mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Which new fork for an old 5 Spot ?

It's time for a new fork for my 5 Spot.
    Last few months I've been running a 2005 Zoke AM 1 SL set on 130 mm. Although set on 130 it still is a tall fork. Lately it's been loosing air and keeps bouncing back to 150mm.
    I'm tired of fixing it and guess it's time for a new fork.
    Any good, not too expensive ideas ? I want to maintain the original frame geometry (it's a 2005 5 Spot) and because I like it so much I also dont want to stress the frame with an over-agressive fork.
    Thanks
    PM

mtbr member
    if you don't need a thru axle and want to maintain geometry get a revelation.

mtbr member
    Revelation if you want a standard QR, Pike if you are going the 20mmT/A route are the most common fav's for the spots.

Also check out the 5-spot setup thread for other ideas?

Spot Setups (Data Base)

... I guess you won't be
    I'd agree with the QR compat. Revelation..........but, you can still buy 2004 Marzocchi Z1Fr's [130mm coil spring] for super cheap.........its still an incredible fork to this day, and now that the dust has settled, it's a great choice for a spot.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb
    I'd agree with the QR compat. Revelation..........but, you can still buy 2004 Marzocchi Z1Fr's [130mm coil spring] for super cheap.........its still an incredible fork to this day, and now that the dust has settled, it's a great choice for a spot.
    I am sure we could go round in circles but i think the 03/04 Z1 FR is too tall for steep climbing and slackens the bike too much for fast twisty singletrack. OP wants to keep the intended geometry of the Spot - that would be the Revelation. I went from a Z1FR to Rev on an 05 Spot and suddenly I cleaned steep techy climbs much more easily and didn't feel like I was running out of trail on the fast twisty stuff. I think the ultimate set up would be to buy some 5.5 rockers and get a Pike (which i now have on an 06 Spot) but that is expensive if the OP needs a new hub to get the Pike..

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I got a Hope Bulb front hub, which means I can use standard or 20 mm axles.
    How are the Fox Floats? Too tall these days with 140 mm ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    I got a Hope Bulb front hub, which means I can use standard or 20 mm axles.
    How are the Fox Floats? Too tall these days with 140 mm ?
    My wife has a Fox Float on her Blur LT and she loves the fork. It's 511mm a2c, just like a Pike. The main differences are QR vs. TA and the tuneability of the Pike with the negative air chamber.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    If you have a Bulb then get a Pike Dual Air U-Turn and the Bulb 20mm adaptors and you will have the best front end possible.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    If you have a Bulb then get a Pike Dual Air U-Turn and the Bulb 20mm adaptors and you will have the best front end possible.

Got the adaptors. Will check out Pike Dual Air. Only thing is, I'll have to give up the pimped blue Hope QR ...

mtbr member
    Don't be such a mincer on the Hope QR!!! The Maxle on the Pike is fantastic. I think you'll love the Pike - you could get the u-turn which is a on the fly travel ruducer/adjuster and use it for the steeper climbs. Also, you may want to look into 5.5 or push rockers. I know someone selling Push rockers who doesn't use this board. You can PM me if you like and I'll give mtbr $2.00 if you buy them.

... I guess you won't be
    I am sure we could go round in circles but i think the 03/04 Z1 FR is too tall for steep climbing and slackens the bike too much for fast twisty singletrack.
    You may be right, in a way - it's definitely something you get used to with regard to the climbing - and the light front end in tight turns [gotta weight it moto-style]...but, when the trail gets pointing downwards and techy, that little extra slack really makes the spot go...

That said, I've been running that fork on it for so long, I have no idea how it'd handle with a different fork - too cheap to try a different one though....anyone want to give away a revelation?
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

banned
    The older ones had taller crowns than the 06/07 models for the same travel setting, no?

not so super...
    Find a used Pike and send it off to PUSH.
    Nothing to see here.

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    I think the ultimate set up would be to buy some 5.5 rockers and get a Pike (which i now have on an 06 Spot) but that is expensive if the OP needs a new hub to get the Pike..
    I just made this very conversion to my 05 Spot - 5.5 rockers w/ Pike and I love it! It's really brought it to life and now I can really charge through the chunk while still maintaining relatively good climbing character.

Bought a Hope2 TA hub for $65 off the Net and had a wheel built all told for $100, so it's not a terribly expensive conversion for the reward of a plush fork and extra travel in the back. I debated for a long time on whether it was all worth it, but one conversation with Jarred at Turner and he convinced me that it a worthwhile upgrade. Glad I took his advice.

Code Burr
    How about one of the new Magura's? They are about the same price as a pike and have real cartridge damping w shim stacks. I wish the Laurin came in 20mm maxle. The dual arch should be as stiff as some of the 20mm forks.