mtbr member

New Turner Question

I'm taking my new Burner out for the first time this weekend. Do I need to give the pivots a shot of grease before the first ride, or are they all greased up when you buy the frame? Also, how often is it recommended that I grease the pivots.

Thanks for your help.
    Buckeye

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye_nut
    I'm taking my new Burner out for the first time this weekend. Do I need to give the pivots a shot of grease before the first ride, or are they all greased up when you buy the frame? Also, how often is it recommended that I grease the pivots.

Thanks for your help.
    Buckeye
    My advice is: Go out and enjoy that great bike, and take a picture or two!

The pivots are lovingly greased during the assembly at Turner. It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot after the first few rides just to help work the stuff through the system and purge any air pockets that might have developed.(also no big deal)

Greasings aren't generally needed more than like every 3 months or so, depending on how much you ride, and what conditions. Basically when you begin to feel resistance when pumping on the grease gun, stop. The pivot is full and doesn't need any more. Putting too much pressure into pumping in grease will cause the zerk fitting to pop out from the back pressure. If you suspect you over pressurized the port, just stick the grease gun tip on a angle or a needle or small paperclip end in and let a small amount bleed back out.

Again this isn't a big deal, I'm just trying to be specific.

Cheers, gears and beers.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 05-04-2004 at 07:06 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    My advice is: Go out and enjoy that great bike, and take a picture or two!

The pivots are lovingly greased during the assembly at Turner. It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot after the first few rides just to help work the stuff through the system and purge any air pockets that might have developed.(also no big deal)

Greasings aren't generally needed more than like every 3 months or so, depending on how much you ride, and what conditions. Basically when you begin to feel resistance when pumping on the grease gun, stop. The pivot is full and doesn't need any more. Putting too much pressure into pumping in grease will cause the zerk fitting to pop out from the back pressure. If you suspect you over pressurized the port, just stick the grease gun tip on a angle or a needle or small paperclip end in and let a small amount bleed back out.

Again this isn't a big deal, I'm just trying to be specific.

Cheers, gears and beers.
    Thanks for the help 'zilla, I really appreciate it. I'm totally pumped to finally get back on the trails because I've been bikeless since September. My lungs are definately gonna be burnin'! My legs and upper body should be fine because I still lift weights.

I'll try to get some pictures of it before and after I get to the trails.

Thanks again for your help.

mtbr member

THEY know .......

I had a little question about this greasing frequency myself. I had an 02 that never seemed to need grease. Then I got my 5 Spot and rode the bejeezus out of it for 3 months. I decided to try forcing a little grease into the pivots and lo and behhold, the pivots that needed grease accepted it and the pivots that didn't..... umm... didn't.

I remember a post awhile back that advised the pivots don't need much grease and if they are ok when you try to grease 'em they just say no.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives