Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New WTB Weirwolf tire?

I am ready for new tires on my 5 Spot. I currently have Weirwolf 2.1's (front & rear) and have never tried any other tire for a comparison. I know they're new, but has anyone tried or reviewed the new Weirwolf? It looks like WTB has made some good changes to this tire. My next setup will be a 2.3 front and 2.1 rear.

mtbr member
    We received a few of the new Wierwolf in the 2.3 TCS (tubeless compatible, but not as heavy as a UST). We were stoked with how the set up on a rim. The tread patern is a big improvement over the original. There is now a cornering channel between the transition knobs and the side knobs. That makes a big difference in our loose Utah conditions. Unfortunately they are considerably heavier than listed. The listed weight of 800gms looked great for a tubeless ready 2.3 with lots of knobby, dual compound rubber, and the "inner peace" sidewall, however, they actually weighed close ot 950gms. At that weight they are pretty heavy for trail bike use. If I remember correctly the USTs were even heavier than the TCS version.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That's quite a discrepancy in weight. How could they be off by 150 grams? Thanks for your info on these tires. Maybe I should try something different this go around. Any ideas for western slope Colorado?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The new single ply 2.5 minion DHF's that will be available in the next month or so. Even though it is a 2.5, it is about the same size as a kenda 2.35. The minion sizing is a farce. Great front tire for Colorado (Older euro version I have comes in around 850 grams). Pair it with whatever you like in the rear like a 2.25 Ardent.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I'm not a fan of specialized but their Eskar 2.3 tire is 2bliss and weight around 650g. just stay away from the Sworks series. very good volume. grip and weight. check them out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riflebike
    That's quite a discrepancy in weight. How could they be off by 150 grams? Thanks for your info on these tires. Maybe I should try something different this go around. Any ideas for western slope Colorado?
    That's exactly what we said when we weighed them. They went from being a great All-Mountain tire to a FR tire. Like another poster mentioned I'm a big fan of the 2.35 DHF. It is a bit small and only comes in 60 rubber (no dual compound), but it weighs about 700 gm and is very tough. If that 2.5 DHF single ply reaches the US that would be a good optoin too.

I've also been liking the Fat Albert F & R combo on my Yeti ASR5. They don't have quite the cornering channel as the DHF, but they come in good sizes, are pretty light, decently tough, and some sort of triple compound.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    We received a few of the new Wierwolf in the 2.3 TCS (tubeless compatible, but not as heavy as a UST).
    I jumped over to WTB's website and the TCS sidewall maybe just what we're looking for here in So. Utah. The single ply tires we've run have a tendency to tear with all the chunk we ride and we're hesitant to run UST tires (>1000 grams) or bomb-proof dual-ply DH tires (>1200 grams) because of the weight penalty. So if the TCS gives us the additional sidewall strength while keeping the weight under 1000 grams we may have a winner. Hopefully the available tread patterns work well with our dirt.

Scott, are the Fat Albert sidewalls similar to the Big Betty? The Betty's single ply sidewalls are one of the few that we've had good luck with, but the tread pattern isn't my favorite.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thank you all for the information. I have never minded the Weirwolf's and do like the changes they've made - aside from the weight gain. There are a lot of options out there to try, so the tire quest begins...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    I jumped over to WTB's website and the TCS sidewall maybe just what we're looking for here in So. Utah. The single ply tires we've run have a tendency to tear with all the chunk we ride and we're hesitant to run UST tires (>1000 grams) or bomb-proof dual-ply DH tires (>1200 grams) because of the weight penalty. So if the TCS gives us the additional sidewall strength while keeping the weight under 1000 grams we may have a winner. Hopefully the available tread patterns work well with our dirt.

Scott, are the Fat Albert sidewalls similar to the Big Betty? The Betty's single ply sidewalls are one of the few that we've had good luck with, but the tread pattern isn't my favorite.
    I took a look at the Schwalbe web site and they list the FA casing as Snake Skin and the BB as a Freeride casing. However the details for the FR casing is a "Single Ply with Snake Skin protection". Seeing as the weight is very similar they may have the same casing. I haven't tried the BB as the tread pattern doesn't appeal to me as much as the FA.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    I'm not a fan of specialized but their Eskar 2.3 tire is 2bliss and weight around 650g. just stay away from the Sworks series. very good volume. grip and weight. check them out
    What is the problem with S-works version of the Eskar? I have run one in front for over a year (albeit w/ a tube) without a problem. I suspect if converted to tubeless that the sidewall would tend to squirm under hard cornering?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thank you all for the information. I have never minded the Weirwolf's and do like the changes they've made - aside from the weight gain. There are a lot of options out there to try, so the tire quest begins...
    I have aquired (2) of the 2010 WTB Weirwolf TCS 2.35 tires and weighed them at 915 and 925 gms. A little heavy, but seems to have a nice stiff sidewall for cornering. I am a little disapointed in the size, had hoped they would of been a bit wider (although they run true to the stated size). should be an awesome tire aside from the weight penalty. Anybody know of a good 2.3-2.4 tire with stiff sidewalls that weighs in the 600-700 range for AM use (in loose loam soil)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I like my Eskars. As long as I run a tube. They keep the weight at 650g because they have very thin sidewalls. The narrower the rim the more noticeable the lateral flex. Even with a tube I noticed a big difference when go-ride hooked me up with some dt swiss 5.1d rims vs my 420 sl rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    That's exactly what we said when we weighed them. They went from being a great All-Mountain tire to a FR tire. Like another poster mentioned I'm a big fan of the 2.35 DHF. It is a bit small and only comes in 60 rubber (no dual compound), but it weighs about 700 gm and is very tough. If that 2.5 DHF single ply reaches the US that would be a good optoin too.
    the 2.35 single ply dhf is also available in super tacky 42a.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan
    What is the problem with S-works version of the Eskar? I have run one in front for over a year (albeit w/ a tube) without a problem. I suspect if converted to tubeless that the sidewall would tend to squirm under hard cornering?
    Yeah that and easily cut sidewalls (I run them Tubeless); paper thin sidewalls

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Yeah that and easily cut sidewalls (I run them Tubeless); paper thin sidewalls
    Check out the 2010 Eskars with Armadillo casing.

The side knobs are a few mm taller, and the Armadillo is a nylon weave in the casing. Mine weighs 730g. Tubeless bead + Armadillo (or snake skin or whatever extra sidewall protection) I think is the ticket for converted tubeless.

P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 03-16-2010 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan
    I have aquired (2) of the 2010 WTB Weirwolf TCS 2.35 tires and weighed them at 915 and 925 gms. A little heavy, but seems to have a nice stiff sidewall for cornering. I am a little disapointed in the size, had hoped they would of been a bit wider (although they run true to the stated size). should be an awesome tire aside from the weight penalty. Anybody know of a good 2.3-2.4 tire with stiff sidewalls that weighs in the 600-700 range for AM use (in loose loam soil)?
    Why would WTB list the weight of their tire +/- 75 grams lighter then it really is? Is this more common then I think?

Why would WTB list the weight of their tire +/- 75 grams lighter then it really is? Is this more common then I think?
    In a word, yes. Most manufacturers fudge their weights, plus there is the whole manufacturing tolerance thing as well. If you ever have the chance to weigh a bunch of the same tires you will see for yourself. I have seen a 100 gram variance in a small batch, think it was six tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've been having good luck with the Spec Purgatory Control. I'm running a 2.2 tubeless on 819s. They measure at 2.2 & weigh 670g. The 2.4 version is ~715g.

I've gone back & forth with Spec tires over the years but they finally seem to be getting it right & have a lot of casing & size options. I've used the Control casing on my rear tire for a year and it holds up well once the initial sealing happens. Also, they offer 90-day replacement so you can test drive.

mtbr member

+ 154g's here

My tcs 2.3 weighs 954g, not even close to 800g

How much does the UST actually weigh?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    Check out the 2010 Eskars with Armadillo casing.

The side knobs are a few mm taller, and the Armadillo is a nylon weave in the casing. Mine weighs 730g. Tubeless bead + Armadillo (or snake skin or whatever extra sidewall protection) I think is the ticket for converted tubeless.

P
    I have 09 Fat Albert UST 2.4 F/2.2 R combo. I am looking for something that's a bit better in wet conditions but still great all around (maybe because the triple compound seem like its high duro/hard compared of most dual compound tires I've used). I want to go back to using non-UST tires again.

Among these tires used with a rim strip tubeless, which do most recommend:
    -Eskar 2010 version - 2.3 in Armadillo (55/65 duro)
    -Nobby Nic 2 - probably would go dual 2.4 snakeskin
    -Rampage SC 2.3 (the new sticky compound version, 50 duro)
    -Panaracer CG 2.35 (dual compound, not sure duros)
    -Ardent 2.4 or 2.2 - soon available in exoprotection sidewall in both sizes (2.4 always had that feature), 60 duro
    -Other???

Right now I'm leaning towards the Rampage (for cost though a 50 duro tire won't last as long its probably worth it) or the Eskar Armadillo Elite.

mtbr member
    I've ridden my TCS 2.3's a few times now. I've had a difficult time keeping air in them... but I ended up putting 3 full scoops in each and riding them at 40psi for a few hours and now they aren't losing air. I haven't had a chance to try them again with 30 to 35 psi (what I ALWAYS run with UST) but plan to soon. The thing I don't understand, is one weighed 931g and the other 950g - waaaaaay overweight compared to printed - once you add 3 scoops, might as well run UST which I really prefer anyway. I've never had a flat with UST but you just patch and go. I have torn sidewalls and blown out Stans converted tires - it's really messy and now I just carry a tube with me just in case so what's the point of stans at that point?

Traction wise, the tires are fantastic. They are great in the mud too.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member

what rims?

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I've ridden my TCS 2.3's a few times now. I've had a difficult time keeping air in them... but I ended up putting 3 full scoops in each and riding them at 40psi for a few hours and now they aren't losing air. I haven't had a chance to try them again with 30 to 35 psi (what I ALWAYS run with UST) but plan to soon. The thing I don't understand, is one weighed 931g and the other 950g - waaaaaay overweight compared to printed - once you add 3 scoops, might as well run UST which I really prefer anyway. I've never had a flat with UST but you just patch and go. I have torn sidewalls and blown out Stans converted tires - it's really messy and now I just carry a tube with me just in case so what's the point of stans at that point?

Traction wise, the tires are fantastic. They are great in the mud too.
    Did you run them front and back?

I hear you about the weight, total bs. Almost worth exchanging for the UST.

Wonder if the sidewalls on the tcs version are stiffer than the UST.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillOG
    Did you run them front and back?

I hear you about the weight, total bs. Almost worth exchanging for the UST.

Wonder if the sidewalls on the tcs version are stiffer than the UST.
    I wonder too. On one hand, the TCS has the inner peace nylon insert. On the other hand, UST is a more robust casing that always seems to be nice and stiff/tear free.
    "It looks flexy"

29 some of the time...
    WTB doesn't seem to be affraid of heavy tires as of late. The Prowler and Stout tires from last season worked great as conversion tires. Weighing in at about 800-850g they had more than enough rubber and thread to make them reliable IME. I don't really get why putting a ust bead on would cost us 100g of added weight

FWIW most of my ust tires are in the 780-950g range for 2.2-2.4 sizes, so 900-950g is definitely in the UST category WRT weight
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, I went out on a limb and bought Kenda Nevegal DTC UST's (2.3 front & 2.1 rear). I wanted to try the Weirwolf's, but I am going to give Kenda's a shot. I'll post back after a few rides. Thanks to all for your tire insight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast