Shut up and RIDE!

Nitrous shudders during braking!!

I noticed that my nitrous shudders or vibrates when i am lightly using or "feathering" my rear brakes. It is really annoying. I am using el camino brakes with xtr rotors and hubs. I tried changing the wheelset, pads, rotors and the problem still persists. I even tried changing the calipers with my avid juicy7 and it is still there. Does anyone know why? other than that, the nitrous is an excellent bike.

Never enough time to ride
    Have you tried a different set of rotors?? Sometimes this can be the issue. Also make sure that all of your hardware is properly torqued.

Hope this helps a bit.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

PSI
    I want that one

It goes away

are your brakes new? if so, i noticed that brakes will stop shuddering with use. My juicys shuddered so bad when they were new that i told people i have ABS braking...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Is the nitrous scared of that really shiny lounge floor that you have??
    :-)

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    shimano had issues with some xtr centerlock rotors. somethin to do with a harmonic affect but i cant recall the details. i do remember that they will gladly offer a swap for xt's if you wish. see yer local shop for this. ill bet a beer this is yer issue as well. mine dont shudder as much as they pulsate.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    I built my burner with Juicy 5's (factory rotors) and about half way into my first ride or so they started shuttering (I guess, maybe it's different). They were very grippy and along with the grippyness and stickyness came this strange sound (something like the sound of water moving through a small pipe, I know, weird). I never hear the sound coming from other bikes, and when I hop on other's rides I don't feel the same sensation. If It was just the sound, that I could live with, but it's the grippyness that comes close to sending me over the bars. And I know this and ride accordingly, constantly reminding myself to be careful, don't break hard, get back further than neccessary, and hope for the best. Anyway, we thought a different set of rotors would take care of the problem, and put on set that Larry reccomended (Galfer Wave 160mm). They felt smooth for the first ride, and then it was back to the same grippyness of whatever you call it. It freaks me out and pisses me off. Is this the same prob as "you're" talking about? Can I fix it without more $$$?

Jewell
    Bicycles have no walls.
    -Paul Cornish

Never enough time to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell of D(enial)
    I built my burner with Juicy 5's (factory rotors) and about half way into my first ride or so they started shuttering (I guess, maybe it's different). They were very grippy and along with the grippyness and stickyness came this strange sound (something like the sound of water moving through a small pipe, I know, weird). I never hear the sound coming from other bikes, and when I hop on other's rides I don't feel the same sensation. If It was just the sound, that I could live with, but it's the grippyness that comes close to sending me over the bars. And I know this and ride accordingly, constantly reminding myself to be careful, don't break hard, get back further than neccessary, and hope for the best. Anyway, we thought a different set of rotors would take care of the problem, and put on set that Larry reccomended (Galfer Wave 160mm). They felt smooth for the first ride, and then it was back to the same grippyness of whatever you call it. It freaks me out and pisses me off. Is this the same prob as "you're" talking about? Can I fix it without more $$$?

Jewell
    I get kinda the same sound from my Juicy 7's, I always thought it sounded like an angry guinea pig or some other small critter living in my frame. But I've always had even power and great modulation, with stock rotors.

Did the sound go away when you tried the Galfer rotors. I think I'm going to try the new Hope two piece rotors if they will work with the Juicy's.

But if your brakes are overly grabby, you may want to try a different pad compound. EBC has, I think, three compounds, each with it's own +'s and -'s. You could also try a different set of rotors, you've got a whole load of those to pick from.

My .02, for what it's worth.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Sponsored by Xanax
    Ah, yes, the brake shudder issue. I'm comforted to see I have company in this misery. My Juicy 7's were driving me nuts, so I put Hayes V6 rotors on and thought it was history. Well, on fast runs, the brakes feel fine, but in the twisty, slower stuff the shuddering comes right back---maybe not as bad now that I'm using round rotors though. Guess I'll just have to live with it.

i cant speak for the sound issues some of you guys and gals have, but the "feel" thing i think i can explain. from what ive seen, heard and know, its the shape of a wave type rotor as it passes through the pads in a avid caliper that causes the pulsation. in almost every case, a round rotor makes it go away but the noise seems to persist no matter the pad choice. id like to try stans alluminum rotors to see if they fix the stainless steel squeel. anyone? avid will warranty the waveys for round at no charge. i now i keep a set in stock just for this reason so my custys dont have to wait.

this is all different than the centerlock thing. seems the problem there is a stainless rotor on a alloy carrier fit up to a small diameter spline held in place by another small diameter nut therefore creating a vibration or pulsation "harmonic". same feeling as the avid hydro/wavey issue but a totally different problem. id bet the same type of 2 pc rotor with a standard 6 bolt system would be fine if anyone made one. another point here is i get that same harmonic pulsation on my xtr cl rotors on bb7's. fyi.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Sponsored by Xanax
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i cant speak for the sound issues some of you guys and gals have, but the "feel" thing i think i can explain. from what ive seen, heard and know, its the shape of a wave type rotor as it passes through the pads in a avid caliper that causes the pulsation. in almost every case, a round rotor makes it go away but the noise seems to persist no matter the pad choice.
    Love to agree with you there, but that's why I went to the Hayes rotors, to get away from the stock wavy rotors. But the shuddering/pulsating feeling, not just the noise, persists. I don't believe it's as bad as with the original rotors, but it's still there. I think it's just something that lighweight/thin disc brake rotors are going to exhibit.

damn. thought i had the big money answer. but hey, i did say "in almost every case". can i still have the parting gifts?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Shut up and RIDE!
    I know about the pulsating problem with the juicy 7 bec. i use them on my enduro. The problem i have with my nitrous is different. The bike vibrates or shudders when i feather the rear brakes. I tried different rotors ; hayes, xtr, xt and it is still there. I even used the juicy 7 on the rear and it still vibrates. i tried changing the pads yet no change.

Anyway, i tried putting lots of grease in the spindle of the xtr rotors and it seemed to go away. i noticed that there is a slight play between the xtr rotors and the xtr hubs. putting grease removes the slight play. i hope i found the solution. i will post if i'm successful!