Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New releases from Turner in 2013/14? Let the speculation begin

What do you think Dave will come up with?

Will the Sultan get a new design similar to the Flux?
    I have seen somewhere that he will release more carbon frames. What will the next carbon frame be? I am putting my money on a 29er trail carbon with 120-130 mm of travel. This seems to be the most popular one bike quiver for the moment and I would gladly put my money here.
    When will we see the releases? Interbike or Sea Otter next year or another time?

Anyone have some Turner gossip :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Well there is the new 650b flux.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    New 5spot 650 150-160mm!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Rfx.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    Rfx.
    RFX Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    RFX Carbon 29

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    DHR Carbon 29 :-D

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Dhr 27.5

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My choice would be to give the Sultan the Czar treatment.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The old "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. 650b Flux, new Burner, and Czar isn't enough!
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Any guesses as to the weight loss of 29er trail carbon Turner with 120-130 mm of travel vs the current Sultan? Maybe -450 grams?
    Last edited by Biopace; 07-15-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Well Biked
    130mm AM 29er. Something like the Banshee Prime. Carbon would be sweet too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite View Post

I have seen somewhere that he will release more carbon frames.
    "More" carbon frames? Like hes already making some now? He wrote in another thread that he's got no plans for a carbon Burner. Bummah big time! Carbon Burner would've brought me back too.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    "More" carbon frames? Like hes already making some now? He wrote in another thread that he's got no plans for a carbon Burner. Bummah big time! Carbon Burner would've brought me back too.
    The czar is carbon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    The czar is carbon.
    Cool, so Turner does have carbon but in an XC racer.

I'll say again, if the Burner were carbon AND had a true tapered head tube, to me that would be the ultimate ride. I still dont get why the odd 44mm headtube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    The old "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. 650b Flux, new Burner, and Czar isn't enough!
    my thoughts exactly; 3 of the 5 bikes in the lineup are new and people are expecting something else. I wouldn't hold my breath.

mtbr member
    So DT has stated

1. He's has another Carbon bike in development
    2. He sees the advantage of Carbon for racers trying to get the highest performance not on trail bikes

Therefore he's made a XC race bike...

Now I wonder what other (R)ace bikes does he make...?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The reason why I am asking is I have seen in an interview DT mentioning developing more than one carbon frame.
    The Sultan is a likely candidate to get an update similar to to the design which the Flux with weight saving and perhaps a new geometry.
    It has been quiet for some time before he released the three new bikes so I would not be suprised if we see something new within the next year.
    And I just really hope he releases a carbon trail 29er because that is where I would put my money :-)

~~~~~~~~
    I speculate that no one in this thread will guess the next new model.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Carbon Flux 275!

mtbr member
    A Sultan in carbon with 17.4 inch stays would get my money for certain. Hell, a Sultan with 17.4 stays in aluminum would get my money.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Go ahead laugh, I would love to see Zero Spot. Titanium hard tail. With some some kind of cool artistic vibe. 29er flavor.

Proud owner of new 5 spot.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Go ahead laugh, I would love to see Zero Spot. Titanium hard tail. With some some kind of cool artistic vibe. 29er flavor.

Proud owner of new 5 spot.
    You know, I was just thinking how badass a Turner hard tail would be.

Zero Spot...I love it!

Cassoulet forever !
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite View Post

Will the Sultan get a new design similar to the Flux?
    I have seen somewhere that he will release more carbon frames. What will the next carbon frame be? I am putting my money on a 29er trail carbon with 120-130 mm of travel. This seems to be the most popular one bike quiver for the moment and I would gladly put my money here.
    When will we see the releases? Interbike or Sea Otter next year or another time?

Anyone have some Turner gossip :-)

Yes a carbon trail 29er.
    a tallboy LTc killer
    140mm DWl travel, long top tube short chainstays
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Paper or plastic?
    I would not expect another Spot. Right now, the 26" market looks pretty dead. Might be different next year, but I doubt that Turner would spend money on a new 26" frame.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    The 26'' is not dead. Do some research.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1 View Post
    Huh? Show me one new 26er frame being released. If it ain't dead, it is going on life support...

mtbr member
    2014 Stumpy Evo 26''. My thoughts are that 650B is a gimmick being forced upon us for no reason besides to generate profit. I'm getting off my soap box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New releases from Turner in 2013/14? Let the speculation begin-p5pb9842555.jpg  

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    2014 Stumpy Evo 26''. My thoughts are that 650B is a gimmick being forced upon us for no reason besides to generate profit. I'm getting off my soap box.
    Specialized has no 27.5 I believe. Too many 29ers.

Maybe a gimmick, but 26ers are fast becoming a rarity when it comes to new announcements. I'm still riding mine but the next new bike will have bigger wheels I would guess. Thinking 29er for my riding though.

Bob

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ibis just released the HDR in 26.
    I ride a 5-spot.
    Maybe a carbon 5-spot?
    29 is lame. They turn all tight singletrack into doubletrack...BOOO!
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Let's look at this logically.

Turner is a relatively small company. As such, capital and time is at a premium. CF bikes demand lots of both of these things.
    Turner can build bikes easily in US out of aluminum and these bikes cost considerably less when done this way , which is good for sales and R&D.

The Czar was a way to get a huge bang for the R&D buck but IMO is more of a PR thing to restablish Turner as THE Racer's choice and raise the image a bit, which isn't really intended for all of us homers.

The next CF bike will be for the homers and new customers who will now pay much more attention to Turner now that they are dabbling in CF.

As much as I love them 26" wheel format is clearly heading to the dustbin.
    27.5 will pretty much replace them on full size bikes. 29" will be the "option" for those with the fitness and desire to wagon wheel everything.

So my prediction?............CF Burner for debut at Interbike.
    Burner-Proven sales success, proven geometry success, new wheel size format, category is the new standard. Maybe a bump in travel to 6"? No brainer.
    I think new Flux could happen, Sultan later, but not yet. DHR--last in line. Burner is the new 5 Spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard2Catch View Post
    Ibis just released the HDR in 26.

29 is lame. They turn all tight singletrack into doubletrack...BOOO!

Ibis just released the HDR IN 26" and 27.5"
    Mojo HDR 650b | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US

Have you ridden any new school 29ers, i.e. Sb95, Enduro29, Satori or Prime?

I'll guess not...
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member

I happily own a 26" bike, but lets check back with you in a year.

(My 29er rips too.)

Specialized will follow suit (the market) eventually.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Tapped out. With the Czar and the new Flux 275 this year we will not be doing any more introductions in 2013. Wish I could, I love new toys! 26" will never die, but it will never be a top seller again. It is off to the land of the jump and play bikes I think. My son has a Snafu 26 dirt jumper.... my daughter rides a small Highline on resort, both with 26 and that is about the extent of that wheel. There is little a 26 can do that a 27.5 can't do better for a mountain biker riding around the trails. Of course the downhillers will have to choose between 26 and 27.5 for different courses, but if you aint' fast enough to be sponsored you are slow enough (downhilling) to benefit from the 27.5 DH bikes that are no doubt right around the corner. Of course a pro will have to win on one in order for the masses to think they are cool enough. Just like roadies, all a company has to do is buy a winner and the customers will line up.

mtbr member
    Sounds to me like "sell your Spot and get a Burner" period... LOL :-D
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

not so super...

Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Tapped out. With the Czar and the new Flux 275 this year we will not be doing any more introductions in 2013. Wish I could, I love new toys! 26" will never die, but it will never be a top seller again. It is off to the land of the jump and play bikes I think. My son has a Snafu 26 dirt jumper.... my daughter rides a small Highline on resort, both with 26 and that is about the extent of that wheel. There is little a 26 can do that a 27.5 can't do better for a mountain biker riding around the trails. Of course the downhillers will have to choose between 26 and 27.5 for different courses, but if you aint' fast enough to be sponsored you are slow enough (downhilling) to benefit from the 27.5 DH bikes that are no doubt right around the corner. Of course a pro will have to win on one in order for the masses to think they are cool enough. Just like roadies, all a company has to do is buy a winner and the customers will line up.
    So.....5 Spot will go to 275 or go away with a new 275 RFX replacement?
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    A new spot to be the new rfx. Wheel size and material to be determined? Next year maybe? I like my spot didn't really care for 29rs I have rode. I'd like to give a burner a shot though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    SSinGa the Burner IS the new 5 Spot. Never saw that coming or we woulda changed the wheels and not the name, thought they would both have a following. Nope, the mass forumotional hysteria and press push killed the 26. And why not? After one has ridden a new Flux the old one feels seriously lacking, there really is no comparison. A little bigger wheel has a really big impact on rolling, duh. But one does not have to go 29 and the total personality change of that to get some of the benefits. One thing that a 275 has over 29 is that one can really 'over tire' it and the impact is nowhere near the perceptible change of overtiring a 29, i.e. a 150 gram heavier tire is hardly notable on a 26, you can feel it on a 27.5 and on 29 the first few miles are like F(*$&*# this thing is a pig. 27.5 is the new black.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sounds like a 27.5 DHR might be the next Turner project?

mtbr member
    the Burner IS the new 5 Spot....27.5 is the new black.
    Hate to see the 5Spot go, I LOVE mine!! But all things change. Never ridden the 27.5 format, but it looks like I will plenty of opportunity once my Spot gives up the ghost. When that day comes I will be looking forward to throwing a leg over whatever format DT has in his stalls.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hahahahaha, no DHR in carbon OR 275 or the combo of the two planned. Of course if it were me that won the PowerBall lottery, we would have a batch in 18 months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So are any 5 Spots still available? Med. in black?

mtbr member
    Of course if it were me that won the PowerBall lottery, we would have a batch in 18 months.
    And if I hit the Lottery, I'd be ordering up a Burner for Shuttle/Resort type stuff!

I've got to say though, I've yet to ride anything the Czar cannot handle just fine. May have been designed as a race bike, but man, it's an awesome trail bike too!

mtbr member
    Well, based on current resale, yes, it is. We, the bike obsessed public have killed it. The fact that we want 29ers or 27.5ers, and not 26ers is what has killed it, not the bike mfg's. We want the newest, even though what we have is pretty fricken sweet.

26 was fun, but I'm drinking the 29er Kool-aide!! And it's good!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    DHRacer there is only one medium 5 Spot left, and it is blue. Here is the total stock of Spots at this moment.

Sm ORANGE FRONT TRI x 3
    XL ORANGE FRONT TRI x 8

XL BLACK FRONT TRI x 2

Sm BLUE FRONT TRI x 1
    Md BLUE FRONT TRI x 1
    Lrg BLUE FRONT TRI x 12
    XL BLUE FRONT TRI x 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    RFX is the one i'm waitin for. Aluminum is fine wid me with 650 wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well said Yamaman.

If ya'll knew the trail of RFX tears I would never be without a beer. To date there has been 4 swings and misses, my arms are tired from warming up and striking out. The most recent was pulled when it was obvious that 26 was dead. Full freakin project killed and we were holding a sample in hand and realized it would be cheaper?WTF?? to kill it at that point the to produce a 26" wheeled anything. Glad you guys are not holding your breath, I am sure by now everyone would have passed out haha. The GOOD thing? When we finally connect the market will be bigger than ever with the enduro racing buzz getting riders jacked on more travel, bigger bars and fat tires. Nothing soon though...

DT

Kiwi that Flew

I'm predicting the rebirth of the 140mm travel segment (with 27.5/650B wheels of course). Look at what the moustache king himself Steve Smith used to win the Fox DH Air on - a 140mm travel frame with a 160mm fork, 27.5 etc. plus there is a great video of a 140mm Knolly ruling it on pikebike.

Fortunately for TurnerBikes this IS the Burner, and in the future would be well complemented by a Carbon version. This segment along with the Enduro (150-165mm travel), and the Flux 125mm is the perfect hat-trick to cover the 27.5 segment, notwithstanding the DHR being its own segment.

Put a wide bar and short stem on your Burner or 5.Spot TODAY and enjoy the future....

My ride is - 2010 5.Spot, 160mm Lyrik, 800mm 35mm bar, 50mm stem, flows, damp's, 2x10. Kills in the Alps, and is just plain fun on the local flattish technical trails. Had planned to cut the bar down a bit but it seams to work fine at 800, plus my controls are quite inboard so I move my hands out for the downs, and inwards when it gets technical.

My 2cents worth,
    deano
    Last edited by deanopatoni; 08-20-2013 at 08:21 AM.

mtbr member

Curiosity

So I had a chance to ride a Bronson back to back with my Spot today. My friend and I both ride a medium and weight about the same. I built his bike so the fork and shock settings are identical to mine.

My first observation is obvious, the 27.5 is slightly bigger side by side and once you hop on it, you know it's taller than the 26...

My friend borrow me his bike half of the ride today and here's what I observed. On the first ride, I noticed that all the hype about the better roll-ability, nimbleness and flickability of a 26'er, etc. etc are true. I have to agree even though I don't like to. I still don't want to let go of my favorite 26'ers.

After a while on board the Bronson, I almost forgot that I am on a 27.5 as it ride just like a 26 that is slightly better. I could imagine the Burner as a better and improved Spot...

If I need to build a new bike? Will I get a Burner and sell my Spot? I dont know, the slight improvement seems not that justifiable to my preference...
    Will I get the Czar instead? will definitely Yes as quick as my LBS can give me a deal and delivery timeline.

This is just my personal observation as I am still loving my Spot...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    RFX 650 b is d one I'm waitin, aluminum is fine.

Grand Master Jedi

Hey Dave,

Pivot Mach 6.

Get that guy. It looks good but I know you can do better!

<patiently waiting & riding>

%$#$*!
    Dave, build that new enduro bike....carbon, 27.5, 155mm, sub 30lbs....whatever you come up with do yourself a favor and name it the RFX and maybe we'll finally leave you alone! haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    Dave, build that new enduro bike....carbon, 27.5, 155mm, sub 30lbs....whatever you come up with do yourself a favor and name it the RFX and maybe we'll finally leave you alone! haha
    It may not be called as RFX based on DT's pattern of making his lineup.

Most likely a Spot based on my E-speculation but that would happen until the dust of 27.5 settles in. I could be wrong, the proto might even out there by now...Dave is a very secretive in that aspect...

mtbr member
    .... When we finally connect the market will be bigger than ever with the enduro racing buzz getting riders jacked on more travel, bigger bars and fat tires. Nothing soon though...

DT
    ^^^^^^ music to my ears. After a move to BC I'm strapped for cash and now have to wait until 2015 for a new ride so this might all work out in the end, I'm thinking a new Burner or a mystery 650b Enduro type rig .... as long as my trusty '01 RFX holds up until then!

mtbr member
    That would open for another thread called "New release for Turner in 2015" then... :-D

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Turner Bikes will never build a 650b..... We have thought about road bikes, cross bikes and yes even touring bikes with 650b tires. But, until I win the lottery, it is MTB only and there are no tires that measure 650 in diameter for dirt....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    2014 Turner Sultan Carbon Frame - no changes to geometry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck View Post
    I speculate that no one in this thread will guess the next new model.
    Carbon DHR
    Supply Side Jesusnomisist

mtbr member
    DT when you’ve finished cooking meth and filming breaking bad, please can we have another carbon Turner (27.5 150mm)
    Last edited by Jamie_MTB; 09-11-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typo's

Kiwi that Flew

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_MTB View Post
    DT when you finished cooking meth and filing breaking bad, please can we have another 27.5 150mm carbon Turner
    This is funny right here. I was thinking the same thing. Making carbon moulds is an expensive business. D(Heizenburg)T needs the meth millions to fund our need for the RFX!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    See the new BMC Trailfox 29r.. 150mm short stays..

DT would bring me back in the fold with a 140-150mm 29r with short stays

call it the RFX9rE (E for Enduro, or Everyone), and DT if you win powerball make it free..of course I kid, maybe.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    29er and enduro?
    My two most hated words in MTBing.
    Enduro is for lazy people who used to XC or Downhill.
    Just make the damn RFX in aluminum with 26 wheels and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_MTB View Post
    DT when you’ve finished cooking meth and filming breaking bad, please can we have another carbon Turner (27.5 150mm)
    Make it 120. My wife is dying for that bike. Those teeny-tiny wheels suit her diminutive size!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yes, but make sure to pay the bankruptcy lawyers ahead of time!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Bwahaahaa, 26" what?! are you insane? is there not enough of that class of bike all over the used market in alloy and carbon and new ones gathering dust on dealer walls at prices barely above cost.
    Maybe a few years from now someone will figure out what niche 26 is undisputedly superior at, dust off some tools and make a couple, but like the 2 stroke motorcycle, fun to ride but still runnd over by the 4 strokes most of the public wants.

Deano is right on, the cost of carbon molds are buckling. If I were doing 50mil a year I would be shitting out carbon/alloy twins twice a year, but being a micro company it is one step in front of the other.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ill give u 50mil rupes for a carbon 140-150mm 29r..

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    But it has to be ready for Interbike DD in 5 days!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well... would a 27.5 Aluminum RFX be current enough?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Is it possible to build a bike with replaceable dropout (example Banshee Rune V2) so people can run either a 26 or 27.5 depending on what they like? Does this approach compromise geometry or any other important factors? Would this not then cover both the 26 hold outs and the 27.5 converted crowd?

I'm really enjoying my Rune (26), but would swap it in a second for something with Turner and RFX on the side. Yes I know the 5 spot is the new RFX and is amazing, but the 20mm and much more aggressive geometry is very noticeable where I ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    650b are nice, but 26 are still alive, neither are good for RFX, but aluminum, is the perfect.

mtbr member
    29er and enduro?
    I thought it was just what we're calling mountain biking these days.

Elitest thrill junkie
    29er and enduro?
    I remember when I used to be slow too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Easy on the full frontal attack my man. My aluminum 5 spot is still at the front of the riding group all on carbon 29ers and 27.5's
    Here in New England the trails are sooo tight and twisted with trees lining the edges of the tracks. I find it hard to believe that a heavier bike with a wider turning radius is going to make me faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    How about making a limited edition run of RFX or 160mm travel frame in aluminum? Everyone who wants one could put the money down in advance, and frames could be made to cover those orders. It could be a great indicator of how many people really want a longer travel Turner. Even make it in 27.5 if that's where bikes are going.

I for one would happily put down the money in advance for a limited run RFX or something with a little more travel than the Burner or 5 Spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedster759 View Post
    How about making a limited edition run of RFX or 160mm travel frame in aluminum? Everyone who wants one could put the money down in advance, and frames could be made to cover those orders. It could be a great indicator of how many people really want a longer travel Turner. Even make it in 27.5 if that's where bikes are going.

I for one would happily put down the money in advance for a limited run RFX or something with a little more travel than the Burner or 5 Spot.
    If this were an option, count me in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It looks like many are wanting a carbon version of the Burner. I'll say again, that would bring me back in heartbeat. And I've owned 6 Turners over the years since 1998. Yes 6!

140mm travel
    Less than 17" chainstays
    66 HA
    13.6"-ish BB height
    Same as current sizing
    Weight about 4.5-5lbs
    Tapered headtube. I still dont get this odd 44mm size.

This would be THEE ticket!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan View Post
    If this were an option, count me in.
    If this were an option,
    Then I'll have a headache ;-)

mtbr member
    Dear Turner Santa,

Please leave a 650B RFX with 155mm and a 66deg HA under the tree this Christmas. My DHR needs another Turner to hang out with. Remember that I've been really good this year.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    It looks like many are wanting a carbon version of the Burner. I'll say again, that would bring me back in heartbeat. And I've owned 6 Turners over the years since 1998. Yes 6!

140mm travel
    Less than 17" chainstays
    66 HA
    13.6"-ish BB height
    Same as current sizing
    Weight about 4.5-5lbs
    Tapered headtube. I still dont get this odd 44mm size.

This would be THEE ticket!
    and cable routing for a reverb stealth please.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I totally prefer the straight 44mm headtube vs. the tapered conehead look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I totally prefer the straight 44mm headtube vs. the tapered conehead look.
    +1.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    not really related to bike models ...

maybe this is silly talk, but a few more Turner ads in mags of people shredding on Turners. er just a tad bit more of a presence in the bike community? I'm guessing its not really their style though??

Turner Dirt Jumper?

mtbr member

Flux 27.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drtdiva View Post

Flux 27.5
    Nice vid. I was so bummed that I forgot to look for the Flux at the Enve tent. So stoked on the Czar after dropping it off and anxious to go check out some other bikes that I totally forgot to ask/look for it. Did you have one there?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yea I like dat RFX 650b or 26 is perfect ,either size wheel is nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yap 26 RFX is a good call. Still waitin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    As for me RFX 26 is fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigbalot View Post
    Yap 26 RFX is a good call. Still waitin.
    You are a very patient one

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have to be brader to have the best bike. Rfx

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jigbalot View Post
    Yea I like dat RFX 650b or 26 is perfect ,either size wheel is nice.
    Just go pick up one of the new to slightly used 6-ish travel bikes available in the Knolly forum. The market is going to be flooded if you want a nice 6" 26er bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Count me in too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Just go pick up one of the new to slightly used 6-ish travel bikes available in the Knolly forum. The market is going to be flooded if you want a nice 6" 26er bike.
    I am Impatient Man and I have a Chili ;-)
    Last edited by Bullit_cn; 09-22-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    hahaha, spelling corrected ;-)

Mt Wilson Motoboy
    Bring on the Carbon Flux Dave! Make my dreambike. I'm not down w/ the 29 and that Carbon Flux would fly the money out of my pocket!
    "My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...

mtbr member
    David Turner @ Interbike talking with MTBR about the Turner line-up.

Turner Interbike 2013 | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Really interesting thread....
    Even with DT's input no-one is really reading anyone else's thought's and ideas.
    Too much emphasis on what everyone thinks is their perfect machine/ride.
    If you read through it all and put a machine together based on the input just in this thread it would be an awful machine.
    Listen to what Dave has stated, let the market play out, trends burn out, see what riders actually want.
    Some have said they would love to see a 650b 5 spot.....well, what's the Burner?
    Carbon/Alloy mix - does this work? Is it practical?
    29er? 27.5?
    What works here what works there?

The fastest growing global market in MTB (not the biggest) is Enduro.
    It's proving that 27.5/650b is the focus here and where we are seeing a crazy amount of bikes/frames being produced/pushed without as much as 6 months RnD from presses and moulds owned and designed by others. The next two years will see some success and lots of fails from big and small brands alike and this is where Turner will triumph.

We ride Turners because they work, they are dependable, practical, fun and stunning to look at.
    If you want "the new" there is plenty to go at........but if you want the best simply wait it out.......
    What I would like to see......? Well I'm still rocking my 26" 5spot and will continue to do so, it rocks. But when the Burner it's final incarnation appears in Carbon, whether it's 140mm or 150mm travel whether it's 27.5/650b or something else, whether it's geometry is radical or unchanged this will be the bike that represents where my riding is at.......and at the end of the day it will be the rider that always needs to improve and not so much the bike.

Closing shot - if you want something carbon and in any wheel size and you want it now......well, Santa Cruz seem to have that covered, just wonder how many will still be riding one in 5 years time
    God....whatever i feel like doing!!!

mtbr member
    well-said rick rocket....your piece sums it all...

mtbr member
    The hottest bike for 2014 is the Pivot Mach 6. Carbon, 650b, 155mm, 66 HA, & low BB.

A Turner rendition would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank N. Byke View Post
    Clearance, Clarence?
    Tires? Anything out there, I think.

There's no such thing as a 650b fatbike, right?

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    The hottest bike for 2014 is the Pivot Mach 6. Carbon, 650b, 155mm, 66 HA, & low BB.

A Turner rendition would be perfect.
    Ditto.

I know this is what we are all asking for, but would it ride as good as my Spot with a 160mm fork that I love or will it just be too much bike?

Granted that it will undoubtedly be lighter than my current bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast