Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Next generation rfx will have ISGS tabs, 1.5 headtube and maxle?

Did a search and came up with nothing but alot of debate about cable stops.

I remember reading something about and was wondering if it had been confirmed by DT that the next generation RFX was coming with ISGS tabs, 1.5 headtube and maxle?? Thanks

FM
    mtbr member
    sneak preview. This is a prototype, the production version will have carbon fiber seatstays and "flex pivot"!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg hl.JPG (97.2 KB, 2156 views)

mtbr member
    Don't want a highline, i already have a DHR. I was thinking a 1.5 lyric, chainguide, heavy XC, jump, 4x, do everything but DH type bike.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    my money is on "no". if ya need those ya need a highline.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    my money is on "no". if ya need those ya need a highline.
    Highline=R.I.P.

right. why would ya want a highline for that?
    No, I'm NOT back!

drag. i wanted 1 of those too. maybe ill have to wait 5 years for a reintroduction like the rfx made.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Highline is too over built, too much travel, plus 150mm hub and wide stance plus limited crank choice (getting better though) and too close to my DHR that i already own for what i want. I was planning on putting on a shorter rear shock and running it around 4.5 - 5inchs front and rear. I would prefer a turner but i might have to settle on something else.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Highline=R.I.P.
    The Highline is the new RFX? The RFX is the new Highline? Dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!

mtbr member
    Rail?

I have a 2nd version rfx that's perfect as heavy duty xc/everything not DH bike, but obviously can't accommodate the 1.5 steerer you're after.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big-ted
    Rail?

I have a 2nd version rfx that's perfect as heavy duty xc/everything not DH bike, but obviously can't accommodate the 1.5 steerer you're after.
    Yeh, I have thought about getting one for a while but they are only making small 4x sizes (im 185cm and up to 95kg) plus its just a tad spindly being a flux/spot/rfx hybrid, i would prefer the extra 1 1/2lbs of the RFX under me. The newer rfx don't have ISGS tabs. which makes chain guide setup not so great.

**edit** and the older rails have whack geometry, step head angle and high bottom bracket.

But thanks for actually having a serious contribution to the thread

%$#$*!
    I would love to see Highline style frame that uses lighter tubing, 135mm maxle, approx. 13.6-75" BB, and 6.5" and 5.5" adjustable travel. with a 34lb reasonable build.

The current style (08) RFX doesn't need to retire for this to happen. DT how about 2011?

Hisforever
    the only way one of those will get made is if there is enough demand for one!

only a few would actually buy one. like the 4x bike, so until then lets pass the word on for the Prototype!
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    "No Maxle" for the 2009 RFX.

I thought I would wait longer for the Maxle if I could get it.
    I mind the wait....but I don't mind the weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Maxle

It will have the Maxle compatable dropouts as an option, and come with 10mm standard slots for those that have really nice wheels.

ISCG '05, 1.5 HT, yep, 135 x 73, no adjustable travel as usual, BB will not be 13 anything unless non standard shocks are used with short forks. It will be notably lower than the current with 160mm fork and 2.5 tires though. My intention is not slope style, as a 13.6ish BB and over 6" of travel would be, but big mountain free ride, ie a light replacement of the Highline. Those that don't want to ride a 8.5lb frame will be bummed.

Too many have pointed out that the current frame is too close to the Spot, so I am fixing that. This will be a much more FR bike than AM, hense the demise of the Highline. I could not have ya'll saying the 09 and the Highline are too close together. We will continue to sell the Highlines at a discount until they are gone for those that want a tough XC race bike that will take a 29" wheel.

DT

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Bombs away...
    There goes my best friend RFX, best bike I ever had...
    So let the grief begin, with help of our fellow homer Elisabeth Kübler-Ross:
    --> --> --> --> RIP

Then again - I can't wait to see the new bike!
    Last edited by tald; 04-23-2008 at 02:08 PM.

FM
    mtbr member
    Cat's out of the bag eh?

I know the 2009 will be an incredible bike, and I can't wait to see the prototypes.
    I also understand it's costly to offer so many models with perceived overlap.

But I'm a little bummed that the E-whining of some californians may have influenced this direction. The 5-spot is not quite enough for some of our local trails, where it's not so much about strength or travel, it's about having relaxed geometry for steep downhills without resorting to over-forking the bike, resulting in unbalanced suspension. Thus I am still very excited about owning a current Highline (perfect for shore / whistler) and a current RFX (super versatile, light enough for AM/XC and slack enough for local gnar) I guess I will have to happily keep them for a few years!

PS, looking forward to full length housing on all turners in 2010!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    And I was going to wait until next year to get a Highline. I'm glad I didn't wait. I have an 03 Spot and 06 RFX and now a Highline and I'll see how much they overlap before deciding their fate. The Spot and RFX are great bikes and I'm certain the Highline will be stellar.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    It We will continue to sell the Highlines at a discount until they are gone for those that want a tough XC race bike that will take a 29" wheel.
    Sweet! I've always wanted a 7" 29ner. Perhaps the '09 RFX can be retrofitted to run 27.5

DT, I am still wanting slopestyle geo (slacker HA and low 13s BB) so I hope you'll leave enough room to run a shorter rear shock with the same shaft travel.

I rode an Intense Slopestyle for a week and love the geo. I just couldn't take the very noticeable pedal kickback on square edge hits and stiffening on the rear when braking in rough.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I'm a little bummed that the E-whining of some californians may have influenced this direction.
    I'm sure DT has become very adept at tuning out E-whining californians. The real reason behind the consolidation is undoubtedly how the Sultan was cutting into the sales of the RFX and Highline.

Seriously though, 8.5 lbs. must be with a coil shock, right, or are we talking about a frame even beefier than the legendary '02 RFX (i.e. ~9.5 lbs. w/ coil)? That would be quite a dramatic shift.

Assuming it's with a coil shock, the frame gained what, half a pound or so? I think that and the other moves (1.5, ISCG, Maxle) would put it more squarely between the Spot and Highline, even if the current RFX fills a nice niche as is.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

~~~~~~~~
    right on DT!
    whether it be a old RFX, a spot, a new RFX, an 09 RFX, a highline... all great versatile bikes.

for the low riders, 1.5 headtube with a zero stack should help, and then chop a hair off the rear shock?

One last ohnine rfx question, will the axle path etc. favor dh, pedaling, landings or all?

Lay off the Levers

There's posers and then there's POSEURS!

Quote Originally Posted by miles-off
    Seriously though, 8.5 lbs. must be with a coil shock, right

Who the puck wants an air shock on a FR frame anyway?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Sounds interesting. Curious about the angles on the new RFX.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Seriously though, 8.5 lbs. must be with a coil shock, right, or are we talking about a frame even beefier than the legendary '02 RFX (i.e. ~9.5 lbs. w/ coil)? That would be quite a dramatic shift.
    Current RFX: 7lbs with rp23
    add 1-1.5lbs for a coil shock and you're already at 8-8.5lbs
    So I think you are looking more along the lines of the '02 (9-10lbs with coil) which sounds about right if this new RFX will be replacing the highline.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    DT, I am still wanting slopestyle geo (slacker HA and low 13s BB) so I hope you'll leave enough room to run a shorter rear shock with the same shaft travel.

I rode an Intense Slopestyle for a week and love the geo.
    Did you measure the geo on the intense? From what I have heard the BB's are well over 14". I still don't believe you can have a sub-14" BB without either shortening travel, lengthening the chainstays, bending/interrupting the seat tube or some combination of all these.

Amphibious Technologies
    Did you measure the geo on the intense? From what I have heard the BB's are well over 14". I still don't believe you can have a sub-14" BB without either shortening travel, lengthening the chainstays, bending/interrupting the seat tube or some combination of all these.
    Believe it: actual BB on the Slopestyle is 13.5", 6.75" travel, 66.5 HA with a RS lyric and zero stack headset. Works very well IMHO...

Outcast
    The RFX has come full circle; next year, my '02 will be allmost identical to the new '09 model except for thr 1.5 headtube, bb height, and maxle compatible

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    No big deal.

My medium 6-Pack with coil DHX weighed 8.5 lbs

Bye-bye RFX-lite
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

~~~~~~~~
    btw cave dweller, thanks for giving DT that nudge!

FM
    mtbr member
    Believe it: actual BB on the Slopestyle is 13.5", 6.75" travel, 66.5 HA with a RS lyric and zero stack headset. Works very well IMHO...
    Yes I believe you may be correct!
    Thats where a VPP is cool, vertical axle path yada yada yada. Also means chain growth etc.

I do not believe it is possible on a TNT, single pivot or horst link bike as the wheel rotates up and forward towards the seat tube.

Here's my proof. Got the Highline BB down to 13.5" with 6.5" of travel, but that's with longer chainstays and tire was buzzing on the seat tube.

Got my '07 RFX Bottom bracket down to 14" with 6.4" travel. It cannot go lower.

"Its All Good"
    The RFX, transforms back to a real Staunch AM Medium FR frame.... Yeah ha.... Not a pansy frame...... Evolution is cyclic is it not?.... Will never say told you so though.... Not in the nature of a Kiwi......LOL

Be cool to see the mesurements on the Proto... Am sure DT has one floating around, or will be working on one now that See Otter is done and dusted for the year...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Amphibious Technologies
    Yes I believe you may be correct!
    Thats where a VPP is cool, vertical axle path yada yada yada. Also means chain growth etc.

I do not believe it is possible on a TNT, single pivot or horst link bike as the wheel rotates up and forward towards the seat tube.

Here's my proof. Got the Highline BB down to 13.5" with 6.5" of travel, but that's with longer chainstays and tire was buzzing on the seat tube.

Got my '07 RFX Bottom bracket down to 14" with 6.4" travel. It cannot go lower.

What I did not mention is the silly 74 degree seat angle. I reckon it is that way because the seatube had to give way to tire clearance and remain uninterrupted. Then again, you are supposed to be off the saddle on a slopestyle bike anyways....

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    The RFX, transforms back to a real Staunch AM Medium FR frame.... Yeah ha.... Not a pansy frame...... Evolution is cyclic is it not?.... Will never say told you so though.... Not in the nature of a Kiwi......LOL

Be cool to see the mesurements on the Proto... Am sure DT has one floating around, or will be working on one now that See Otter is done and dusted for the year...
    maybe competing with the crop of lightweight 6" travel bikes that hit the market, i.e. specy's enduro SL, may have influenced the dearly soon to be departed RFX SL.

FM
    mtbr member
    not buying that, having owned both old and new.

Weight doesn't do anything good by itself.

You gotta remember this cool new RFX is coming at a cost, now what's the ideal Turner for riding the shore? It's not the DHR. How will this new RFX compare to the highline, will people use words like

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    a real Staunch ...FR frame.... Yeah ha.... Not a pansy frame...... Evolution is cyclic is it not?.... Will never say told you so though.... ...
    If you can muscle a 9lb RFX, will it be better than a 10lb highline? We'll see......

Go Fast, Take Chances.
    Feb 2007
    For us '07-'08 RFX owners, it would be cool if we were able to swap in the '09 chainstays for the ability to run the Maxle. Although, this may negatively affect geometry and/or weight.

Amphibious Technologies
    not buying that, having owned both old and new.
    Don't you already own an '08? Why are you so concerned about the upcoming '09 model? Folks who want an RF Xc-light can always get them now.

mtbr member
    I don't know how I feel about this. What will the travel be on the new RFX? Maybe next fall will be a great time to pick up an '08 RFX on closeout (like I did with the '06) ...

I guess DT has decided to move the RFX from competing against the Remedies and Enduros to the Delerium T. I am sure it'll be a great bike but it might end up being even more of a compromise than the '07/'08 RFX was. How many people here do big mountain FR?

After all, if you buy a 9lbs frame, you are not going to build it as a 31lbs bike (well, some people will but then they, like me, would be better served by a 6.5in of travel, 7lbs frame). And if the bike weighs 38-40lbs who cares if the frame weighs 9, 10, or 11lbs when you have 10lbs of rotating weight in the wheels?

"Its All Good"
    If you can muscle a 9lb RFX, will it be better than a 10lb highline? We'll see......
    FM, I agree with you on this one, I dont know that the 09 RFX will be the ultimate lets say Shore Weapon as is the Highline..... But I dont think that many RFX users, use them to there full potential. And Hey am not knocking anyone here at all, just stating a thought..

If we use the likes of say El Clingon, would a 09 RFX handle what he is throwing at his HighLine, for sure it would..... Will the vast majority NEED a HL? I very much doubt it.... Would it be nice to have one, hell yes most would say.....

A tough decision that DT has to make......

I can now see why like Nicolai, has 4 Helius models..... The CC (trail type riding), Helius AM (All Mountain type riding) Helius FR (Heavy duty AM, into FR) then the Helius ST (Hardcore FR, some DH etc).... All based around the choice of fork available....

I am NOT for one knocking anything about Turner before some peeps jump on their hinds.... Merely conversation on a significant change in the Turner lineup it would seem....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

IPA
    Suck My Wake

There are other options besides an RFXc....

Don't you already own an '08? Why are you so concerned about the upcoming '09 model? Folks who want an RF Xc-light can always get them now.

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA
    I can't get over how ugly the Moment rockers are.

What was the reason behind bending the top tube to reduce standover height?

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    They welded it on upside down.

Reminds me of this quote by TE:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ellsworth
    It's only when you stand over the bike that you say, 'hey, I don't have very much standover clearance here,' you know?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    To look like the Trek Remedy.

~~~~~~~~
    don't forget the spot is getting some beef for 09 also...

IPA
    Suck My Wake

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    don't forget the spot is getting some beef for 09 also...
    Enlighten me please. I missed the boat on this one.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Yeah, I'd like to hear some more on that as well. DT, I think you should just start a new thread called "Turner Bikes' '09 secrets revealed."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

hmmm

Glad I have already managed to pi$$ off some of you with moving away from the RFX as it is. Fact is, the 07-08 rocks, but it is confusing to the riders shopping for a new bike. It is very close in many aspect to a 5.5 Spot, and for those going bigger it is more of a long travel trail bike than a free rider that can take the 'Shore, or ripping ALine or hitting the bigger lines in Sedona, Moab and any # of spots with active shovel and saw crews. Many DH bred cross country riders have shared thier opinions about the current RFX from both coasts and I really think that for really hauling a$$ in the dirt what riders need is a lower (easy Scuba) slacker shredder. For everyone that is looking to fly more in their riding this will be a better frame.

There is no such thing as one frame does all, so for everyone that has multiple bike needs this frame will be better for "this" kinda riding, whether you are a DH type rider looking for a cross country bike, or a trail rider like Aqua or Zilla that also has a penchant or looking for trouble on every pile of rocks and logs. It will not replace Aquas Jones or Zillas 5 Spot, but when they reach for the pads this is the bike to carry them over the edge. Of course Zilla already has a Highline so he won't need this frame, but for riders who are similar in their mountain biking. Aqua is on the 05-06 RFX so by next winter he will be ready to step up to a lower BB and slacker angles for assaulting boulders mountain sides somewhere in San Diego county.

If the 'gray area' has the DHR sitting on one side and the 5 Spot on the other, the 07-08 RFX is on the first quarter line up from the Spot, the new bike right in the middle and the Highline on the 3rd quarter line below the DHR.

The 8.5 lb weight is with an RP23. So, if a coil is installed, it is right back to 9.5lbs with a coil a la 2002, with a much lower BB, thru axle etc etc etc etc. The frame will be TOUGH in case anyone wonders where the 1.3lbs over the current frame went! And yes many coil shocks will fit, but with the quality of air shocks today I feel comfortable with the RP23.

The SA is 72, seems to work for the current version, and the old 73 was too steep imho. The HA will be 67 with a 160 fork and BB 14.1 with 2.5's. With the same % of sag you can see it will have a dynamic BB notably lower than the current frame with the same fork and tires. Not a slopestyle Scuba! Not interested at this time, if global warming picks up the pace all the ski areas will HAVE to run their chairs to pay the bills, then I will have a whole line of gravity bikes. But right now, the SS frame would be an even smaller piece of a small market niche. Redundancy intentional.

~~~~~~~~
    I'm certainly not on the boat either, but there was some discussion about beefing up the front end to handle more fork.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Sounds killer DT. Will travel still be the same, 6"+?

Amphibious Technologies
    DT, I hear you about a slopestyle frame but I think the '09 you describe will work just fine. Great work as usual

IPA
    Suck My Wake

Ohh, I see...

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    I'm certainly not on the boat either, but there was some discussion about beefing up the front end to handle more fork.
    A Spot+ to accomodate a 160mm fork and head angle, huh. Isn't that essentially an RFX?

Don't get me wrong, I dig how this 09 lineup will shake out:

FLUX/SULTAN at 4"
    SPOT+ at 5.5(+?)"
    RFX at 6.5"
    DHR at 8.5"

The SPOT+ would be really neat at about 5.8-5.9". That way you keep venerable 5Spot moniker but also sort of come to a happy medium with the Spot vs. RFXc 'tweeners.

Amphibious Technologies

Been there, done that

The SPOT+ would be really neat at about 5.8-5.9". That way you keep venerable 5Spot moniker but also sort of come to a happy medium with the Spot vs. RFXc 'tweeners.
    You get that much travel with push rockers.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast