mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New Rfx Build Kit

Hello fellow mountain bikers

Just ordered my new Charcoal Blue RFX from Turner yesterday. I have been up all night trying to find the best deal on a build kit. So far the best deal I have found so far is 2grand from colorado cyclist. Check it out and tell me what you think about this set-up for a RFX and if you think I can get a better deal somewhere else.

$1,951.74 Qty Product Description Total Price
    remove Kit: XT M775 Rapidfire, Easton Havoc
    Kit Details >>> $1951.74
    Easton AM Havoc Disc Front*
    Kenda Nevegal Stick-E Black 26x2.35"
    Easton AM Havoc Disc Rear*
    Kenda Nevegal Stick-E Black 26x2.35"
    Stan's No Tubes Single Shot 2oz.
    Shimano XT CS-M770 Cassette 9-spd 11/34*
    Shimano CN-HG93 Chain 9-speed
    Shimano XT M771 FD Down Swing
    XT M772 Shadow Rear Derailleur SGS*
    Shimano XT SL-M770 Rapidfire Shifter*
    Shimano XT M775 Disc Brake Kit* Front
    Shimano XT M775 Disc Brake Kit* Rear
    XT M770 Crankset *OE* 175mm 22x32x44*
    NothreadSet 1-1/8" Black
    Douglas Carbon 1-1/8" Headset Spacer Kit
    Douglas Race Evolution Saddle Black/grey
    Thomson Seatpost 330mm 27.2mm Black
    Easton EC-70 CNT Monkeylite Bar 31.8mm
    X4 Stem 10 degrees 31.8mm 110mm Black
    Douglas Vice Grips Black
    08 Fox Forx 36 Float RC2

Captain Underpants
    E-mail your list to Larry @ Mtn High Cyclery and se what he can do for you.

mtnhighcyclery@comcast.net

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Here are some random thoughts:

How big are you? What type of riding do you intend?

Wheels: Easton AM Havoc Disc - did you think about lacing up a set of wheels instead? That should make your life easier if you trash a wheel (e.g. need to replace rim, break a spoke, etc). You can get similar weight, width and price to Havocs by combining Hope hubs and Stans Flow or DT5.1.

Tires: Kenda Nevegal Stick-E Black 26x2.35" w/ Stan's No Tubes Single Shot 2oz. - Nevegals are some of the harder tires to close up with Stans. They tend to leak a lot.

XT, Thomson, ChrisKing - cant go wrong.

110mm stem - how tall are you? sounds pretty long for an RFX.

08 Fox Forx 36 Float RC2 - IMHO adjustable travel forks (e.g. 36 Talas) add significantly to the climbing pleasure on long or steep climbs, and also let you get away with a shorter stem. Especially on an RFX.

And most important - post pics when you get it!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Thanks for your thoughts

5'8" 240 but light on my bike.
    The wheels should be fine, I am pretty easy on my equipment. I have a set of mavic x-max sl on my dragon for 5 yrs and they are still straight and true. Tha stans comes with the kit but I run tubes. I have the kenda's on my Foes FXR and they seem to work well for me with all the sand we have to contend with in Florida. They have a special deal on the wheels right now so if I even went with XT hubs with 819's the price jumps up 250.00 and I think the easton's are a better wheelset. If I change wheelsets I would pony up the extra change and go with chris king. The lenght of the stem is one of my quirks. I hate being on top of the bars. I like the feel of an open cockpit. That might be my gut telling me that though.LOL The fork is the one I am struggling with. I am kind of a set it and forget it type of guy. So I just went with the lightest. It seems that every fork in this cat. is getting bad reviews for losing air or stiffening up and making wierd noises. I long for the days of my trusty Z1. I will definatley get the pictures up when I get her built along with my foes and heckler. MUCHOS GRACIAS

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by tald

110mm stem - how tall are you? sounds pretty long for an RFX.
    I'd second that comment. I'm 6'4" and will be running a 75mm on my XL. (edit: just saw your comment, looks like we posted at the same time). I'd still go with a shorter stem as the RFX is not an XC bike. Others can chime in.

Also, I couldn't find that saddle on the CC website, But if you have a favorite saddle I'd stick with that.

Picking parts and staying on budget is difficult. I just went through this process with an RFX and ended up spending a little more than anticipated (about $300), but I won't be doing any parts swaps once I get the bike built up. Ultimately, it comes down to what you can afford and what you can live with, and the two don't often meet. Good luck with your build, and do post pics!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    im a member of the long stem on a rfx club but that has to do with home terrain and out uber steep climbs. that said, at 5'9", i only run a 100. id think a 110 would be huge long specially in fla where the only climb is on a plane out of miami.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    the saddle is the default kit saddle. I run an SDG Bel-aire. I bought 4 from mr bike store on EBAY which is the one I will use on this bike. It won't match but it is my fav. I guess I need to revisit my thoughts on the stem length. I have a 90 that I had on my foes which I changed out for a 110 so maybe I will try that first. Thanks for your suggestions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

LOL Mountains in fl

Hey don't forget our landfills. What's a little stench when your among friends on your bike.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm 5'91/2" and ride a medium 06 RFX which has a .5" longer tt than the new RFX. I had a 70 and a 50mm that I had planned on swapping depending on the trail but ended up keeping the 50mm on for everything. I was very surprised at how well it climbed and the handling for everything else was spectacular as well. IMO a 110mm is a throw back to road bike fit where pedalling efficiency and aerodynamics not bike handling are the goal. Give a 50-60mm stem a shot.

I would also recommend Larry.

Also think about going TALAS vs Float. IME it's front end height not reach that will help you scratch your way up steep climbs. Drop the front end down 30mm and it will mimic a 5 Spot on the way up. Yea, it's a crutch, but then so is my Gravity Dropper seatpost.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.