Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Pack P0rn

mtbr member

New Pack P0rn

Finally replaced my long lost (sold it to a friend last year) RFX, Just built her up last week! Already torture tested on a 26 mile, lava & root infested trail behind Mount Bachelor, all I can say is this bike is FUN to ride!!! I'm not really a big fan of Fox forks, but the new 36 Van RC2 is pure sex on the trail, feels as good as any Z1 I have ever had or ridden, even better! The biggest plus for me concerning this fork are the adjustments, which I generally hate having too many to mess with, especially when the adjustments don't do much, but having read the instructions, & dialing in the fork, it actually works awsome! Even the minor tweaks are felt. Haven't hit any big drops yet, but jumping through high speed rock gardens on this sled feels pretty close to the DH bike as far as performance & tracking.
    One thing that does need too much attention is the DHX air, not impressive, I have tried almost everything to get this shock not to blow through it's travel, still testing...thankfully I got the coil version as well, which works awsome ; )

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

aka baycat
    damn sexy! how are you liking the SRAM and Juicy componentry (unlees my eyes aren't seeing it correctly)?

on a routine expedition
    Nice!

Is that two DHRs and a Spot in the background?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    One thing that does need too much attention is the DHX air, not impressive, I have tried almost everything to get this shock not to blow through it's travel, still testing...
    Great looking Pack! There are several Homers running the DHX Air on their Packs who absolutely swear by them and prefer them to the DHX Coil. I rode tscheezy's for a bit and immediately ordered one up from Larry @ Mnt. High. Perform a couple of searches to find the threads, some fairly recent, on the Turner board dealing with setup and you might find what you need to dial it in. Congrats on the new ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    damn sexy! how are you liking the SRAM and Juicy componentry (unlees my eyes aren't seeing it correctly)?
    SRAM is where it's at, never go back to Shimano again! Funny, first time I tried the triggers, took all of 15 minutes to get used to & love them, & I've been on Shimano since day one, now if I get on Shimano equipped bike, the shifting just does not feel natural to me.

And the Juicy 7's are awsome, especially with the 185 (7") rotors ; ) !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrack
    Nice!

Is that two DHRs and a Spot in the background?
    Yep, Busted ; )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Great looking Pack! There are several Homers running the DHX Air on their Packs who absolutely swear by them and prefer them to the DHX Coil. I rode tscheezy's for a bit and immediately ordered one up from Larry @ Mnt. High. Perform a couple of searches to find the threads, some fairly recent, on the Turner board dealing with setup and you might find what you need to dial it in. Congrats on the new ride.
    Thanks for the tip on the air, I like the shock when climbing & flowing turns & such, but it seams to get weak half way through the travel??

I'll check out some of the posts.

BTW, I weight 195-205 with gear & ride aggressively, for anyone who has a suggestion (I would send it to Darren @ PUSH, but he want's nothing to do with it ; )

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Stu! how you two doing up there? Garage looks good - filled with fine bikes (and hows the rest of the former socal crew?)

Bike looks tasty, I have a new 5 Spot that should be built in a week or two (with DHX air, El Caminos, SRAM), looking forward to it....

mtbr member
    May 2004

The Darren

(I would send it to Darren @ PUSH, but he want's nothing to do with it ; )
    Dude, it's all about The Darren. Send it to The Darren, then have El Jefe talk to The Darren, and that should take care of it. Although The Darren is all mighty, when El Jefe speaks, The Darren listens.

Nice bike, BTW. ;-)

Negative Rep Points!!!!

F'n Roadie!

[SIZE=3]You F'n closet roadie![/SIZE]

BeefStu, I rode Mt. Ashland 2 weeks ago. It cooked my brain!

Oh Yeah....nice pack!
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

not so super...
    Thanks for the tip on the air, I like the shock when climbing & flowing turns & such, but it seams to get weak half way through the travel??

I'll check out some of the posts.

BTW, I weight 195-205 with gear & ride aggressively, for anyone who has a suggestion (I would send it to Darren @ PUSH, but he want's nothing to do with it ; )
    Try turning the BO adj knob full in and add about 160psi. Use 225psi in the main to start and go up from there. I'm 215lbs and run mine at 270psi - it feels just like the coil it replaced.
    Nothing to see here.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Try turning the BO adj knob full in and add about 160psi. Use 225psi in the main to start and go up from there. I'm 215lbs and run mine at 270psi - it feels just like the coil it replaced.
    Doesn't it feel extremely harsh with that much boost pressure? I can't imagine how people are riding it like that. Feels like crap when you go through rough stuff with that much boost, at least to me.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrahMa
    Dude, it's all about The Darren. Send it to The Darren, then have El Jefe talk to The Darren, and that should take care of it. Although The Darren is all mighty, when El Jefe speaks, The Darren listens.

Nice bike, BTW. ;-)
    C'mon now, first it was Santa Claus, then the Easter Bunny, now the Darren, all three are just figments of the imagination, yet all three still, somehow, deliver cool stuff??.

Yeah, bike is nice, but then again, you know this (the trusty old RFX is still in operation, yes??)

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Doesn't it feel extremely harsh with that much boost pressure? .
    Not with my fat Arse at the controls - feels like buttah!
    Nothing to see here.

Just another FOC'er
    Nice looking build Stu! I just built up a medium Pack myself last week that's one burly little beast weighing in at 39.6 lbs with a DH wheelset. Part of the high weight comes from the Z150 fork, but you ran one on your RFX and totally ripped with that setup.

The Pack handles soooo nice, and yeah, it's one fun bike!

~danno

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    [SIZE=3]You F'n closet roadie![/SIZE]

BeefStu, I rode Mt. Ashland 2 weeks ago. It cooked my brain!

Oh Yeah....nice pack!
    Ha ha!! Nice to see ya made it up here before the cold stuff hit (it was 32 outside this morning!) Haven't made it to Ashland yet, but hopefully headed out to Oakridge this weekend.

Roadie?? (Busted...again; )

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Doesn't it feel extremely harsh with that much boost pressure? I can't imagine how people are riding it like that. Feels like crap when you go through rough stuff with that much boost, at least to me.
    Nope; I run high boost as well. It doesn't make the ride harsh at all for me. The only time my dhx-a approached anything resembling harsh was with too much psi in the spring chamber.
    Inkpad, sweeeeeet lookin pack. Give your shock a chance; try SSINGA's suggested starting point and fiddle from there. I have got to get me a new drivetrain, yours looks fine!
    What have you got for wheels?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Already torture tested on a 26 mile, lava & root infested trail behind Mount Bachelor, !
    Newberry Crater?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Nope; I run high boost as well. It doesn't make the ride harsh at all for me. The only time my dhx-a approached anything resembling harsh was with too much psi in the spring chamber.
    Inkpad, sweeeeeet lookin pack. Give your shock a chance; try SSINGA's suggested starting point and fiddle from there. I have got to get me a new drivetrain, yours looks fine!
    What have you got for wheels?
    I will definetly try SSINGA's suggestion, I am running 240 in the main & 125 in the Boost with 1 click as of now.

The wheels are Mavic 721's on Hadley hubs, but I am swapping out the rims for either the 819 or the new, 06 823' tubeless rims

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Newberry Crater?
    Nope, Edison Lava, with Knowl Butte thrown in for extra credit ; )

One of the only trails I have ridden here in Bend where the downhill portion could be used as a DH race, let-er rip!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    Hey Stu! how you two doing up there? Garage looks good - filled with fine bikes (and hows the rest of the former socal crew?)

Bike looks tasty, I have a new 5 Spot that should be built in a week or two (with DHX air, El Caminos, SRAM), looking forward to it....
    Love it up here, riding is incredible! Just starting to get cold, winter is coming (27 last night, 45 now)!

Everyone is doing well out here, even the Sven, in PT, getting stronger every day!

Of course the gal is doing well, hasn't had to work, just ride & decorate the pad ; )

A couple pics of the trail we rode last Sat, 11 mile out, 11 back, plus extra credit off shoots & stuff to play on!

mtbr member

Lol

The Darren......One of the funniest forum threads ever.....gotta love Socal MTB. I alomost miss the OC just thinking about it.....wait, no I don't. Colorado Baby!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Yep, still in action.

C'mon now, first it was Santa Claus, then the Easter Bunny, now the Darren, all three are just figments of the imagination, yet all three still, somehow, deliver cool stuff??.

Yeah, bike is nice, but then again, you know this (the trusty old RFX is still in operation, yes??)
    The trusty old RFX got a little upgrade in the way of a 6" AM1 up front, so it is my 6x6 trail bike, much like what you've got there, 'cept for I'm still running the good old Romic, just to be old school. ;-)

Here's a crappy photo of the latest iteration.

Come to think of it, I've got a lot of old school stuff on this '00 relic. '98 XT cranks (square taper, gasp!), 8spd all around, not to mention my trusty kevlar Serfas ARC saddle. That's one of Dusty's personal faves.

Bodhisattva
    like the shock when climbing & flowing turns & such, but it seams to get weak half way through the travel?
    Yup. I agree. My thoughts exactly.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND
    The Darren......One of the funniest forum threads ever.....gotta love Socal MTB. I alomost miss the OC just thinking about it.....wait, no I don't. Colorado Baby!!!!!
    The Darren.. Myth? Or reality?

Just like Charlie of Charlie's Angels, there, but not really there, only no good looking chicks, just shock shafts & squirting lube ; )

Yeah, miss the OC as well....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast