventual release of a new DHR, not a discontinuation of the entire DH line - which i would be less than enthusiastic about to be honest. I see that times must be tough for Turner and the current crop of DHRs is pretty much dirt cheap and an obscene amount of bike for the money. I've been contemplating replacing my makulu with a DHR forever, but haven't as i really like the makulu. I'm not sure if this means that now is the time or not. I mean, the DHR is an awesome machine, but if it is about to be replaced.. or if Turner leaves the DH market alltogether, hmm, choices choices. Perhaps i should try to contact mr T direct as i was contemplating getting some new Turner frames in the shorter travel department

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I cannot see any reason to redesign it, if not to make manufacturing cheaper. Had there been plans for a new one i'd guess DT would have told us so we could start saving up..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    We will most certainly be selling DHR next year, just because I don't want to sponsor any teams,does not mean we will not have them. The price is low because that is what riders will pay, leaving nothing for sponsorship budget in that area. Does not matter to most that it is US Made, and the CNC work cost a fortune. Bottom line is riders like kline and dude are buying them, and that has nothing to do with National or WC race results. The bike rips, but without a WC race team a large volume of riders will not buy it, so they are being sold to riders/racers that don't need 2 page ads and UCI points to make their decision for them. If they keep selling we WILL keep making them, and revising when necessary. If riders do not keep buying them, we will not keep making them. IF 27.5 takes over high level dh, than that is the direction, but I don't think so.... of course I used to think that DH bikes would top out at 4" of travel, what do I know...

DT

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Superb news!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    We will most certainly be selling DHR next year, just because I don't want to sponsor any teams,does not mean we will not have them. The price is low because that is what riders will pay, leaving nothing for sponsorship budget in that area. Does not matter to most that it is US Made, and the CNC work cost a fortune. Bottom line is riders like kline and dude are buying them, and that has nothing to do with National or WC race results. The bike rips, but without a WC race team a large volume of riders will not buy it, so they are being sold to riders/racers that don't need 2 page ads and UCI points to make their decision for them. If they keep selling we WILL keep making them, and revising when necessary. If riders do not keep buying them, we will not keep making them. IF 27.5 takes over high level dh, than that is the direction, but I don't think so.... of course I used to think that DH bikes would top out at 4" of travel, what do I know...

DT
    Thanks for the explanation, DT. As someone looking to get back into gravity riding after a 4-year hiatus and entrapment in the midwest, I'm looking forward getting my leg over a new gravity bike again and I'm thankful that companies like Turner make bikes like the DHR.

I spent quite a years in the Freeride scene in Oregon years ago in college (thus the screen name circa 2006), riding a variety of gravity frames from Kona, Yeti and Transition. Somewhere between the era of Jr. Ts, 24 in wheels and hays mag brakes, and the era of 780mm bars, 62 degree HAs and plastic downhill frames. At this point it life, what I could afford and what I saw in magazines were both very important to me. The selling points of a DHR would have been lost on me in 2008, as I pedaled my chunky, primitive, no frills transition blindside.

Fast forward several years and tastes and circumstances have changed. I have a wife, a dog, a mortgage and a career. I think I understand life a bit better. I've narrowed my interests to focus resources (time and money) to the value-added things I love in life. I can justify a $3,000 frame more easily than a $400 video game console, and I rarely purchase MTB magazines. I understand how attributes like geometry, custom tubing, complex kinematics, and CNC'd parts add up to a light, stiff, intuitive ride that's unrivaled in efficiency and reliability. As an engineer, I also understand the high cost of american manufacturing, and the consequent level of quality. But perhaps most importantly, I understand that bikes pay unquantifiable dividends as you rack up miles and experiences... so we might as buy the one we really want.

While I'm probably far from the gravity target market, it's for these reasons that I look forward to having a DHR in my garage and ripping around the Wasatch mountain range for 2014. I'll just need to find other 30-somethings to ride it with...

Thanks for the great bikes Dave. Best of luck.

Great read:
    Review: Turner DHR | Dirt Rag

It's carbon dontcha know.
    After a few seasons on my DHR I get faster every time I ride it. I was sad to see the season end this year as I was loving my DH riding.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Mtb Guide
    This was the reason I posted this, originally it was posted on the distributors Facebook page. Now on an online magazine site.

It may come as news to you, but Turner have switched their focus almost entirely towards trail and all mountain bikes, that is all good and well for most of us but it left poor old Matt Scoles without a bike to ride for the national series.
    I had toyed with the idea of getting another DHR, seems we wont be getting them here, might look towards a Pivot or even a Zerode now though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    .... Of course i used to think that dh bikes would top out at 4" of travel, what do i know...

Dt
    haha!! Lol.

I remember back in 1998 I built up a lightweight (24lb) 4.5" Psycle Werks Trail bike. Took it with me to New Zealand and rode trails all over the place. They were blown away at such a bike back then.........