Thread: Next gen sultan

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Next gen sultan

With the czar filling the roll of Xc/trail bike will we see the sultan go slacker and maybe 140m? The new pike goes to 160mm. I'd love to have a degree slacker 140mm sultan with a slightly shorter chain stay. Not crazy short, just a little shorter.

Kinda like the 5 spot did to fill the Rex roll.

Something to compete directly with the banshee prime, TB lt,and new enduro.

An enduro bike for us big guys. I'd love to fit on a burner but at 6'6" I still feel better on a 29er.

I'm running my sultan at this end of the use right now with a 140mm fork and a CCba and love it but some times wish for just a little more.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dlc View Post
    With the czar filling the roll of Xc/trail bike will we see the sultan go slacker and maybe 140m? The new pike goes to 160mm. I'd love to have a degree slacker 140mm sultan with a slightly shorter chain stay. Not crazy short, just a little shorter.

Kinda like the 5 spot did to fill the Rex roll.

Something to compete directly with the banshee prime, TB lt,and new enduro.

An enduro bike for us big guys. I'd love to fit on a burner but at 6'6" I still feel better on a 29er.

I'm running my sultan at this end of the use right now with a 140mm fork and a CCba and love it but some times wish for just a little more.
    ^^^Yes!

Now that there are multiple options for longer travel 29er forks. DT, please make the Sultan with a bit more travel, shorter chainstays and a little slacker geometry.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

P.S. I'd also probably try doing some enduro racing on it, so dropping the weight of the frame would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dlc View Post
    I'm with you. Half a degree slacker, 140 in the back, geo set for 140 fork, short-ish chainstays (not stupid short), 13.5 BB height, and what the heck, build it out of carbon!

Next week would work for me!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    I would'nt mind a larger travel sultan too, make it orange ano too!

mtbr member
    with a 142x12 rear axle...wotwot

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ALL Turner trail bikes already have 12x142 rear since the '12s

mtbr member
    I for one like the Sultan in itīs current form and I'm not fan of CF bikes.
    If there will be long travel 29er from Turner I hope it's not Sultan but different model.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

wish list

Aluminum framed CZAR with 120 mm rear travel and very similar geometry specs....then boost up the Sultan to 140 mm ! Still want to try a 650B though !
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hopefully Turner keeps building USA made AL frames vs. going carbon across the board. If you're in the market for an AM bike who cares about an extra pound? To me, carbon makes sense when you're at 2% body fat or racing where seconds matter.

Cassoulet forever !
    yep, carbon Sultan, 140 rear, 150 front, shorter rearend and low bb.
    full internal cables (transmission, seatpost, brakes) to prevent damages when falling and clean look

a tad less anti squat than on the Czar, because i would climb it with a 22 granny (long steep climbs at altitiude), not a single ring XC setup (that you can use pushing hard for not too long) like on the czar.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

not so super...

Next gen sultan

What I would not like to see on a new Sultan.

Not carbon

No internal cable routing

Not overly slack

No overly low BB

Not so short that it loses the stability
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA View Post

Not carbon

Not overly slack

No overly low BB

So basically the current gen Sultan?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA View Post

Not carbon

Not overly slack

No overly low BB

The realities of the market probably demand carbon. For the Sultan, I could go either way.

I'm with you 100% on no internal routing, but again, market forces (i.e., fads) may dictate otherwise.

69 degrees with a 140 fork is slack enough for me, which leaves things a bit slacker for 150 fork users.

Agree on the overly BB, but it has to be lower than 14 inches with the 150 fork. Maybe 13.75".

Take 0.5" max off the current chainstays, and life would be perfect. Shorter than that, and you're into the Too Much of a Good Thing zone.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough View Post
    Now that there are multiple options for longer travel 29er forks. DT, please make the Sultan with a bit more travel, shorter chainstays and a little slacker geometry.
    Figured I'd resurrect this thread now that Interbike has come and gone with no Sultan news. DT's been busy shipping three new bikes in the last year, but I have to think the Sultan is going to get some attention over the long, cold SoCal winter.

Slacker/longer travel/shorter chainstays seem to be the consensus, and I could definitely see such a beast keeping a Czar companion some day. Not sure I want (and almost definitely don't need) a 6" 29"er like the Enduro/WFO9, but a 5.5" Sultan with a ~68* HTA and chainstay length comparable to the Burner sure sounds like fun.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.