mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New Member - First post

Have got an 03 5Spot with Romic shock. I'm based in the Lake District so the riding's rocky. Have been thinking about swapping to air shock (RP3 or DHX).Anyone any experience of doing this? If so, is it a straightforward swap, or are there any implications for the rockers. And thoughts on trade off betwen weight loss and coil performance would be appreciated (leaving aside recent Fox seal reliability issues). Lastly, anyone got a titanium coil for a Romic - do they exist and what's the weight saving over steel.
    Or should I just leave well enough alone!

Lay off the Levers
    Welcome aboard!

There's tons of posts on just what you're asking about. Use the Advanced Search near the top for details.

Short answer: Depending on your weight I personally found the Romic to be plusher and better in the rocks than the RP3. The RP3 is MUCH lighter and much more responsive than the Romic but it also has less small bump compliance IMO.

The '03 Rockers are slightly shorter than the later versions. This makes it somewhat difficult to get full travel on the RP3 for some people. it may ride ever so slightly firmer w/t RP3 than the 5.3 rockers as well. (maybe).

You will also have to run the RP3 either backwards or upside down in order to prevent the air valve from striking the side of the '03 rocker plate. This is fine. Many people do this. (myself included).

Ti springs for the Romics can be tough to find. They're way expensive and really don't save all that much weight compared to a steel spring (IMO) Unless you're using a 800# spring I'd say pass.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Spyke,

You can have a go on mine if you want, where in the Lakes are you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Prof,
    near Penrith
    Thanks for the offer. You got an RP3 or DHX?
    Bikezilla -thanks for reply. Weight is 160 pounds plus kit etc. I'll attempt an advanced search!

mtbr member
    RP3 (Pushed) and if you are on a large you can try the DHX C if you want I am in Carlisle btw.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Prof
    yep - on a large
    Usually ride Sundays (of course) - would appreciate the chance to try out both. Perhaps could sort out try out in next couple of weeks if your around. Need to sign off as SO is calling! will check out reply tomorrow
    Cheers