Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New to the forum, & Turner, a few questions if you don't mind.

Hi all, I bought a new, old stock, Turner Burner this week & would like to ask your advice on set up please as I can't find anything on the Burner on Turners site.

Firstly any idea of the bottom bracket size for middleburn rs7 square tapper cranks, 113mm?

Secondly a starting point for shock pressure on a float r assuming I'm 13stone in kit, or should I start at 15% sag and see how it goes?

Also how do I tell how old the frame is? the shop said it was a 2007, but I'm sure they stopped production before then, the frame number starts 04, is that a giveaway?

I'm sure I'll think of loads more to pester your good selves with, but I would be grateful for advice on the above. Indeed if you think I need to know anything else then feel free to chip in.
    Many thanks in advance.
    2U2R

PMW
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Burner Questions

2, I do not know the answer to your setup questions, but the final generation Burners were made from 2002-2004, so your right, it's a an 04 and the shop didn't know what they were talking about or were being deceitful. You should love the Burner, I still have have a 04 closeout Supergo Burner and it's basically a beefier version (gusseted head tube) of the Horst/TNT flux 2005-2008 with a little less travel 3.6 inches compared to 4. Enjoy the bike.

PMW

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for that, I thought it would be an 04, quite happy though as it was cheap
    I also like the fact its quite burly, the local riding only requires a hardtail, its my body that demands a FS. I have come from more or less a burner copy, the Azonic propulsion, which I always felt was a little small for me (medium Vs the large Burner). I was quite taken aback that the turner weighs a bit more (6&1/4lbs Vs 6lbs) but the bike is not being built light at about 27lbs.
    I hope to get out on it the weekend, but I'm sure I'll love it, its going to be a long relationship I hope.
    Thanks again.

Bite Me.
    BB width is 73mm, spindle is 113mm. Just set your sag on the rear shock (25%) and ride it - tune from there. Finally, you can get 4" out of the Burner with XR rockers (hard to find) or a 1.75" stroke shock. The bike rides great stock, but even better with the rocker upgrade. You may also find that a 115 or 120mm fork feels pretty nice on there too. Welcome to the club - pics are mandatory you know when the build gets going. Check out the link to the FAQ section on Burners all your questions will be answered there.

Burner Setups (Data Base)
    Last edited by cutthroat; 01-08-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'll get pics up soon, needs a few bits before I can ride it, no point putting up pics of a half finished bike

Anyone know how I can find the thread which outlines the drilling instructions for a hydraulic brake line as per Took a sip of vintage koolaid ?

mtbr member

Great frame!

I ride an 04 burner myself and dont seem the need to upgrade (even w/ constant upgraditis syndrome). I love the frame (large blue w float r) because it is beefier like the spot which can handle burly singletrack and anyother terrain u throw at it. Ive been tryin to geet my hands on the rockers also, but they are prized. Get u an adjustable fork (100-130) and set the fork at 115mm and let er eat! Here's some pics of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Large member
    Welcome 2U - sounds like you are a fellow Brit?

Burner is a great bike, very solid and you'll benefit from the best customer service around if you ever need it.

Post up some pics when you can

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by prooperator
    I ride an 04 burner myself and dont seem the need to upgrade (even w/ constant upgraditis syndrome). I love the frame (large blue w float r) because it is beefier like the spot which can handle burly singletrack and anyother terrain u throw at it. Ive been tryin to geet my hands on the rockers also, but they are prized. Get u an adjustable fork (100-130) and set the fork at 115mm and let er eat! .
    Just what I wanted to hear, although I'll try it with the 04 mazocchi 105mm coil marathons I already have, I was planning on putting my reba WC's on, but the steerer is to short
    Bring on the weekend.

Tidybeard, I am a fellow Brit & I'll get a couple of pics up ASAP.
    Cheers.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by 2unfit2ride
    I'll get pics up soon, needs a few bits before I can ride it, no point putting up pics of a half finished bike
    You are new here, aren't you? You can post pictures of the bolts and we would drool all over them.

Anyone know how I can find the thread which outlines the drilling instructions for a hydraulic brake line as per Took a sip of vintage koolaid ?
    Here's the link to the drilling instructions:
    (MkIII) Drilling Out Cable Stops...

Depending on the location of the cable stops, you may or may not need a flex shaft for your rotary tool.

Enjoy your new old bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    tburger, yup I new

Thanks for the link, the thread I posted shows the middle guide drilled, I have routed the cables differently so the brake hose is on the left hand side (as you sit on the bike), is this wrong? I can't see any set up guide for the Burner, although that probably because I'm being dense, I don't want to get this one wrong, I guess there is no second chance

Any way I'll have a quick read before I retire for the evening.
    Thanks.

Shot Down in Flames...
    I really liked the 105 Marathon when I had an '04 Burner. It was nicely balanced with the XR rockers.

D.

~~~
    tburger, yup I new

Thanks for the link, the thread I posted shows the middle guide drilled, I have routed the cables differently so the brake hose is on the left hand side (as you sit on the bike), is this wrong? I can't see any set up guide for the Burner, although that probably because I'm being dense, I don't want to get this one wrong, I guess there is no second chance

Any way I'll have a quick read before I retire for the evening.
    Thanks.
    I'm familiar with that thread... it's my bike!
    I thought about that routing, too, and I don't think there's any right or wrong whether the rear brake runs along the middle or left line. I chose to run the brake in the middle for two reasons. 1) It just looks more balanced. 2) Since the rear mech cable has to run from the left side back to the drive side, it made more sense to have the cable on the left and the brake line in the center along the top tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks tburger, nice bike, & some loverly bikes above, I can't wait to finish mine.
    Cheers.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    welcome to the big show! its a cool place for fun and info as yer seein.

as far as the routing, im a big fan of smooth curves to shifter lines whenever possible. right shifter to left side, left to right, hydro line to center since fluid doesnt bind or drag when bent.

as youve been told, yer gonna dig the burner. my '96 is still goin strong with regular use up till '03 when it got parked for the most part. ive rebuilt it and ridden it from time to time since then but its once again missin a few bits now. and no, ya cant have my xr's.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Evening all (or is that afternoon?) the rest of the bits turned up today so I have just finished putting her together, here's just a couple of quick pics as promised, the gallery (incase the pictures vanish) can be found at http://gallery41647.fotopic.net/c651582.html, but you'll have to wade though the dross to find the cream

Here you go

Oh, the thing about the cable routing had me baffled for a while, then I realised us Brits do it back to front, so the brake cable will run down the left side, not drilled it yet as I haven't ridden it, but it will get done.
    Talking of riding my new stead, the helicopter tape I ordered hasn't arrived, so unless it turns up tomorrow morning the inaugural ride may be postponed

Cheers for all your kind advice & comments above.

jrm
    mtbr member

Those are 650b convertible

just saying
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Large member
    Nice pics and very nice bike 2U . I think what you meant was we Brits put our brake levers on the correct side?

Is that a Recaro office chair?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Erm, jrm, excuse me if this sounds rude, but WTF did you just say?

Lay off the Levers

Recaro R us?

Dude that's the COOLEST baby seat I've ever seen.

* edit: Crap, Tidyshag beat me to it!

Kickarse and congrats on the NOS scooter, and welcome aboard!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Bite Me.
    I had no idea Recaro made such comfy looking kids' bike seats

If you don't want to dremel out the stops, I have used the Jagwire inserts on my other bikes and they work quite well
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    Nice pics and very nice bike 2U . I think what you meant was we Brits put our brake levers on the correct side?

Is that a Recaro office chair?

Lol, erm, this is an American site right?, best not go there

Oh & its a Recaro seat ripped out of a 911 RS bolted to a cheap office chair base, I don't know if that make it a Recaro office chair though

Large member
    Lol, erm, this is an American site right?, best not go there

Oh & its a Recaro seat ripped out of a 911 RS bolted to a cheap office chair base, I don't know if that make it a Recaro office chair though
    Excellent. FrankenRecaro! Nice work Does the 911 owner know you took it or are you from Liverpool?

Yes, it's an American site, but they like a bit of rough and tumble. I'm trying to educate them about brake levers and forks, but they're a bit slow on the uptake. Perhaps you can help?
    Last edited by Tidybeard; 01-09-2009 at 01:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Cutthroat, cheers, your links & advice have been a great help, although I'm already using the above for the time being.
    Thanks all, its been fun, but I'm off to watch a film now, catch you all tomorrow.
    Cheers.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    Yes, it's an American site, but they like a bit of rough and tumble. I'm trying to educate them about brake levers and forks, but they're a bit slow on the uptake. Perhaps you can help?
    FYI - a bike has a fork not "forks", Zilla is in the hospital, not "in hospital", and My friend is going to the University, not "to University.",

Large member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    FYI - a bike has a fork not "forks", Zilla is in the hospital, not "in hospital", and My friend is going to the University, not "to University.",
    See what I mean 2U? There is much work to be done here . And Cutthroat is in his eighties, so there's not much time

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast