Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Next generation rfx will have ISGS tabs, 1.5 headtube and maxle?

Did a search and came up with nothing but alot of debate about cable stops.

I remember reading something about and was wondering if it had been confirmed by DT that the next generation RFX was coming with ISGS tabs, 1.5 headtube and maxle?? Thanks

FM
    luxatio erecta
    sneak preview. This is a prototype, the production version will have carbon fiber seatstays and "flex pivot"!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg hl.JPG (97.2 KB, 2134 views)

mtbr member
    Don't want a highline, i already have a DHR. I was thinking a 1.5 lyric, chainguide, heavy XC, jump, 4x, do everything but DH type bike.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    my money is on "no". if ya need those ya need a highline.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    my money is on "no". if ya need those ya need a highline.
    Highline=R.I.P.

right. why would ya want a highline for that?
    No, I'm NOT back!

drag. i wanted 1 of those too. maybe ill have to wait 5 years for a reintroduction like the rfx made.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Highline is too over built, too much travel, plus 150mm hub and wide stance plus limited crank choice (getting better though) and too close to my DHR that i already own for what i want. I was planning on putting on a shorter rear shock and running it around 4.5 - 5inchs front and rear. I would prefer a turner but i might have to settle on something else.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Highline=R.I.P.
    The Highline is the new RFX? The RFX is the new Highline? Dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!

mtbr member
    Rail?

I have a 2nd version rfx that's perfect as heavy duty xc/everything not DH bike, but obviously can't accommodate the 1.5 steerer you're after.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big-ted
    Rail?

I have a 2nd version rfx that's perfect as heavy duty xc/everything not DH bike, but obviously can't accommodate the 1.5 steerer you're after.
    Yeh, I have thought about getting one for a while but they are only making small 4x sizes (im 185cm and up to 95kg) plus its just a tad spindly being a flux/spot/rfx hybrid, i would prefer the extra 1 1/2lbs of the RFX under me. The newer rfx don't have ISGS tabs. which makes chain guide setup not so great.

**edit** and the older rails have whack geometry, step head angle and high bottom bracket.

But thanks for actually having a serious contribution to the thread

%$#$*!
    I would love to see Highline style frame that uses lighter tubing, 135mm maxle, approx. 13.6-75" BB, and 6.5" and 5.5" adjustable travel. with a 34lb reasonable build.

The current style (08) RFX doesn't need to retire for this to happen. DT how about 2011?

Hisforever
    the only way one of those will get made is if there is enough demand for one!

only a few would actually buy one. like the 4x bike, so until then lets pass the word on for the Prototype!
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    "No Maxle" for the 2009 RFX.

I thought I would wait longer for the Maxle if I could get it.
    I mind the wait....but I don't mind the weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Maxle

It will have the Maxle compatable dropouts as an option, and come with 10mm standard slots for those that have really nice wheels.

ISCG '05, 1.5 HT, yep, 135 x 73, no adjustable travel as usual, BB will not be 13 anything unless non standard shocks are used with short forks. It will be notably lower than the current with 160mm fork and 2.5 tires though. My intention is not slope style, as a 13.6ish BB and over 6" of travel would be, but big mountain free ride, ie a light replacement of the Highline. Those that don't want to ride a 8.5lb frame will be bummed.

Too many have pointed out that the current frame is too close to the Spot, so I am fixing that. This will be a much more FR bike than AM, hense the demise of the Highline. I could not have ya'll saying the 09 and the Highline are too close together. We will continue to sell the Highlines at a discount until they are gone for those that want a tough XC race bike that will take a 29" wheel.

DT

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Bombs away...
    There goes my best friend RFX, best bike I ever had...
    So let the grief begin, with help of our fellow homer Elisabeth Kübler-Ross:
    --> --> --> --> RIP

Then again - I can't wait to see the new bike!
    Last edited by tald; 04-23-2008 at 01:08 PM.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Cat's out of the bag eh?

I know the 2009 will be an incredible bike, and I can't wait to see the prototypes.
    I also understand it's costly to offer so many models with perceived overlap.

But I'm a little bummed that the E-whining of some californians may have influenced this direction. The 5-spot is not quite enough for some of our local trails, where it's not so much about strength or travel, it's about having relaxed geometry for steep downhills without resorting to over-forking the bike, resulting in unbalanced suspension. Thus I am still very excited about owning a current Highline (perfect for shore / whistler) and a current RFX (super versatile, light enough for AM/XC and slack enough for local gnar) I guess I will have to happily keep them for a few years!

PS, looking forward to full length housing on all turners in 2010!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    And I was going to wait until next year to get a Highline. I'm glad I didn't wait. I have an 03 Spot and 06 RFX and now a Highline and I'll see how much they overlap before deciding their fate. The Spot and RFX are great bikes and I'm certain the Highline will be stellar.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    It We will continue to sell the Highlines at a discount until they are gone for those that want a tough XC race bike that will take a 29" wheel.
    Sweet! I've always wanted a 7" 29ner. Perhaps the '09 RFX can be retrofitted to run 27.5

DT, I am still wanting slopestyle geo (slacker HA and low 13s BB) so I hope you'll leave enough room to run a shorter rear shock with the same shaft travel.

I rode an Intense Slopestyle for a week and love the geo. I just couldn't take the very noticeable pedal kickback on square edge hits and stiffening on the rear when braking in rough.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I'm a little bummed that the E-whining of some californians may have influenced this direction.
    I'm sure DT has become very adept at tuning out E-whining californians. The real reason behind the consolidation is undoubtedly how the Sultan was cutting into the sales of the RFX and Highline.

Seriously though, 8.5 lbs. must be with a coil shock, right, or are we talking about a frame even beefier than the legendary '02 RFX (i.e. ~9.5 lbs. w/ coil)? That would be quite a dramatic shift.

Assuming it's with a coil shock, the frame gained what, half a pound or so? I think that and the other moves (1.5, ISCG, Maxle) would put it more squarely between the Spot and Highline, even if the current RFX fills a nice niche as is.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

~~~~~~~~
    right on DT!
    whether it be a old RFX, a spot, a new RFX, an 09 RFX, a highline... all great versatile bikes.

for the low riders, 1.5 headtube with a zero stack should help, and then chop a hair off the rear shock?

One last ohnine rfx question, will the axle path etc. favor dh, pedaling, landings or all?

Lay off the Levers

There's posers and then there's POSEURS!

Quote Originally Posted by miles-off
    Seriously though, 8.5 lbs. must be with a coil shock, right

Who the puck wants an air shock on a FR frame anyway?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Sounds interesting. Curious about the angles on the new RFX.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Seriously though, 8.5 lbs. must be with a coil shock, right, or are we talking about a frame even beefier than the legendary '02 RFX (i.e. ~9.5 lbs. w/ coil)? That would be quite a dramatic shift.
    Current RFX: 7lbs with rp23
    add 1-1.5lbs for a coil shock and you're already at 8-8.5lbs
    So I think you are looking more along the lines of the '02 (9-10lbs with coil) which sounds about right if this new RFX will be replacing the highline.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    DT, I am still wanting slopestyle geo (slacker HA and low 13s BB) so I hope you'll leave enough room to run a shorter rear shock with the same shaft travel.

I rode an Intense Slopestyle for a week and love the geo.
    Did you measure the geo on the intense? From what I have heard the BB's are well over 14". I still don't believe you can have a sub-14" BB without either shortening travel, lengthening the chainstays, bending/interrupting the seat tube or some combination of all these.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Did you measure the geo on the intense? From what I have heard the BB's are well over 14". I still don't believe you can have a sub-14" BB without either shortening travel, lengthening the chainstays, bending/interrupting the seat tube or some combination of all these.
    Believe it: actual BB on the Slopestyle is 13.5", 6.75" travel, 66.5 HA with a RS lyric and zero stack headset. Works very well IMHO...
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast