PSI
    I want that one

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! New strain of UGI virus!!!

Maybe Iv'e been binging on SSRI's lately but are those damn twist-shifters lookin good or what???
    donno, maybe its that neat clack they make, maybe its moving my brake levers real far out so i can one-finger without falling off my handle bars, or maybe its just that clean SS look?
    Anyone know the pros and cons? are the 2:1 version worth considering? do they come with thier own grips? do odi make short lock-ons for them? are they a good choice for technical riding? do they mis-shift when youre holding on for dear life going downhill? Please, spare no details.

banned
    go retro on more than the shifters and then you will have a massive array of future upgrades available when you reject the retro and return to the current.

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    go retro on more than the shifters and then you will have a massive array of future upgrades available when you reject the retro and return to the current.
    cool, they had mtb'ing in the 70s?
    or, are you saying they suck cause retro's not cool or theyre not cool cause there not good?

banned
    twist shifters work well, but I find they're in the way when you don't want them to be, and the unintentional shift from having your hand on the twist-shift part is kinda frustrating.

ODI makes short sized Lock-On grips for twist shifters. if you end up getting twist shifters and can't find short Lock-On grips, PM me and I can send you some of the YETI Hardcore Lock-On grips for twist shifters.

I used to use the twisters but once I tried SRAM's trigger shifters I stopped using the twisters.

mtbr member
    I've used twisters, "Attack" I think, for a while on my VPX and decided to install them on my new 6.6. I like the way they work - simple as that
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I've had XO twisties for over a season. 2:1 with XO rear. They work beautifully. I wanted to jump on the UGI bandwagon when the XO triggers arrived, but I couldn't justify it because my current setup is the best I've ever had. The twisties rock the FD, because you have 3 clicks between each shift; if you cable stretches or you were in a rush when you set up the FD and it's off, you can go a click in either direction to fine tune the position. Rear is just like any other shifter, one click, one gear. I don't see how anyone could accidentally shift one of these. The shifting action is very pronounces and requires a bit of force on the twist to shift it. I have ODI ruffian grips, they make short and long version of most of their grips, and the palm of my hand rests comfortably on the lockon grip, not on the twister anyway. Added benefit of the twister, which is probably the biggest reason I stayed with them, is the fact that you can mount the gravity dropper lever under the bar, where a trigger shifter would be, so with a thumb, you can raise and lower your saddle, rather than having to adjust your grip to engage the lever that's above the bar. And yes, they clean up the look of the bars, too.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    I don't see how anyone could accidentally shift one of these. The shifting action is very pronounces and requires a bit of force on the twist to shift it.
    I've got the exact opposite opinion of twisties, I always seem to be shifting when I didn't want to. Let me clarify that I used to race motocross in my younger years, so it is somewhat inate in me to hold the grip as far inward as possible and the twisting shifters just mess with me.

I tried to get used to them (been several years since I tried them) but I much prefer triggers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    why not wait and see what the new shimano shifters are like at the end of this year?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I've got the exact opposite opinion of twisties, I always seem to be shifting when I didn't want to. Let me clarify that I used to race motocross in my younger years, so it is somewhat inate in me to hold the grip as far inward as possible and the twisting shifters just mess with me.

I tried to get used to them (been several years since I tried them) but I much prefer triggers.
    exactly my problem.

the only way I could ride a twist shift was to grip the bar mainly with my little finger and ring finger, because if I gripped with my thumb the shifter could move, with my index finger same thing, with the middle finger same thing.

and I don't have big hands.

the twist shifter is designed to be ridden with your thumb/forefinger "circle" (made by your closed gripping hand) constantly on the twist shifter itself.

I guess I grip the bar strangely compared to those who use twisties successfully. I guess you're not supposed to grip the bar/grip with your thumb & forefinger, or if you do, you aren't supposed to use any kind of body english or bike maneuvering?

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    exactly my problem.

the only way I could ride a twist shift was to grip the bar mainly with my little finger and ring finger, because if I gripped with my thumb the shifter could move, with my index finger same thing, with the middle finger same thing.

and I don't have big hands.

the twist shifter is designed to be ridden with your thumb/forefinger "circle" (made by your closed gripping hand) constantly on the twist shifter itself.

I guess I grip the bar strangely compared to those who use twisties successfully. I guess you're not supposed to grip the bar/grip with your thumb & forefinger, or if you do, you aren't supposed to use any kind of body english or bike maneuvering?
    maybe its a riding style thing? I remeber somthing about twisters being better for xc vs. fr...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PSI
    maybe its a riding style thing? I remeber somthing about twisters being better for xc vs. fr...
    maybe. but I think it's more personal riding style -- how you ride your bike, how much body english and bike maneuvering you do. I don't think it's really a matter of FR or XC, as I would have the problem even while on an XC ride, if I was doing anything other than pedaling forward in a straight ahead manner. cornering and out-of-saddle climbing were places where I had problems.

but I would still try them, because they do have a unique feel and to some people much more simple to use. that's what it's about anyway, what works for YOU!

PSI,
    As others have said it really is a personal preference. I have never run twisties with a Shimano derailler but I have heard they are not as nice and crisp as compared to the 1:1 setup. However, I am currently running XO twist shifters with an XO rear derailler and it is by far the best combo I have ever had. My biggest thing for switching over was the ability to trim the front derailler so it never rubs like MK mentioned, now that I am used to that there is no way I could ever go back to triggers. The other area where I think they beat triggers is gear dumping, I can twist once and get 3-4 gears up or down - handy if you find yourself in the wrong gear. I personally have never miss shifted due to hand position or using body english, I think they are easier to use, require less maintenance and to top it off I like the way they look so whats not to like?

mtbr member
    Twist shifters are manditory for solo 24 races. Using finger shifters can be impossible from repetitive use over long rides where there is ferquent changing. The fine adust on the front derailleur is a bonus. Also they save some weight, dump gears, give another hand position (time trial style on the fat indicator section) and are simple (I've had a few shimano shifters stop shifting without a good lube). The X9 version is the deal - only benefit of the XO is their black and have a thinner grip (but the grip doesn't last as ong as X9).

I also have never missed a shift (using SRAM twisters for >10years). That said the shimaNO compatible versions have a lighter feel and this could be a chance with that combination. But who would use anything but an XO or X9 now - go SRAM!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Me too

I have had very good luck with my X0 twisters and X9 rear derailleur. On my previous bike, I had the rocket 8sp shifters and XTR rear derailleur and never had problems with that setup either. I can recall maybe twice in the last 10 years when I had a mis-shift, and it was from having my hands too far in on the grips and coming down hard off a drop. I got pitched forward a bit on the landing and heard a single 'click' from my rear shifter.

Not bad, I in fact dumped my x9 triggers in favour for the X0 twisters. Anyone want to my my old x9 triggers (less than 1 month of light use, sitting in a box at the moment).

BL
    MCM #269

"Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

Shot Down in Flames...
    delete.

duplicate post
    Last edited by D-Rock; 03-27-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Shot Down in Flames...
    If you're missing shifts and/or shifting when you don't want to, try changing your hand position.

I've found that Gripshift shifts better, plain & simple.

D.

I've got a Stiffee
    I run XO twisties on my Burner and love them, have never gotten an unintentional shift. They are very crisp and positive, the clicks are loud and it takes decent force to twist them. I don't think I'd run them on my other bikes because I don't like the fact that the brake levers are further in on the bars when I use the "twistie lock on" grips, but for the Burner they are doing the trick just fine.

... I guess you won't be
    I concur with the other throttle twisters in my distain for twisty shifters...seemed like a natural - twist the throttle and get a bigger gear - yeah! but, I never was able to ween myself off of grabbing a few gears when I got frisky and was workin' the bar over some nasty stuff - twist grip is not a throttle!.......twisters were a buzz kill for me....always twistin out of gear when I was doing something fun.....

Hey, if you don't torque on the grips a lot, they might be for you.....
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    I don't understand why throttle twisters would find twist shifters any different? Its like saying you grab handfulls of throttle when you jumped or such. In my limited motox days I didn't find myself twisting the throttle when I didn't want to - yet the whole grip moved. Twist shifters have indents and are only a fraction of the grip. Go figure. But I guess it is what it is for people...