Thread: New Hoops

t66
    mtbr member

New Hoops

Planning on building up a set of trail wheels. Considering DT 5.1 but just came accross a rim by Arrow the XCL is there XC All mountain offering. Anyone had any experience with them? http://www.arrowracing.com/home.html

mtbr member
    No experience with Arrow rims, but I'd stay away from the DT rim offerings. The sidewalls on both my 5.1's and 6.1's have dented and flat spotted too easily. When I mentioned this to the guys at Go-Ride they said DT was aware of the problem and was going to update their alloy compound for '07.

not so super...
    No problems w/ the 5.1 here.

you need some I9's.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 11-19-2006 at 07:38 PM.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Good luck here with two sets of 5.1s for over a year, and about 6 months, respectively. A friend has the Arrow rims, and has had no trouble with them either. Don't think you'll have a problem whichever way you go on this choice.

In the "no free lunch" category, if DT increases the alloy content of their rims to resist dings (caused primarily by not running enough air pressure), I worry that stress cracking will happen instead. I experienced this ages ago when Mavic changed from soft-ish 217s to newer, harder (MAXTAL!) alloy in their 517s. I'd never had a lick of trouble with a 217, but the 517s cracked around the eyelets and once right down the center of the rim.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ill stand beside ya on that kosmo. loved my 217's despite the occasional pin clink issue. i thrashed those hoops and loved the fact they were tougher than i was. the maxtal was not my pal nor to a large percentage of my custys. many of us started runnin bonty's, even when we had to get em from other shops.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    In the "no free lunch" category, if DT increases the alloy content of their rims to resist dings (caused primarily by not running enough air pressure)...
    What would you consider not enough pressure? I typically run 40 front and 45 rear. Regardless, I don't blame dented sidewalls on the rim or the pressures I run, on the contrary I attribute it to my lack of finesse, poor line choice, and the extremely rocky terrain we typically ride, but where other rims (i.e. Mavics, Syncros, Sun) contain the damage within the side wall with minimal effect on spoke tension the DT's mushroom and deform deep into the cross section of the rim creating flat spots making it difficult to salvage the rim.

im about to say some dirty words here so ask the kids to leave the room. i keep hearin the big earl and king earl wheelsets from bontrager are quite bulletproof. the king earls are also supposed to be in the pretty fockin lite catagory. i was gonna try a set but left my oppertunity behind before i could act on a deal.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    im about to say some dirty words here so ask the kids to leave the room. i keep hearin the big earl and king earl wheelsets from bontrager are quite bulletproof. the king earls are also supposed to be in the pretty fockin lite catagory. i was gonna try a set but left my oppertunity behind before i could act on a deal.
    Un-MTB related, but I have Bonty's on my road bike, and they are still going strong after 5,000+ miles. I had one spoke break cornering (scared the daylights outta me) and aside from opening up my brake to get home -50 miles- have had no problems. I replaced the spoke, retensioned it, and the wheel came back to true with very little tweaking.

Oh, yeah, I'm 230ish lbs in road gear. I may not like the CS, but the durability is more than I expected from the race lites.

FWIW...

got a set of bonty race wheels on my '88 merckx which i really only ride on ragbrai pullin a bob trailer the last 2 years. 7 days, 500+ miles, half drunk most days, not very kind to the equipment, zero issues. whoda thunk a low spoke count wheel could handle it?

hicup! beeeelch!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    What would you consider not enough pressure? I typically run 40 front and 45 rear. Regardless, I don't blame dented sidewalls on the rim or the pressures I run, on the contrary I attribute it to my lack of finesse, poor line choice, and the extremely rocky terrain we typically ride, but where other rims (i.e. Mavics, Syncros, Sun) contain the damage within the side wall with minimal effect on spoke tension the DT's mushroom and deform deep into the cross section of the rim creating flat spots making it difficult to salvage the rim.
    Having ridden with you, I would blame your dings on the fact that you go about twice as big as my courage and skill allows me to go! When choosing my new hoops, it came down to the Syncros DS28 or the DT 5.1. I went with the DTs at Larry Mettler's recommendation, and haven't had any troubles, yet. It will be interesting to see if the 5.2 is just an alloy change, or if they change the cross-section of the rim to address the problem you (and others) have described. As far as pressure goes, it's hard to say what is enough, since sidewall stiffness plays a big part. I get the same feel from a Panny Fire FR 2.4 at 30 psi as I do with a Kenda Nev 2.35 or Maxxis Advantage Pro 2.4 at about 38 psi.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.