mtbr member
    Oct 2005

new XCE owner/need advice on shock set up

just bought a new/used turner xce w/romic shock. its my first full suspension so i could use some advice on rear shock set up. i weigh 200lbs and want to know what the best settings would be. thanks

Am not, had mine removed.

XCE Setup

First get a 100 mm fork with the correct springs, probably heavy for 200lbs. Else use an air fork and put the correct pressurer in it, call the manufacturer for a starting point. Finally put a 600lb or 650lb spring on the Romic, they usually come with a 750lb for the med which is way to stiff. If you need a new spring call Romic and ask who has one in stock which will probably be sketchy. I have gotten mine from Bikeco.com who does a pretty good turn around on the orders from Romic. The spring should run about $45.00.
    You want to ride behind someone who does something that?

770-271-9506

Alaska Turner Mafia

which rockers?

crez, does your XCE have the stock X rockers, or were they updated to XR rockers at the same time the Romic was installed?

If you're equipped with the stock rockers, and the 1.5 in stroke Romic, you've got 3.6 in of rear wheel travel. Employ the ballpark formula of compression ratio times rider weight equals spring rate to figure out which weight of spring to install. Compression ratio is rear wheel travel divided by shock stroke. In your case it turns out to be:
    (3.6/1.5) x 200 (let's say 210 with gear?) = 504
    A 500 lb spring should be a good starting point. If you ride without a loaded pack or lose a bit of weight, decrease to 450.

Always check with sag percentage to be sure. You can use the rubber bottom out cushion on the shock shaft for this. Push it as far up the shock shaft as possible, sit on the bike dressed as if riding, and measure how far down the shaft the bumper has moved. Personal preference comes into play here, generally 25 to 30% of the shock stroke (10 to 12mm). Adjust preload ring as necessary.

Tune the rebound and compression to your preference too.

You didn't mention the spring weight that came on the shock, maybe you got lucky from the start. If you have XR rockers the 550 spring will probably do ya. Have fun tinkering.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    thanks for all the good info guys. i just found this forum so i really appreciate the help...

not sure whether they are the stock or updated XR rockers. is there a visible difference? the bike is currently being shipped so i will have to wait until it arrives to verify which it has.

as for the spring rate, the guy i bought it from said the spring is rated for riders who weigh between 180 and 200 so not sure what spring it has.

that being said, man i cant wait to hit the trails on my new turner

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Rockers

Crez - On the inner part of the rockers, near the top of the seatstay bushing you will see the stamped letters "X-R" if these are the 4" plates.

If these aren't X-R you may want to upgrade to get that extra 0.4 inches of travel. Look in past posts. Seem to be mixed reviews as to whether this is worthwhile but I'm sure that you can get a set from folks here or from Paul's - they did a special production run of these rockers for folks on this forum.

Hope you like the bike. Initially I wasn't blown away by the frame but found that I was descending and single-tracking much faster than I'd gone before. Over the years I've come to love the bike and have been finding it a tough time convincing myself that an upgrade was worth it...but I'm really curious over the 5 Spot.

p.s. Welcome to the forum. The folks here seem to trap the unwary lurker and convert them to Turnerites/Homers.