Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New RFX colors

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New RFX colors

pics are up on Instagram, white and red with different decal options, looking good

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    pics are up on Instagram, white and red with different decal options, looking good
    New RFX colors-13007197_10153986150096970_7391248372070012667_n.jpgNew RFX colors-13015185_10153987020326970_1917512561448051567_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Probably custom painted, flow racing has a lot of custom stickers and color matching on their turners.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I will stick with black!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Its nice seeing some color on the RFX, but IMO these builds could look A LOT better. Flowrider has some real funky taste in their builds. Not my cup of tea.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    I don't understand the fascination with black as a color for bike frames. With the increased prevalence of carbon framed bikes, black seems to have become the default color and no amount of decal detailing will, in my opinion, improve the frame look. Thanks to Ibis, Santa Cruz and a few others for offering color options. I have owned a black 5 Spot, bought it used and couldn't strip and repaint it quick enough.

Now with flavor!!
    I don't understand the fascination with colors on a utilitarian fun tool. With the increased prevalence of carbon framed bikes, black is a nice simple, neutral approach that should appeal to a wide range of customers. I own a black RFX and I couldn't wait to get out and ride it fast enough to remind myself that worrying about a bike color as much or more than function as a grown ass man makes me sound like a little fashion princess.

Seriously though, black vs. Kalimotta wine puke that Bronson comes in.......black every time please.

That red rfx looks pretty good. What's that other one called? Tissue and radioactive snot?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I don't understand the fascination with colors on a utilitarian fun tool. With the increased prevalence of carbon framed bikes, black is a nice simple, neutral approach that should appeal to a wide range of customers. I own a black RFX and I couldn't wait to get out and ride it fast enough to remind myself that worrying about a bike color as much or more than function as a grown ass man makes me sound like a little fashion princess.
    Quote of the Day!

mtbr member
    With Aluminum, I preferred raw but I kind of like the Orange on the Czar.

Black always works for me though.

Those FlowRider colorways are custom and not direct from Turner if the FB comments are to be believed.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That said, the RFX paintjob will probably look horrible in two years with use.. lots of mud and rain here.. custom painting a frame isnt that expensive. Might do it in two years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The czar comes in 3 colorways...at least be consistent with the BS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Kidwoo, call me a little fashion princess then, that red one makes the RFX look like a fu#$*!^ Ferrari!!! Shows the lines in the frame wwwaaaayyyyy better than the dull black! I think my business partner's body shop is going to paint a bike frame for me!!!

mtbr member
    It's a shame they didn't wrap the white cable housings round and round the tubes on the red one...

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    Kidwoo, call me a little fashion princess then, that red one makes the RFX look like a fu#$*!^ Ferrari!!! Shows the lines in the frame wwwaaaayyyyy better than the dull black! I think my business partner's body shop is going to paint a bike frame for me!!!
    I guess for some it's a fashion show and others it's just a mtn bike..........Give me matte black (carbon) and raw (aluminum)......

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    It does look pretty fuggin sweet

I feel nothing regarding the value of my black one though......that's more my point.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    I don't understand the fascination with black as a color for bike frames. With the increased prevalence of carbon framed bikes, black seems to have become the default color and no amount of decal detailing will, in my opinion, improve the frame look. Thanks to Ibis, Santa Cruz and a few others for offering color options. I have owned a black 5 Spot, bought it used and couldn't strip and repaint it quick enough.
    Yes exactly! I simply can't find the words to express black is BLAHHHHHHH/boring, no life, no pop, nothing but a dark hole.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13007197_10153986150096970_7391248372070012667_n.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	1063621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13015185_10153987020326970_1917512561448051567_n.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	1063622
    both awesome color schemes

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    nothing but a dark hole.
    exactly

A black bike matches my soul

Elitest thrill junkie
    Do not like.

"It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

gone walk about
    exactly

A black bike matches my soul
    everyone has a cross to bare.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=dmar123;12578849]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13007197_10153986150096970_7391248372070012667_n.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	1063621

Wait, a red, white and blue RFX, but made in China?

Honestly, I does look nice, like people have said, Ferrari like.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Forgive me if new color ways do not get me all chubbed up. I need new Turners not colors!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Is it really that big of a deal to have one other colorway in addition to raw black and have painted on logos? It seems every other company has no trouble with this.

Its not a deal breaker but a 3K RFX frame deserves some paint even if its just logos.

oh wait I forgot if you paint the logo how will you sync up all your pretty fashion princess sticker colors

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not a big deal. I just don't give a shit. I like the option of colors. But my Turner is Black ANO. Could have had Orange or "Bronze".
    Turner needs too get a color consultant onboard. DT will laugh at that comment! Truth is DT don't give a shit about colors. Just us Homers obsess about it.

gone walk about
    colors rock and thats that so pfffttt!!

Kiwi that Flew
    Some higher res photos here--> TURNER RFX, Sea Otter Classic, EXT Racing Shox, Flowrider Racing, Onyx | Flowrider Racing
    New RFX colors-screenshot-2016-04-15-21.44.24.jpg

Yours for £10,000 !!!!!!!!!

I'm buying a lottery ticket and If I win, I'm getting this badboy!

Hands off!

mtbr member
    Maybe it's just me but the red one reminds me of......
    New RFX colors-red_rfx.jpg

A Candy Striper. The new RFX. Your Prescription for Pure Passion!
    New RFX colors-candy-striper-2.jpg
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I got some new colors on my RFX too!

New RFX colors-01040442f739dd3d25df20cd8355a564fda7cac582.jpgNew RFX colors-01fa475a86aae4465d0591042fe49198dabee0715a.jpgNew RFX colors-01add26646c5dc3565d9436a388c12f34b1743d141.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I got some new colors on my RFX too!
    meh

mtbr member
    The red one is way too much Specialized. Dave should let the frames be made in Taiwan and ship them over to the US for paint. The alu frames had wicked color options. For the carbon frames: meh!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sure is funny reading this drivel about colors! Not once can I remember riding my bike, looking down and thinking... I wish it was a different color. When Turner Bikes first started I got to/had to make all decisions and the first frames were brushed alloy, and every time I have done color since it has been as another persons insistence, and often times the color they chose was WRONG for the fickle market and the bike sat, paid for gathering dust. So, each and every time I have the final choice it will be for black carbon or raw alloy. Of course today, I don't make 100% of the choices, so we get some color now and then like the Czars and guess what?? Black out sells them by a Longgg shot. I am glad to know that others view mountain biking and bikes similar to me, it is not about looking at the bike, but making sure the chain has life in it for the next ride, that's all. But ya'lll ready knew that haha

As you all know, FlowRider is from Switzerland, as in the heart of the alps and Europe and that is clearly reflected in their show stopping flashy bikes. Thanks so much to Marc and Ladina for creating these flash bikes, they were beautiful in person.

DT

mtbr member
    Ha, DT last time you checked in to see what the homers were up to it was to provide lessons on picture taking.

I like black.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I remember looking down at my 5 spot when all the stickers started to peel off

Black is cool, But would at least like painted graphics though. I really like what you did with the new Flux nice subtle graphics ...looks like everything was painted on that?

What about providing a couple custom paint colors and painting per order? I thought that used to be an option with the 5 spot frames?

Elitest thrill junkie
    If I got a Czar, I'd get it in blue, because it's nowhere near as evil as the RFX.
    Last edited by Jayem; 04-20-2016 at 12:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. Every time I ride my black bike, I look down and wish it weren't black. So I'm thinking about having it re-painted. I'll never buy another black bike again, so boring. I get the bare aluminium look, I had an RFX that way. But black, meh.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Imagine a world without color, only black. Darth Vader would look just like everybody else, Johnny Cash would just be "The Man" and a black hole would be a simple hole.....

Color is part of the riot of life. Resistance is futile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here's my concern about color on CF bike frames. I admit it is only based on my owning 2 Yeti's. I think they are considered to be very high quality finishes by the industry.

Both frames had a painted top coat. Beautiful when new. After several months of riding. Rock dings, heel strikes, cable rub and flexing at various points on the frame develop and it became annoying and less than attractive IMO.

I just don't know if an appropriate paint exists that flexes and resists chipping in a really long lasting way.

For that reason I go with Anodizing on aluminum frames and bare carbon on CF frames and rims. Seems to stay new looking much longer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Black raw carbon frame with painted simple graphics/pinstriping similar like the new Flux has...dont even have to paint the whole thing, but at least paint the graphics ....stickers are lame.

some examples of simple graphics on a raw carbon frame:

we'll never be happy

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    Black raw carbon frame with painted simple graphics/pinstriping similar like the new Flux has...dont even have to paint the whole thing, but at least paint the graphics ....stickers are lame.

some examples of simple graphics on a raw carbon frame:

we'll never be happy

But all those examples NEED pretty colors.

Because they ride like shlt.

Transition exempted of course. They finally hired someone who can do math to design their frames. They have to use color because they don't see any in the sky for 7 months out of the year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Im with you in that the RFX is VASTLY superior in every way compared to those other mickey mouse bikes

Turners are a nice cake, really one of the best cakes out there...just think they could use a little more icing thats all.

gone walk about
    But all those examples NEED pretty colors.

Because they ride like shlt.
    haha, right.

Now with flavor!!
    I've been very aware of the colors of the SC trailbikes and ibis bikes I've ridden because I kept looking down at them going "who the fvck designed this thing???"

So far, I'm pretty sure my rfx is colored tree color, rock color and sprinting squirrel blur.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've been very aware of the colors of the SC trailbikes and ibis bikes I've ridden because I kept looking down at them going "who the fvck designed this thing???"

So far, I'm pretty sure my rfx is colored tree color, rock color and sprinting squirrel blur.
    cool story

Now with flavor!!
    Here's a better one. Because I'm a problem solver yo.

Garate Enterprises Inc Sparks, NV, 89431 - YP.com

Those guys used to coat some frames from companies you've probably heard of. I still send them bits and pieces for my snowmobiles and other random bike stuff. Their prices are insanely cheap and they do a good job. Give'em a ring see what they say about painting a plastic bike. Maybe check with Turner to see if there's anything special that needs to be considered regarding temps or finishes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Its really not a problem... being an artist and graphic designer myself just trying to offer some constructive criticism

not a fan of sticker graphics....would rather see a raw black frame with painted on white graphics or a white frame with painted black graphics. doesn't have to be crazy neon enduro colors. could always offer color sticker graphics as a third option if you need to have a certain color.

Enduro s-works rides like shit too I suppose

gotta paint those graphics cause they all ride like shit
    Last edited by dmar123; 04-21-2016 at 03:50 PM.

gone walk about

right again.

gone walk about
    Here's a better one. Because I'm a problem solver yo.

Garate Enterprises Inc Sparks, NV, 89431 - YP.com

Those guys used to coat some frames from companies you've probably heard of. I still send them bits and pieces for my snowmobiles and other random bike stuff. Their prices are insanely cheap and they do a good job. Give'em a ring see what they say about painting a plastic bike. Maybe check with Turner to see if there's anything special that needs to be considered regarding temps or finishes.
    10min down the road from me..no PC on plastic bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    None of the graphics are painted on, they are wafer thin water transfer decals that are then clear coated over, either some % of matte or gloss. There are some multi color painted bikes on the market of course, but the graphics and in some cases large sections of the frame are actually decals that add color to reduce painting costs which on multi color frames.

Carbon frames cannot be powder coated at this time, and the cost of wet paint like Marc from Florider did are about $700. Any shop doing lots of road frame restoration work or even autobody work could do a wet paint job. Some of the carbon repair facilities around the country are also offering full resto work on high end road that requires wet paint , talent and $$.

brakes; sometimes fixed
    Apr 2005
    The carbon Flux silver waterslide decals on matte white look very sharp DT!

That said - given the inevitable repeated contact with trails, heels, etc. this Turner thrasher would be reluctant to commit to a matte white frame. How is the preproduction Flux frame finish weathering the testing?

FWIW I am likely to hold out on Flux until a raw UD carbon option becomes available. Any truth to the rumor the first frame run will be white only?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There is a substantial clear coat over all graphics, or the watertransfer decals would not last a day. As anyone that has crashed a carbon bike into the rocks knows, the clear coat is thicker than one imagines and it takes quite the hit to go all the way into carbon.

The white being very 'flat' holds up well to muddy glove scratching as there is not gloss to dull!

There is no plan for UD black at this time, or even black paint like the RFX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast